Let me keep it simple

Sunday 26 February 2017

A SALES VIBE


Have you ever asked yourself what you cannot do? Seriously, there is nothing that I cannot do provided I am assured of legitimate income. Hustling on my part is real. I have to juggle a lot of tasks concurrently. I guess I have no rest metrics. Many people I have talked to have hustled in different ways, I think I have been only through a struggle that though I find tough, it’s quite below par in comparison to what others have gone through. All in all, it’s interesting though I think I may burst sometime because of over commitment.


I have seen some wear mascots; standing in risky positions in order to sell to customers.  The reality is there is a problem in the job arena. Then there were this chaps who used to wear rolling skate shoes to market products to individuals gliding perilously notwithstanding the possibility of being knocked out by a deranged oncoming driver. What I know is that there are many who are being exploited by profit-making scam artists and individuals who put the gullible youth at risk of injury and death especially with regard to marketing using skates. Let me not talk about the Airtel agents who sell phones and mobile phone lines in strategic lanes and streets that have human traffic amid the issue of probity being an underlying factor.


Albeit, no one notices this guys, they are salespeople, a Kenyan youth who is in need of something called money. Yet, many don’t last long in the job. Frustration and pressure highly contribute in the high turnover in some of the jobs people take. If you don’t meet your daily target, you are as good as spent cartridge.


I hate to say this but we have been reduced to a Nairobi that has turned many a youngster, straight from high school, college or university into lackadaisical and disillusioned individuals who are having hopes that tomorrow will be better. And it will be if you can sell more to many clients while the truth is the person you are enriching that guy who pushes you to the edge to bring in the figures so that he is also not rendered jobless because as at now, I fear being jobless more than I fear quitting. The average proletariat will do anything to maintain the status quo, a scenario I am in and I am entangled and when I feel like exiting, I remember that there are really no jobs for a no tall relative proletariat like me. So, I have to wait for my blessings where I am or when they will shuka.


The truth about sales is that you are normally on your own. Once you are bequeathed with product knowledge, you are required to go roam the streets and offices to find clients. Nobody knows rejection better that a salesperson. Whether on phone, by some receptionists who are as cold as ice, civil servants in offices or guards and sentries who have to follow instructions because the job depends on it.


Why have we been reduced to job seekers and salespeople. Could it be because we love the easier route? Guess someone needs to find out why there are more sales positions than any other position being offered by many organizations. And you sometimes don’t get a retainer just commissions. What is worse is that even the reputable brands do not have better terms for a rookie. On the contrary, what is good about established brands is the fact that they give you a leeway in some situations because they may be an easy sell.


In short, Nairobi has become a micro sales economy, which is not a bad idea given that many manufacturing industries have been rendered redundant and I am also finding myself enrolled in many Facebook groups with many multi-level sellers with a lure of easy quick money until…... Salespeople are however broke and disheveled, apart from a few whose pockets run deep they never know the trials and tribulations of the non-performer. I know of many who will go and take a nap in open places just to forget about the fact of finding unwilling clients. That’s a story for another day.


I know this may sound harsh but while a salesperson is sweating it out, in the field, there is another person who is seated waiting to reap from the sale and piling pressure if targets are not met because that’s how they get paid and you also get paid as a salesperson. What I know about sales is that it is more about passion that ability to earn. It’s skewed towards one side of the curve and if you are not willing to soil your hands dirty, sometimes get arrested and all that, the truth is try it at your own risk. If you sincerely know your personality, it’s sometimes better to give it a wide berth. But if you are in for adventure, making lots of cash, not fearing to get frustrated, loving what you do, then it’s the best job ever. You can work very few hours achieve results and you will be smiling all the way to the bank having surpassed the targets earlier on while someone is busy trying to close the first sale.


Hasta la vista baby.


[Picture source: Pixabay]
Share:

RECENT POST

Undressing youself, The echo effect

Once in a while, it's essential to break away, have a debut in the unmined, and see a poignant reflection on the losses brought about by...