Let me keep it simple

Sunday 19 October 2014

Campus Gullibility: Duped in the City Twice in a Day


Part One

‘Dammit, I can’t believe we have been victims of a scam?’ my friend Bernard retorted, a muscle bunching in his jaw. Hitherto, he had thought of himself too intelligent to be conned by the ever fraudulent city pranksters.

Flash back and we were back in campus. Three bosom friends were busy whiling away time engaging in palaver having completed the end of semester exams.  The next semester had also come in quick succession and that meant no break-off. We were busy chatting when a call come through.

It was a time Helb was not in the accounts and as such, this meant we had to be creative in getting easy money for survival. In fact, we were just from Tanzania the previous week and our pockets were as hollow as a well with a dry water table. It is that point in time you marshal the few coins in your pockets to buy a decent breakfast which is never that satisfactory.

‘Hello, quickly hurry to the graduation square.’ Those were the exact words from my friend Felix, a renowned book worm. I was googling on my PC. We were in Thomas’s room, a ramshackle, since he considered himself a genuine bachelor who could only be changed by a spinster on the voyage to matrimony. Still the ones he kept were happy with the status quo.

Bernard shared the room with Thomas as the hostel was semi-partitioned to allow for two students in the same room. However it was a challenge staying inside if you had a licentious roommate whose Jaber moaned vociferously to please her beau to to pump harder as sweetness rendered the air. Trust me, you will have a hectic night and those are the times you resort for 'exile'.

My phone was in silent mode but the vibration buzz did alert. I picked the phone and after listening to the caller at the other end of the line informed my mates on the new development.

I was unusually very unkempt on that day. My hair was uncombed and my apparels were a pale shadow of someone who is usually smart. 

Off we set off for the graduation square. Together we were four gentlemen. This was an opportune moment to make some extra bucks. That was precisely what the call was all about.

Upon arrival we met Felix. He was seated at the edge of the staircase leading to the dais of the graduation square. He was not alone. A rough, roguish, brawny and dark-complexioned bouncer looking dude was with him. 

I was taken aback. It had not got to this state. This was uncharacteristic of Felix. I could not believe that Felix could stoop this low. Anyway I was in for the money, the mode of acquisition was not a  major issue.

Felix had met the bouncer; let’s call him Big Mike, while doing research for his thesis paper. His acquaintance was a campus sentinel who hooked him up with Big Mike. 

It is known that birds of the same feather flock together. Chances are the sentry lived in the same locality with Big Mike. 

Felix was with another mate who goes by the name Don. Since Don never wanted to eat the money alone, he called in Hans his loyal adherent to come along with him and us in the new found mine. 

Big Mike also had a close associate who had accompanied him on the same mission. He never talked. Big Mike was our sponsor and he briefed us on what we were supposed to do.

‘There is a certain politician in town who needs your services. In fact he called me on short notice to come and ask you whether you can accompany me to one of his rendezvous. But don’t worry about the dressing. In fact you are well dressed for the task ahead,’ he said.

Our pay was supposed to be about Ksh.1000 and the job would not last for more than two hours. I was salivating. He convinced us beyond any reasonable doubt to accompany him to the venue of the tryst. We did not just take a few minutes to be convinced. Ideally we asked a lot of questions and he even recorded our names and ID numbers for easy pay after the exercise.

Off we went to the tête-à-tête. All together, we were seven lads. Big Mike was walking behind us. He wanted to disguise so as not to be accosted by the marauding city law enforces who could easily pounce on him in the event they saw a person of his physique walking along with naïve and trusting campus lads.

The venue of the rendezvous was at the Supreme Court. Big Mike’s sponsor, a city lawyer, was one of the contestants who had petitioned the court to quash the election of a sitting city Member of Parliament. We never knew the verdict. We were to celebrate the victory by ululating or simply being part of the crowds for hire.

Outside the court were pockets of other crowds of people who were also waiting for the status quo to prevail or nullification of the seat altogether.

After arriving, Don went to meet someone who was more senior to Big Mike with the paper where our names were scribed on. As he carried on with the process, we were busy chatting and giving hypothetical views of the prospects that awaited us.

While waiting for the verdict, something sinister happened. We were ambushed by city council law enforcers. They were very calculating. I bet they had watched us waiting at the grounds where we stood long enough to notice that we were idling, which I bet is a crime.

Hans and Felix were standing at the periphery watching us at a distance before Don joined them. The city askaris approached us unawares. We were caught off-guard. ‘Why couldn’t I just have continued lazing or even doing some research on my end semester research paper?’ I asked myself. 

My heart was thudding fast. I was almost wetting my pants. ‘So I came all this far only to end up being taken behind bars for having been found idling in the city,’ I mused. It was terrifying. The askaris were up to no good. In my pockets I only had a Ksh.50 note which would not be sufficient to bail me out or even win over the hawkish askaris who have a penchant for carrots.

Standing closer was Thomas, Bernard and Japhetic, the seventh musketeer.  Thomas was the most shaken. When he was told to defend himself for the offense he had committed, he started stammering. I could barely make a word from the incoherent discourse he had with the askaris. He was also shivering like a cat that had been rained on. He was not impulsive in a bid to reconcile the affections of people I believe saw as tormentors.

Bernard was more composed since in my view he is usually eclectic. At least he had been caught on a few occasions and did not show any sign of anxiety. A quintessential sot, he had had many run ins with askaris and that experience had prepared him well for this occasion.

Japhetic had roaming eyes. He appeared scared but was trying not to appear coy though a closer look showed he was not bold enough to challenge the askaris head on. In fact I sensed panic among the three of us except Bernard, who though calm all along, did not show any signs he was flustered.


Share:

Blog Archive

RECENT POST

Undressing youself, The echo effect

Once in a while, it's essential to break away, have a debut in the unmined, and see a poignant reflection on the losses brought about by...