Let me keep it simple

Saturday 29 November 2014

I don’t hang around guys with smashed phone screens



I taciturnly never have the nerves of condoning guys who have smart phones that they never take care of. What is it with people clutching beat-up cellphones with screens so cracked that spider-web-like patterns creep across the glass. Jeso, your phone is the only tech gizmo that people can see owing to the fact it is a priced possession that you have to display wherever you are and whenever you go. 

So many people nowadays own phones with cracked screens as if it is a trend that has gone viral. Apparently there is that one person whom you know who can repair that hideous crack but never does so. I know of many guys who have always said that they will repair the crack but as they say in Swahili, “Usioziba ufa utajenga nyuta.”

So the other day I was in the gas station refueling my car and I decided to inquire for the till number since I had no hard cash on me and I wanted to make the payment. I was with my lil sister whose phone apparently had also cracked. She lowered the car glass window and the station attendant saw her cracked phone screen.

Immediately the dude asked why her screen was still responsive to touch while his phone was not able to respond ever since it had cracked. My sister is sometimes brisk and gauche with such kind of peeps owing to her nature,  some of my friends also told me I had that demeanor  till I became tactful and diplomatic with words. She told the guy point plank that his was a Chinko phone and as such could not compare with her windows phone. I don’t like windows phones though.

Of course the guy became red faced but had to soldier on since letting go of an argument like that could have shown how debased he would have been. 

Cracked smart phone screens are not only obnoxious, they are irritating. In fact I usually think people who own such phones are slapdash in their general lifestyle. I have never been a victim of cracked phones. The biggest culprits I have realized are women. Most women have phones with smashed screens. This is typical of mothers with tiny tots who have just discovered the knack of holding objects or those who are adept but when irate drop such objects like it is cinder.

Men are also not left out either. If truth be told, most of this guys who frequent drinking dens and those who binge till late are also culpable victims. They usually lose their senses but not phones ending up possessing broken screen phones. Most of these culprits habitually forget that they need to take care of their phones. As such they frequently break the glass screen and never bother to repair. It is sometimes ignoble of such men to spend lots of cash entertaining friends but they can’t use a fifth of what they spend on freebies to repair the cracked phone.

If you can’t repair your phone, then hide it from public view. This is analogous to driving a wreckage of a vehicle on the road. No one will tell you that it is not pleasing but it will show subtly in their face. Some people will grimace as they will twist their mouths either left or right producing the ‘mschew’ sound if you listen keenly. Try owning a cracked screen. 

Unfortunately the services of iCracked are still not available in Kenya. Plus they are limited to Apple and Samsung Phones while most Kenyans own Techno phones. The tech experts and engineers who work at the site are well versed with repair of smashed screens and they charge an arm and a leg for the service.

A poll conducted in London among those in the 18-24 age group consider damaging a phone as much as a disruption to their daily lives as being struck down with the flu. 

Don’t these guys with smashed screens find it galling reading texts or posting photos on instagram and facebook super blurry? Isn't the screen’s razory shards a distraction or is it that they are used to it that way and have henceforth become so accustomed to the extent they can juggle things in a strange twist only synonymous to them? This reminds me of those who knew where the mobile phone keys were in the event one had either qwerty or the normal old school phones. Such chaps would accurately type words in their phones and send while sitting in a lecture hall without being noticed.

For young guys probably out of high school or freshmen or sophomores, a cracked gives some sort of street cred. It is like the unshaven faces they spot, unwashed hair they keep or ripped or low-ridding jeans they adorn. If this is a trend then I probably ran out of tweets to twit.

I read in some gutter that ‘Apple specifically came up with an already broken screen custom made for college students who had a penchant for one. ’ I don’t know how true the rumour was as I have never seen such phones.

Whether a cracked phone is a form of self-expression or accidentally got knocked off a table or slipped from the hands, I still can’t stomach the sight of such phones. I know that cracked phones are expensive to repair but that does not mean you still walk around with one if you can repair it. However fragile a phone is, try to keep it look like a gadget worthy of carrying around.

SITUONANE.
Share:

Blog Archive

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...