Let me keep it simple

Sunday 12 February 2017

KITH AND KIN


One day after work, a certain pneumatic lady in some fitting jeans caught my eye from afar while I was talking to a pal on the streets who works for the biggest carrier in the country. It was his first day in town after a long while because they work from the outskirts on the east side of town. The virility in me could not wait for the conversation to end, so I decided to follow her after excusing myself even though she had gone quite some distance. Indeed, if I was not smitten, then I was probably hexed because I just found myself following her to the mat and I sat next to her. Deliberately. Is this even normal?


That's how I realized that I was indeed enchanted. A makeshift emotion it was coming to think of it.


When you are curious about something, you need to do all that entails to quench your thirst for the zeal. It’s a step that if you take, you will feel relaxed at the end of it all because the heart will be at rest once you have satisfied the urge.


So, I decided to follow this curvaceous lady to the next available mathree to find out where she was going to. Nonetheless, she was headed in a totally different direction as opposed to the one I was to going to. Then something told me to enter the mat she was in and I found her all alone. Hitherto, I had not yet talked to her.


I had only seen her from the back because there is also this oomph that comes with walking with a lady with ample derriere as a guy. I only followed her from the back because I could not summon enough courage to engage her in the streets of Nairobi. Again, I was with a friend engaging in petty chat when she passed so I had to quickly formulate a rhetoric just to follow the said damsel. And one of the best things about this chickis is that when they are alone, rarely do men love approaching them. They just love ogling and that’s it. Kula kwa macho.


I remember waiting for her to enter the mat first as I speculated on my next move. She went and sat alone in a seat not far away from the conductor in a mat headed to Umoja. I guess she was expecting me to sit next to her as she quickly adjusted herself since she was initially occupying too much space with her wide hips. She is those kinds of ladies who appear small from above but when she stands, you wonder why the Almighty made humanity such a complex phenomenon.


The coward in me could not start a conversation because I was first looking for a line to break the ice plus the music playing in the background was too loud forcing me to weigh options because again this was not the route I normally use while headed back to the digs. I was contemplating staying or just alighting and stop the profligacy of heading where I was not supposed to because of a damsel I don’t know out of sheer ‘ufisi’. That’s the time I realized that there are times when the strength of woman can be reason enough to engineer the downfall of a man. Hope I will be able to outdo the temptation in future when kakitu comes.


The music was playing in the mathree was so loud. Every now and then, I had to twitch and tweak to have a real feel of this bodacious babe. I guess she knew I had some hidden agendas in mind and could not help but just trust that what she was either given by her mama or modified by a doctor was really driving us the male species nuts. She knew something was coking but trust ladies who know they have a weapon against men to act as if there is nothing cooking. Naturally, I am not into such kind of ladies. Given that she was also too big for the standard size I usually love in a woman, I guess I was in just for the adventure. An adventure that I cannot further because I have forgotten about her and thinking only about the lady who gives me sleepless nights sometimes because this babe was surely a Jezebel.


The first attempt at breaking the ice with her was not wrought. Since the blaring music was too loud, she pretended as if to imply that she had not heard me. I decided to keep mum because she was also looking at the window instead of facing me, which I considered quite rude. But what made me not lose hope is the fact that I have over the years developed this thick skin that even if you become snobbish, I will still find a way of letting myself into you through unorthodox methods until that point where I must give up and leave.


One of the things I have experimented with ladies with mind boggling curves is that they usually seem conscious but will not embarrass you by acting mum when you approach them. As for yours truly, I cannot mind approaching a lady who is alone and depicts the character of someone who will not start creating scenes by shouting herself hoarse as if a gang of thieves has descended on her wallet. It’s called being a hunter. At the end of the day, you know where your heart belongs.


While looking at her, I saw a certain guy selling PK and decided again to engage this chic I was with by coyly telling her, ‘Excuse, si ukiona huyo jamaa wa pk uniitie ninunue.’ That attempt backfired like a failed firecracker because no conversation ensued even though I was intending to have quite a chat. She only nodded then returned to the position she was facing outside.


The vehicle was now in a jam. One thing about a nganya is that it will use all possible ways to make it to the destination faster even though it is illegal because of the routes they use with constant overlapping. I remember I wanted to pay her fare and ingeniously peeped into her wallet to probably find out if she was carrying new Gs but was encouraged when I realized that it was not as fat with remnants of a G.


There is something intriguing by courageously being seated next to a lady you would love to talk to but develops this hard to get mentality. Honourably, there is nothing honorary in this. I almost wanted to pay for the lady’s fare but when remembered I had carried fixed fare, I had to retract kiasi. I could see she was looking at me with those eyes of can you be a man and pay you damn broke loser. I had to act roho ngumu kama mawe. Not that I am normally stingy, but life situations have forced me to take this route.


