Let me keep it simple

Friday 3 July 2015

MORINGA BASE


The filthy washrooms are steeped in mold and dirt and the stench emanating from the overused facility makes you feel like wrenching even though you try to keep sane in a squeamish environment that robs you of every little dignity you thought you hard. The nark in you could not withstand noticing that the toilet had no door and the walls were smudged with human excreta.

Flies could be seen hovering over a half-full cup before panning across to dirty floors moist due to moping taking place because it is the rainy season. The two cubicles available were locked, the urinary is unbearably stinking— generally it is an atmosphere which forces one to opt out. On top of the counter are benches which are used for those who turn up at night for keg sipping.

That is one of the pubs found in this lane that is also the home to a number of low income individuals who congregate here to quench their thirst for ale. We call the drinks chang'aa with my pal Alex, a lawyer whose prospects of turning into an advocate are in doubt because of matter finances him being a pessimist with regard to making money to aid him in contriving over the set back. However, since he is still contemplating on his next move, who knows?

Only folivores partake of leaves. And I am not one. Moringa base is place to find your favourite mogoka. If you are a guy who chews moringa or in local parlance 'mogoka' then you probably know where this filthy lane in Nairobi is found. It has many businesses and you are sure to find anything here. Even a random whore is just a call away.

Ideally, I don’t remember the name of the street or is it lane. If anything, it is one of those lanes that have been turned into hotspots for ale downing when it dawns by the ever liquor seeking peons and blue collar proletariats who compromise on hygiene and sanitation in lieu of spending an extra dime in the more ritzy pubs are as realistic as the fact as they need to go to rehab (not me though). Since most drink on the cold laden street, they also urinate on the drainages which are not covered at night. (Presumption because I have never been there at night)

Moringa base (Moringa are leaves that keep one sane to be able to talk for long) is Juen’s beloved hang out open air joint. As a matter of fact, I had been to Moringa sometime more than three years ago. Then, there was a place we used to go watch football and also the place offers an avenue for cancer stick chaps who cannot find a smoking zone demarcated for them in downtown Nairobi.

Juen said that a reddish type of mogoka is good for men's libido which prompted a colleague to ask a fellow unattached female colleague if she was going to act as the guinea pig to verify if Juen’s hypothesis as he claimed was true. That is, if you use the said mogoka, you go three hours non-stop with a lady until that point when the lady being screwed says she needs time to rest or runs out of fluid. (That is an unproved hypothetical theory though. There is also the hypothesis of busaa having the same powers.)

Juen is a renowned figure in this place (Moringa base) because he also does business when free. He tells me he doubles up as a mogoka seller when things are not looking rosy in matters finances. He tells me if he vies for MCA, he will be elected unopposed.

Mi najulikana na watu wengi sana huku.”

He tells me in his characteristic reprimanding loud voice that makes him mortifying if it is your first time to meet him because his facial expression also complements his words before he breaks into a smile that eases the tension. And true to his statement his network of friends, associates and acquaintances perplexes me because he barely walks five steps before colliding with someone he knows. Guess they are shags buddies because this is also the place he boards matatus to his father’s place.

Most of the chaps he interacts with are high on the substance or are selling it outside shops that condone them. Hustling their way out in Nairobi to make ends meet. These chaps have bloodshot red eyes you would think they are what Abbas Kubaff calls in his music, ‘Jicho nyanya.’ God knows that they are also anorexic. Their gaunt faces and paled skin complexion as a result of overuse makes them look like thugs who are synonymous to hardcore crime on the Eastern side of Tom Mboya Street.

Juen also operates a mogoka selling cube which I have never seen though he proclaims to own one. Faecal waste are found on the trenches that are on this lane with score of other garbage. I donno how I survived but I was on a mission to find out something. There was a place where cheap food was being sold but it is now under construction. I had to struggle eating chapo madondo.  The waiters were ladies you feel like they serve you under duress. But they were yellow yellow.

That reminds me that there was this butchery cum pub we went for some boilo because when you buy boilo, you are brought the meat in whole.  Not like when you buy nyama chom or fried beef and some parts are missing because a waiter saw it fit to deprive you off your meat.

