Let me keep it simple

Monday 24 November 2014

Anan: The last minute guy




Part One

'Sometimes things fall apart so that better things can fall together' Marylyn Monroe.


Today I had to jav (use a Matatu) in the morning on my way to start a pristine phase in my life. I had slackened if I compare the far I have reached in comparison to proletariat mates who got an early reprieve of self reliance. I had been lax and content or maybe I had regressed if matters employment are concerned. My use of a Mat was strategic. It was spurred by the fact that when you are a rookie you need to depict the true stature of one and heutzutage I took a Mat.

Flash Back and it is on a Thursday of the previous week when I got a call. It was from KEPSA. A certain lady who I don’t remember introducing herself called and asked me to attend a training camp in Kabete. After the nitty gritty I got the message. Kabete it was for a lolling former campus morph who was now a driver for hire. I offered my services freely provided you paid for gas. Free like the Lord has oxygen to his beloved mankind. I had applied through trial and error all the prospective jobs till I got tired and lackadaisical. However, I was upbeat but selective in application though.


I informed few, it was not a prospect I was buoyant about. But it was an experience I was eagerly awaiting as a means to jumpstart a new venture of being useful to society and the country and all who ever cared. Hitherto, my bravado had been punctured and this opportunity is something I had to seize.


When I informed my peeps, they became happy, in Primary composition lingo – as happy as a lark. I know that’s lame. There are pupils who can do better by coming up with better words than I have but again, it has to do with many years of being out of that institution.

I recall my mum advising sagaciously, “When you go there, do anything they say. It may be a test of how humble you are. Even if it means washing the ablution blocks, just do it.”

That did remind me of  the good old days in Lazz High. We used to koroga dem ‘abolu’ like it was a hobby while still freshmen in High school. Mwas in Nairobi Half life only does a tad of what we had to endure and it makes him a novice in comparison to our amateur standards then. But we made it. Though I was kind of lucky coz I was in charge of form ones in my hostel and that meant supervision and less of washing. I did delegate the tasks but sometimes guys would be all over me and once in a while I had to wash the blocks.

Today I was stir awake with my young bro, a high school scholar in search for an elusive success in exams. It is 0500hrs. I am used to 24hr clock by default. Ever had of the anecdote of the lass who plied her business in a red light district and got confused when a young soldier told her that the last time he had received the services was in 1956 and it was the year 2010. The time then was 2000hrs. Reason why my wrist is not bedecked in Emporio Armani, Rolex, Omega or Alpina is a story for another day. Bob Colymore spent a cool 800 Gs on one if gutter press are truthful in their insinuation. I love this man’s flair.

0730hrs was the time I had had to be in Kabete. So I had presumed if I did my things before six, I could make it in time or on time. Of course I had all my documents ready. It was like a routine to have them being a hustler. Photocopies and The Originals (not the series).

0550 I did exit from the house. I had to take two ‘Nganyas’, One to town and the next one from town to Kabete. I never carried or wore any pullover or jacket as it was not that cold. (I rue not having).

I arrive in town thirty minutes later. It is a journey that takes you five minutes via a PC. But with mats and it is a weekday, I oblige. I am in search for the Alchemist. You only tire when you’ve talked to him and he had shown you the art of  turning gold into stone. Sorry stone into gold.

In town, the Kanges (Bus conductors) know that young dudes and dudettes are headed to Kabete. “Technical fifte Technical fifte.” I am right. Star Bus it is.  I take a seat and off we go. We never pass by my alma mater, I swear this could have been disastrous. Good that we headed straight into Westie, the country’s entertainment capital. We arrive in Kabete, it is 0700hrs.

The last time I was in Kabete was like 3 years ago. As an amateur car expert, a novice had hired my services to go and aid him in making a decision on whether to procure a car he had in mind or not. It was the same car I drive to date so I could not vouch for one. Such kind of cars are pesky and though economical, they are not a symbol of status on the road. No sane Nairobi lady in her right senses can date a man with one. Ladies, try men in Bavarian Monsters they know how to care. You are sure you will be in able hands.

I am at Kabete technical training institute. Approximately 3500 youth are in the process of changing their destiny aujourd’hui. Kabete, I can't seem to find the right diction that properly captures the depiction of this institution. Notice the words kind of form a rhyme scheme.

I came here for the experience. It's not that I am desperate. Okay. I must admit I have been a desperate psychic blogger in search of new experience.


Here I see many youth. Boys dressed in suits, boys in jeans, boys in sports shoes, boys who have gone to the gym, boys in high-end fake Chinese phones and some in cheap Finesse phones. Boys listening to music via headphones. Boys chatting. Boys who rival Bob Marley hairwise. And yes boys who have contacts. One is talking of how his area councilor hooked him up with the papers for applying. Are they not called MCAs?

I also see girls. Yes, this is the best bit. My heart beats fast. I am elated. I notice a girl wearing red lipstick. Of late red lipstick has made the average girls stand out in crowds. I see young girls, just out of teenage rampage and those still reeking of high school githeri. They are chatting. I listen to the music on the loud public address system. It captures my attention. I love music. On this occasion however, it sounds like I am a hopeless fellow. The music is gospel. It is synonymous to what Bahati sings about. Cries here and there. These are what I consider dirgic songs. ‘Soon and very soon we are going to see the king’ and ‘Bwana u sehemu yangu’ are played. I resign. You know you are playing the Russian roulette. Is this a do or die venture? 

Two girls seated behind me talk. Talk talk talk till I listen. Nothing much to write home about just girly issues.

I see girls like Saartjie Baartman. Reminds me of Kim Kardashian. She exploits herself as the new Hottentot Venus. Talk of her breaking the internet with her recent nudes and having done the pics for free. I see girls who have shaved like Ballo. He has been a waste to the former EPL giant. Methinks these girls should join the likes of Vera or Huddah. But first Buoart should provide them the requisite taciturn approval and Ghafla the essential marketing to prospective clients. They know the socialite business like porters know how to make good concierges. If you are never given the green light by the two you will probably find yourself in Kabete. Yes, waiting for whatever comes may.

Share:

Blog Archive

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...