Let me keep it simple

Saturday 6 April 2024

The Job Market Queasiness

Securing my first job felt like stumbling upon a coveted opportunity, akin to discovering a rich platinum deposit. The murky world of employment is laborious and tough. Jobs are transient, and the sheer pith of comfort is what we should strive to overcome. You discover there is more to a career than just a paycheck. You need to be in constant motion. Interestingly, I've observed a widespread appreciation for local cuisine. As a nation, we aspire to have locally curated eateries selling standard recipes. The challenge lies in operationalizing the outfit to transform it into a franchise. This would involve opening multiple branches funded by local investors, akin to how citizens eagerly invest in government bonds and bills.

Honesty and integrity are paramount in the job market. Transparency and a clean professional record are non-negotiable. While practical skills and experience hold weight, academic qualifications often become crucial, especially in competitive scenarios. A degree may seem trivial until it becomes a prerequisite for a desired position. Strong academic credentials not only demonstrate a foundation of knowledge but also a dedication to learning and growth. Education should be seen as an investment in acquiring the skills and knowledge necessary to thrive in your career path.

I fondly recall the days when I eagerly aspired to be associated with a corporate entity. This was my take on the typical path; transitioning into the workforce, drawing a salary, and embracing adult responsibilities. Often, the next phase is succeeded by matrimony, followed by family planning. Then come the goals of purchasing a car, building a house, and investing for the future. It's a familiar lifestyle that many of us are accustomed to. 

Landing a job marked the initial stride in my quest to achieve the goals I had set forth. A decade has flown by since my graduation, and the picture is quite different from what I had envisioned. The milestones of owning a car, getting married, and buying a house remain on my to-do list, illustrating that life's journey often takes unexpected turns.

Certainly, I care, albeit not with the expected intensity. There are moments when I ponder if I've missed out on fulfilling certain expectations during the opportune times. There was an opportunity for marriage that I let slip away, hindered by deep-seated apprehensions. Perhaps, at that juncture, marriage didn't seem like the right path for me. As for finances, I tend to spend freely, without much thought. I value experience over possessions. You might be conflicted to think I indulge in excess and enjoy savoring life's pleasurable moments.

Looking back, I realize there's not much I can claim as my own, and surprisingly, it doesn't weigh heavily on my mind. Even the laptop I'm currently using isn't mine; it's on loan from the company. I used to own some laptops but chose to distribute them for free. Now, with this company-issued equipment, I'm restricted from installing software. Should I attempt to do so, it would trigger an alert to the administrators.

If you catch the attention of hawk-eyed admins, they won't hesitate to hold you accountable for violating company policies. And that means being under the radar. The framework that companies employ to safeguard their infrastructure is exceptionally robust and complex. It encompasses a vast array of measures that sometimes I find myself thinking, "I will utilize whatever access rights I have been granted. Beyond that, life continues." 

The primary reason we interview for jobs is to secure a source of income. However, it's considered inappropriate to directly express this to the recruiter by saying, "I'm here for the money." Such a statement could jeopardize your chances during the interview process. Consequently, many candidates refrain from showing too much enthusiasm and adopt a more reserved demeanor until an offer is extended. If successful, you accept the offer; otherwise, decline courteously.

As a corporate employee, I am obligated to comply with the company's rules and regulations. This often entails maintaining a modest and cooperative attitude. In many cases, voicing concerns or asserting oneself, especially regarding compensation, is not advisable unless your contributions are recognized and valued by the employer. If you have demonstrated significant value to the organization, that could provide stronger grounds to leverage for fair compensation. Conversely, if the company has played an instrumental role in your professional development, your treatment and compensation will likely align with their standards and expectations. You have not shown ingenuity in small matters.

There will be a point where, as an employee, you will quiver with revulsion. You may have entered the workforce with high hopes, believing that your qualifications and certifications would secure you a favorable position and pay. Yet, unexpectedly, you find yourself in a role that's worlds apart from what you envisioned, tasked with beginning afresh. At that point shadows of gloom loom over your destiny, far removed from the deal you thought you made. You feel like you are in a conundrum. The intensity of the situation is so clear and so plausible. However, despite the turmoil, there's a sense of calm that settles in when the day is done.

Some, like yours truly, are trapped in a state of inertia, unable to muster the courage to update their resume. The thought of revising it feels daunting and overwhelming, akin to a bitter taste or something apocalyptic. There is beauty in brevity. The entire process of job applications is rife with regret, making it a dreadful endeavor. It has created a fallacy of inflexibility and the danger of being indoctrinated that jobs are hard to find.  You feel like you are in trouble, floundering in a swamp and you need an employer to throw a rope your way to save you from drowning. It can feel like being stuck in quicksand, desperately waiting for an employer to extend a lifeline. In a bid to escape this rut, you might consider hiring a recruiter to revamp your resume and usher in positive energy. There's often the allure that a new employer will offer greener pastures and a better working environment.

Hasta La Vista, Baby.

Share:

RECENT POST

Undressing youself, The echo effect

Once in a while, it's essential to break away, have a debut in the unmined, and see a poignant reflection on the losses brought about by...