One of Juen’s lady students joined us for the meal it being end month and he was feeling papers. Actually I don’t remember her name. For real, but I remember she was one chic who albeit seemed to have standards, she was unwilling to make it to Moringa base. The meat was more than one kilo and we were going to water it down with some illicit second generation liquor I refused to taste because I was not ready to go blind or kick the bucket soon since the contents are not KEBSIFIED. I resorted to my Tusker malt brand which is more trustable.

It was the time when a crackdown on all wines and spirits had been taken a notch higher and it was hard finding a place where you can buy ‘chang’aa’. But Juen said he found them ‘chini ya maji’  because black market is real in downtown Nairobi. Even the police who are supposed to be enforcing the law sometimes find themselves among those caught up in the melee of indulging in illicit.

As a Jameson and Johnny Walker chap (I have been doing these because of where I stay and the people I interact with), I must admit that these cheap liquor have counter effects because they make one a slave due to the cheap amount they are being procured. They also have a nasty smell and you meet people who have lost hope in life taking them.

I did chat the student, let me call her Vera. And guess what, she was also my student. Yes, Vera was among those who stood out because her adiposity clearly distinguished her from her petite and lean mates who were also maybe from teenage rampage. She initially rescinded coming to where we were because she never knew who she was going to find. Think she was flabbergasted to see me.

She was going to sit an exam that evening and wanted me to tell her the probable questions which I had no idea of. Clearly, she is not young, I could tell that her age was ripe judging by her built stature. She knew what she wanted and had had her fair share of frustrations and inadequacies in life. She was well and aptly dressed and we did chat about mundane stuff.

This led us to the recent survey that portrayed Kenyan men as the most faithful. She was of the contrary opine which made me ask her which men are not faithful. She told me that I should rephrase the survey of Kenyan men being the most faithful in Africa to being not faithful.

This prompted me to ask her about which tribe she considered not having faithful men. She started by saying the Kisii are the most unfaithful closely followed by the Meru. I told her to substantiate but she could not but intimated to something to do with matoke. She also said Luos are very faithful as long as you give him what he wants and know how to make a lady feel loved and tendered. But Kuyos are the worse than kisiis or merus. They may have as many as ten women in different places and if you have an altercation with one, he pretends he has gone to meet his boys for a drink but in reality, he is with his mpango wa kando.

I must say this are not the kind of places I can take a lady. It reeked of insolence and penury, not a classy place I prefer going to give a lady the impression that I am man enough. The street is too banal and there is a high likelihood it is teeming with peddlers and hobos who are quite frequent. The sorry state is due to insecurity but as a person who is being brought to get a new experience, I had to oblige.

Moringa Base has deteriorated in standards and no matter the measures put in place to curb the eyesore that it has become; it still becomes the murky and sordid place that it continues to be. The ‘Kanjo’ once in a while pass by the place like when I was there to collect their dues especially now that there are some businesses that have no licenses.

On the given day, the owner of the kiosk being frisked was outside doing business. He is a certain bearded Rasta with a turban on his head. Juen told me he makes a lot of cash because he has vested interest in matters dealing with mogoka and mirra.

On my way out of Moringa base, I met one Anto, an advocate in the making who was a former pal in high-school and campus mate though he was in Parky while I was a main campus boda (buda). He was in Moringa buying cigarettes for someone I was not aware of. I was just wondering how one could be able to buy a workmate cigarettes while he never partook them. Worse is, he knew where they are sold.

We exchanged phone numbers because I had left Juen with Vera to have some me time because I thought she was feeling my loose vibes and could have been swayed to change allegiance. That was not something I was aiming at. I was almost sandwiched between two Githurai buses one moving at a very high speed while the other in stationary motion. I saw kissed death but vowed never to pass next to these vehicles. This was a lesson learnt and that is why I should be having class and standards. Death may appear far but just like that you may find yourself going to meet the creator through the idiocy of someone eager to make money at the expense of taking into account human life which keeps him in business.

HASTA  LA VISTA BABY.


[Picture source: Google Images]


Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...