Let me keep it simple

Wednesday 15 October 2014

Spoilt child dem days

Spare the rod, spoil the child. True to the saying it also alluded to in the Bible. Childhood memories cannot be reminisced without factoring in the cane. I am sure I was a victim on many occasions and sincerely it had to do with my mischief. As a toddler, I was excited in doing that which I was told not to do. I don’t know whether it was due to mental amnesia or just the fact that the forbidden fruit usually tastes sweeter.

My mother, a strict disciplinarian never entertained any jokes. Till now, residing upcountry, very few can cross her line. Not even my militaristic grandfather could calm her nerves down when her tempers did flare up. She is the kind of lady who did not entertain nonsense. I bet that character has stuck to date. Her love for hygiene and smartness is also what many admire her. A woman of dignity, one may think that she did not step in the doors of any school. If she decided to go ballistic and choleric, not even we her children could stand her, all and sundry went helter skelter.

That brief description cannot sum up her character. There is something about people with such rabid traits. The first thing is to ensure you don’t cross her line. Pleasing her is also easy. Never exchange words. Let her do that with someone of equal words. Know what she likes and keep her busy by telling her stories or engaging her. One thing is that people of this kind are easy to please and they never get piqued when things are right.

As a tot, I was not the best of friends with my mom. I remember one time she was teaching me how to read before I went to class one. It was a terrible day. I was eager to go and play but she had different plans. She wanted me to read the ‘Hallo Children book’ whereas I never knew how to read a sentence. That day I was given a dog beating for not knowing how to read after her. After some few weeks in class one I was able to read and went back to her with the book to read. I guess the reason why I was more psyched to read was only to prove to my mum that I was not that daft.   
As much as my mother was also very meticulous, she was also lenient and loving. That is expected of a majority of nees. At one time while doing my thing on the stairway sliding up and down, I fell down. The next time I woke up I was in bed. At my side was my mum seated there having prayed that her son recuperates early enough. I did recovered quickly and being that gentle mum, she asked me what I wanted. I said I wanted some soda and it was immediately bought from the shop.

My mother had the requisite experience. She knew most things for someone my age. There was a time when multiplication was a hard nut to crack and I was almost in tears. When she enquired and realized that what was disturbing my non hypothetical brain was simple multiplication, she showed me an easy way. At the back of the book was simple multiplication for children my age. With that she cracked the jinx. Later on I crammed the set could even easily divide using the procedure taught.  Maths become so easy. Guess that’s why I never failed till I finished school.

Trips were some of those occasions where the eve was a time when insomnia did set in. My mother knew this and she usually did her best to ensure I was well prepared. A trip to a place like Nakuru would excite the nerves in me to a point where I became impatient. That was also true of the other students who could not wait for the driver to leave the school. Boarders were the worst lot as they screamed of the prison they were leaving to gain some freedom from the walls that denied them association with the outside world and movement.

As rascal, I was also a dare devil. At one point we walked from my place to town to watch a football match with some older friends. That meant we had to use the short route. I tried jumping over a fence and my calf bore the brunt as it was slit by the barbed wire I wanted to jump over. My mum never came to know about it sooner but after a while she did. There was nothing she could do. Damage had been done and the marks are still evident. They do remind me of my well explored childhood.

I still remember playing marbles and chobo ua. One time I was given a severe beating to a point where my head became so hot that I felt I was carrying a ton of a trailer on my head. On another occasion I was playing marbles with my friends. I had five marbles. The game was such that if you hit an opponent’s marble thrice the marble became yours. I was a victim. I lost four marbles. I must admit that was so devastating. I pretended to go to the loo to wipe away my bulging tears as they were too much for me to hold. Realizing this, friends gave me back two marbles. At least they were humane as some would have mocked me even farther for being a cry baby.

My best moments as a tot were watching Chinese and action movies. They made love fighting. At one point in lower primary, I was the most feared figure as none would have attempted to challenge me in a fight. This was compounded by the fact that physically, I was bigger than most of my mates. 

Childhood is a passing fade, as I look back, I realize that the lies we told the fun we had and the games we played in a way did shape the character that is ingrained in us. However much we may deny our current status, the truth is that what one wanted to become in life is usually achieved.

SITUONANE.
Share:

Blog Archive

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...