Let me keep it simple

Sunday 5 October 2014

Daughters and Sons of Teachers?

Mathematics teacher showing pupils geometry during a mathematics class
Today I want to focus on those people who shape our lives. They are neither our parents nor guardians. They are teachers. But I will narrow down emphasis to primary and secondary school teachers. These are the ladies and gentlemen who really help shape the character and perception of an individual.



My main drive goes especially towards addressing the plight of their children. Indeed teachers have or usually raise their progenies in a way that is a little bit different from the other parents. Have you ever asked yourself why teachers have a high percentage of their children going for some of the best courses on offer in universities? 

As a matter of fact teachers have children who are bright or end up being bright and intellectually savvy. Some of the children who take the top positions in class are usually the children of teachers. Let me confess that though I am not the child of a tutor, my mum had the character of one. But that was just a by the way. None of my parents ventured in the teaching profession.


So what makes the children of teachers tick? I have done a little bit of research and  decided to debunk the myth. Let me say that I also stand to be corrected. The second president of Kenya was a teacher so was the First President of Tanzania and Vice President of Kenya.


There is one thing that is not in doubt about these children. They have availability of resources and are usually under the care of their parents. This is not to say that all the children of teachers are smart and have such trappings. Some are indeed not book smart but they compensate by being great athletes or actors or some end up being the average Jane or John and others dump asses.

Again I have to say most teachers are usually among the most educated in their localities. This makes them not only very influential but also they become the role models and persons that society can look up to. In this regard they usually raise their children with the mentality that they are the victors and they should never let them down by failing perpetually but by struggling hard especially academically. Plus teachers know how to effectively apply the rod. It is said spare the rod spoil the child.

The children of teachers also usually get challenges in life. This is because most teachers by Kenyan standards are paid peanuts (I am not sure of that currently). This means they are not able to procure some of the luxurious items that their children only read about or see on TV. Albeit most teachers usually have televisions in the houses and have ease of acquisition of books. This motivates most of the children of teachers to work very hard in the hope that someday they will own or enjoy the fruits that come with passing exams.

The myths aside, I would like to say that some of the prominent members of my extended family had their parents as teachers. Those whose parents were teachers are the ones who went to university at a time when it was a matter of privilege and status to go to university. Currently any Tom, Dick and Harry can attend university provided you have money.

While in campus, most of my friends were the sons and daughters of teachers. Being in the best University in Kenya is not a mean feat especially due to the fact that we were JAB students. That notwithstanding, these students were bright and I can attest to the fact that they came to campus with the mindset that ‘I must get First Class’. 

Prominent figures I have to allude to in Kenya who had a parent(s) as a teacher include but not limited to Gideon Moi and siblings, Raila Odinga and siblings, and Joshua Oigara and sibling(s). Now you understand teachers are very important in any society.

Sometimes back in high school a teacher asked my fellow students about who wanted to be a teacher. None raised his hand up. Some did not out of fear most as students had big dreams of being medical doctors, engineers, lawyers, actuaries and all the fancy careers that have eye catching titles. In the end very few of my classmates who went to campus became teachers.

Flash-forward and many have completed university. Those who took up the teaching profession either through coercion or by choice are the ones laughing all the way to the bank. Schools are set up daily and the demand for teachers far outstrips supply. Those of us who went in unknown careers are still tarmacking after graduation. The good thing is that none is regretting. I have to underscore the fact that the teaching profession is the best going by our country demands as a developing country.

On my side, I remember my mum beseeching me to opt for a profession in pedagogy.  I don’t regret having not taken the advice. My family has a proliferation of teachers and it’s only fair that we diversify. But I have not placed a permanent caveat in one day deciding to try the profession which in my opinion is more about giving back to the society.
SITUONANE.
Share:

Blog Archive

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...