Let me keep it simple

Tuesday 2 December 2014

You wont believe it


For the short season I spent in campus, I realized that there is complete fallacious notion that is ingrained in students and it does not mean well for the student fraternity.

I believe that equity and equality should be values that are passed on from one generation to another. Life however does not guarantee equality. Even The Most High has never condoned it and that is probable of the reason why he kicked Satan in the butt when he tried to over throw him from the helm of the most powerful seat.

Yes we are in the 21st century, so much has changed in life. Change is something you and I have to appreciate. We obviously have to transition from one stage to the other, failure of which you might find yourself stuck in a rut and you be like, 'When did the rains start beating me?'

Life presents us with so many opportunities and challenges and it is up to one to seize that which he or she fancies or that which comes first as a measure to a new dawn. It is prudent to be decisive and get it right at the onset to clearly get a master plan of what you contemplate in the near future.

Now back to campus, I strongly got the urge to write about campus. Obviously I still have nasty and blinding hangover about the place. I  have to write a real lot to mitigate the raging hangover, so, with no downsides and a whole lot of up, why wouldn't I write to my heart's content, plus it feels awesome and warms my soul. It is something that bites like those bedbugs in my former hostel room. In fact the bedbugs were so mundane that you learnt to live with them like it was a continuum. You were forced to coexist with them. That meant you had to condone not only the bugs but also roaches, ants and an occasional lizard. If you sanity was not that right, you also had rodents also wallowing to deal with.

The bedbugs were the worst nightmare though. I swear it was not a rosy night the first time I was bit. You wake up and you realize your body temperature is skyrocketing yet you are not aware of what is happening. When you switch on the lights, you feel you are alright. In Uon main campus, the worst hostel is Hall 9. It has an army that has duly been christened 'maboys'.

Every beginning of semester, dudes have to go to the local agrovet near globe round-a-bout where they buy insecticides to the rein on the bugs. This is usually a temporary measure as the real bedbugs of UON are found in the dirty floors, walls, beds and wardrobes. Student Welfare Authority should do something concerning the mattresses, beds and general hygiene of all hostels. This also includes those inhabited by a girls.

The smell that effuses upon killing a bedbug is usually very awful and has a distinctive wretched odour with tad spots of dark stained blood instead of crimson that emanate from squeezing the ratched insects. The odour is so undeniably offensive and equally smells as putrid raising ones gorge if not accustomed to the pungent smell. The smell of a dead bedbug is unmistakable in its odoriferoous and cloying funk to those who know the vile that the bugs have on the human body. 

I have never understood the reason why UON is the most segregated campus in the whole of Kenya (my thoughts). It duly starts with Main Campus. Those who open books in main campus are considered the idle guys of campus. I used to be a main campus bugger and I must say I almost changed campus but realized that it all was futile.  

Main Campus is the bedrock of student politics. You easily get caught up in the fray considering the fact that most students are not wholesomely academic giants, it's easy to appease them during their free time. Politics is fun but highly competitive. But if you cannot stomach it, too bad. It's dirty and very besmirching and can be ugly. You need to have big balls kende to surmount the challenge.


Someone needs to enlighten me as to why arts based causes are considered mediocre and not worthy of status yet they are more relevant in Kenya than the science ones. Chiromites (students from Chiromo) usually feel they are more qualified to study in campus than their Main campus counterparts. The notion that they passed their exams in high school better than those in Main Campus has never got over their heads. They think they are the crème de la crème of UON. Please, I beg to differ.

Chiromo is the lousiest campus if my opinion serves me right. Clearly, as you take Prof. Maurice Alala road, you feel the reclusivity that is synonymous to this campus. It has all the trappings of Guantanamo. Yours truly wonders why most of the comrades from Chiromo have a larger than life perception of themselves in comparison to their Main Campus counterparts. Yet they still sleep in the wretched wooden prefabricated hostels of UON located in the MAIN campus of UON when freshers.

Could it be that the lecturers in Chiromo have fed them with conservative thoughts like those of Joseph Goebbels, the Nazi Propagandist, as to why they belittle Main campus comrades. When students demonstrate, it is the main campus stalwarts, when issues that besmirch arise, it is students from main campus. Upus. Some of those buggers in Chiromo are so good in pelting stones so much so that you will be flabbergasted as to how and when they crafted the skill especially when there is an altercation with the boys in blue. Is this not a trait of a savage, maybe a homo sapien just out of evolution gaining intelligence on how to express anger?

The acts of main campus guys however control the whole institution that is UON. If they sneeze, the other campuses catch a cold. Main Campus is the juggernaut of studies in campus. Actually it is the heart of the University of Nairobi.

Oh! The bedbugs. Ouch, they still give me those memories that bite. I left everything I went with to campus except for some clothes and a few necessities that I presumed had no eggs or traces of the insects. Most of my friends also did. 



What have I to say about UON? So much. Someone told me it gave me the due title MR. If that title is worth it, then I deserve it. I am indebted to UON then. But the hustle continues, till that time when I shall cross the river to Suburban Nouveau Riche, the kind of place I aspired to as a kid from my split-level, shag-carpet side of town. It is the West side of Nairobi where UON is located and I still cherish my erstwhile dreams of pristine and hustle free aura of boisterous life after smart work. SITUONANE.

Share:

RECENT POST

Undressing youself, The echo effect

Once in a while, it's essential to break away, have a debut in the unmined, and see a poignant reflection on the losses brought about by...