Let me keep it simple

Friday 10 March 2017

LUNCH IS A LUXURY


Unlike some employers, mine has given me enough time to settle down but there is only one thing that is keeping me in place. Hope that tomorrow will not be the same like yesterday. Hope that good tidings lay ahead that will come to my advantage. Hope that the hope of holding on should keep on burning with zeal even if pressure is too much. The bottom line is that amid all these, the end result will be more of a laughter.



Virtually, to this point, there is no single role as an employee that is free of pressure. I did chat with one of the sentries at work and he said it was featuring immensely in his day to day endeavours but he remains upbeat even though his main duty is to ensure the premises is under tight surveillance free from ambush by men and women of ill character.



Hitherto, I thought that pressure was tied only to my current job. I was forgetting that there is a sole proprietor who is antsy somewhere out there about the fact that he needs to keep the business running and customers streaming in through versatility, creativity and picking up even when the shards of hope are like an oasis in the desert.


The bottom line is even if you love your work, even if you are indifferent about what you do, if you allow contentment, you will not be feeling the pressure that boils. Meeting targets is not an end to itself, there is something more than that, that drives the human in us to perform. Some people easily meet targets in the workplace but they are not motivated and zealous. They know they have variables to take care at the end of the day, once they have accomplished that which is required of them, they silently feel some form of inadequacy and dejected. They feel used and unappreciated. That’s why they start being rebellious. Yet none notices this. What is worse is when they have no avenue of transcending their status which has not changed a decade down the line because someone feels they should not move to the next stage because of the vital role they play in aiding the business get business.


So many of us are tied in the wrong jobs but the fear of the other world of unemployment make us stick like glue around hoping that if we accrue the necessary experience and have the academic papers to the job we want we will get satisfaction. Wrong! The truth is, a new role does not mean satisfaction, a new role will have its inhibitions and monotony just like the former role. What makes it different is not even the love of it, just a little bit of progress can make one feel like there is something to achieve.


A while ago, a former colleague once told me a fact about some of the people we work with and I underestimated his jibe. Coming to think of it now, I have realized that there is some truth in what he was saying. Most of us do not have those clothes that we can say are admirable. Well, if you meet someone for the first time, the way he or she is adorned speaks volume if you have not heard him utter words that may also be used to gauge his intellectual capacity.


Many of my colleagues are in a school like uniform. And the sheen in the attires does not inspire at all. The old fashioned corporate textures that is reflected in our sense of self. Few look presentable in tailored and fitted clothes that do not expose but add towards making one look glamorous. This inadequacy is not only limited to the not so fashion conscious men in the house, but it is also reflected in ladies and you feel like ‘umechoka’ because we like to associate with people in stylish dress codes. Guess all this has to do with confidence and lack of peer pressure to look good. Someone should look into this because successful people show it first in their attire.


The field of sales is one that is full of jealousy and selfishness. A performing sales guy will never want to tell you the trick of making it in any way. There are times when I have asked for help from those I admire on how to go about the business but the result has not been appealing. All the possible prospects you try to engage suddenly developed cold feet because they have this fear that you may enter their market and turn the tables, which may also not be true. Well, as opposed to school where if you go to someone for help, they do it willingly, in this field of sales, it is different.


Those was assigned to help me out when things were not moving gave empty promises as to why they would not help me out in the quest for making my debut. They remained taciturn when you approach them to be of aid. So, what’s next. Even the manager somehow could not figure out how to do it. It’s that bad when a team cannot be able to deliver. Aint it this acts of selfishness that make us unprogressive?


Looking at the bigger picture, I can be able to piece up this jinx. Rarely do we eat lunch as people working for a reputable institution. Most of us become broke even before the end of the first week of payday. Yet we survive. The number of shylocks who are on our case is just outstanding. Most live beyond their means, and they rarely can account for their income even though some have earned enough in the previous years so much so that if you were witty, you would only have your day job as a supplement to the other income generating activities if you were sane enough to have one.


That I skive lunch does not mean I am doing so out of want, it is because circumstances have pushed me not to have it. And it has also contributed heavily in my anorexia towards eating super. I survive mostly on fruits and maybe tea. Eating ugali is just to heavy for me. Why? After spending the day looking for work while at work, I barely have the strength to consume stuff like that, talk of being tired. Incidentally, I am employed but must look for work to be at work. If I don’t look for that work, I am ineligible and am taking the business at a loss even though the four-digit retainer makes me look vaulted. Again, juggling studies after work especially CFA thing makes it even tough but all in all, I have got used to the tough conditions anyway.


As for those who eat lunch which is a luxury ever since I became an employee, my bet is that you are doing well. If I were to incorporate that meal in my budget, trust you me, I would barely make it to work in the fourth or third week of the month. Yet, I still want to date, look chic, and be seem that I work as opposed to being idle.


Hasta La Vista Baby


[Picture Source: Pixabay]
Share:

RECENT POST

Undressing youself, The echo effect

Once in a while, it's essential to break away, have a debut in the unmined, and see a poignant reflection on the losses brought about by...