Let me keep it simple

Thursday 23 October 2014

Ubiquity of a Carefree People in Public Service



Aerial view of Machakos bus station

Sometimes traveling using public transport can be a nightmare and traumatizing experience. It is usually characterized by people of different backgrounds and upbringing and it can be frustrating while aboard. First, while in the stage before the bus can make a departure, there are lots of peddlers and hawkers selling their wares ranging from cheap toothpaste, pesticides and insecticides among other things a traveler may need. Worst are those hawkers who bombard you with their wares on your face and you can’t do nothing about it.


I once had a nerving and chilling experience that left me with a sour taste in the mouth. I failed to secure a seat in one of the charted buses that offer a luxurious ride. Henceforth, I was forced to board a country-bus as the last resort since I never knew I would not get a better alternative means of transport as there was an emergency I need to go to urgently attend to. What was worse was the fact that there were very many commuters and the price had nearly doubled. 


The passenger seated next to me was sick and I guess he had also taken some pints before boarding the vehicle. When the vehicle started moving he did vomit on the floor making the air around reek with his refuse. Luckily I was seated next to the window and I opened it and placed my head next to out of the window to allow fresh air to counter the obnoxious smell.

To make matters worse, the seats were sat on were so squeezed and uncomfortable. A lady with her child was seated next to the man as the seats were three. The man was seated between me and the lady who was also traveling upcountry. The man apologized that he was under strong medication and that was the reason why he was feeling nauseated.

The retching did not end soon. When the bus was in steadfast motion, the man again threw up on the floor of the bus this time causing the barf to spill to the floor of the nearby seats. Everyone felt disgusted. It was one of the experiences that I never thought I would witness. The funk in the air was now causing queasiness. My stomach felt unsettled and rumbled as my mouth became full of saliva. It was the kind of bitter saliva that one never thinks of even having a slight attempt swallowing.

Scenes like this are frequent in public transport and it there are even worse cases. I was once told a story whereby the relatives of a very sick passenger decided to take him home to go and spend his final days next to his people. The relatives knew they had a terminally ill patient in the vehicle but still insisted on the patient traveling. In the middle of the journey the person kicked the bucket and it being at night there was no way the body could be taken to the nearest morgue.

The services in public institutions are in a pathetic state. In fact this is not only limited to traveling. Sometimes back I went to visit a patient in hospital and I almost turned into one. The smell in the hospital was not any friendly. It was piercing and disturbing. This was coupled by the fact that I was also feeling a bit of some stomach upset. The air did drain me and I almost became dizzy. Luckily I was not alone and some help came in handy.

Later while in a better hospital where I sought treatment, it was clear that nothing was amiss in my system having gone for lab tests that had negative results. I vowed to rarely go public to hospitals when I am not at my best.



The situation in most public hospitals and institutions that offer service to the people need to change for the better. In as much as the conditions may be deplorable and maintenance a myopic dream, there needs to be a way of ensuring that conditions are improved to bring back sanity. 

Some of the little things we usually ignore can really be disastrous if not seriously taken into account. We have ignored our environment and the nature around it. This has been spew to the places we live and the mindsets we have. It is no longer fashionable to pride in cleanliness. 

I have gone in places and saw looming catastrophes in waiting. We harbor diseases that we can easily fight. People have accepted mediocrity especially the lower middle class and those in the lower echelons in society. You find people throwing garbage with a balderdash attitude since they cannot be held accountable.

That we have lost the green campaign is not in doubt. It will take a whole generation to accept that standards need to be adhered to. If hospitals that should ensure patients recover quickly engage in acts contrary to their mandate and the public condones it, then we are at a loss.

Our systems have been infiltrated because of our love for money.  If we can champion the totality of humanity instead of vested capitalistic interests then we will have made a good head-start. A society that places money first is on the brink of collapse. Money should motivate but again if acquired genuinely it will aid in making the world a better place instead of it having an avalanche of problems that bequeath the average guy on the streets. I would really marvel if a new dispensation that is friendly becomes a reality.

Share:

Blog Archive

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...