Moments later, we were now on Outering road, a landmark considered to be the gem of Eastlands. It’s still taking shape and one side of the way is used by cars headed in opposite direction since it is still under construction.


The driver of the vehicle was asked to pull over for careless overlapping which had been monitored by the boys in blue for a while. Incidentally, the driver had no driver’s license and I could hear the conductor making frantic calls to a driver within the area to go and take over the reins of the machine. Apparently, the driver was even high on substance and was quickly whisked away by the police who are on a high affinity for bribe.


At that point, I remember asking the lady some silly questions which I knew the answer. Like asking if the driver had been caught when it was in fact an open secret. Being a less dramatic queen, she answered them courteously as passengers were now alighting from the vehicle.


Initially, I had overheard a conversation in which she was talking to a guy who wanted her to meet her in town but she said she was already headed to the house and could not turn back. Since other people were alighting, she decided to join them and head back to town. I also had no option but to alight since it was a clear waste of my time having skived reading that day to go and do other things.


I alighted when she I had seen she was headed to town alone and went to go chat with her. Well, as I was contemplating asking my next move, I could see men looking at her and making those comments that can easily land one in jail for having sexually abused a lady through looking with ill intent and making unsavory comments.


Since I had already talked to her, it was easy to start on a conversation about her, where she worked and well, if she was ready to mingle which was not my intent. Sometimes, I usually want to know new people. That’s it. When it was time to depart, I tried asking for her number but she denied me the right. For sure, I felt despondent but thinking about it again, there was no likelihood I would ever call her back. The number would have ended up being among the defunct contacts on my cell list. Plus my phone had already lost died and in any way, I would have been forced to inscribe her number down.


In the workplace, when you stay longer, you will notice something that we most people usually take for granted. Nepotism is rife. Let me call it so for lack of a sugar coating word that makes it to sound more appetizing. Over the short period that I have worked in this corporate body, I have come to realize that if you have a tall relative at the helm, chances are you may not be struggling sometimes with issues pertaining to continuity of your contract or performance. Again, if you are qualified, you quickly transition to a better role which is less of a hustle and may be low on pressure. While the beneficiary enjoys the fruits of the senior’s hard work, the bugger probably had to earn the position to make it easier for the kith or clandes to be there.


Well, there is no underestimation of the power of kin when it comes to being in a job. There is something I may call return the favor. Once, a certain dude we were working with told me of the fate of a guy he was in campus with who just had to swap roles because he was interested in joining the bank while his Oldman worked as senior in the brewery. His folk decided to make a phone call and that was it. There was vacancy but on condition the other guy could reciprocate by offering the banker’s son with a marketing job in the brewery. That, unfortunately is how jobs are traded out here. Nipe nikupe.


And that is how the roles were swapped. It's just life, if your peeps never hustled to create a network of the whos and whos in society, you cannot achieve feats as fast as you would have wanted if you are not very aggressive. It takes time to be able to get to the place you want in life. There are many who give up along the way. Like I gave up on the bodacious babe I met because I could not see myself ever wanting to talk to her because she was like something I admire and that's it.


When I sometimes hear the same in the institution I work for, I tend to think that it will be even worse for our progeny if we are not able to make hay while the sun shines. If you have a brother and he is performing, then there is no problem. Performance outdoes all other things, right. On the contrary, there are sometimes rumors that some of those kith end up having insider information and there was one who was due for exitation but as fate would have it, he is still around. That's the power that a tall relative bequeaths. As for ladies, it even comes with perks if you cooperate and your pay can be thrice that of seasoned employee who has spent decades hoping things will change.


In the sales industry, if you have insider information about something, say you know a company that has been given the green-light, you can lock it faster and by the time these other buggers get wind of this information, what remains are the remnants because a person can make it tough for you to access another market. That is where our kin help in if they are in higher echelons of clout. And we are still competing because those who are the best have also hacked their way into being so using ways they know best.


Well, in Swahili they say mla nawe hafi nawe ila mzaliwa nawe. This kin and kith business is true. If there are more than ten pairs who are related and you know them in the workplace, don't discriminate them, they are in it because it’s a hustle baby. If I was in the same influential position, I could have probably done the same because I have kith and kin who are in the digs probably wasting away or wishing for a place to be in. But because I am not in the position to aid in swaying outcomes, which I have to admit, I only have to hate the vice because it has made it hard for some who would have benefited genuinely. 


Well, if one day I bump into the lady again, I have already made an impression whether good or bad. The bottom line is that she helped me have a story when I had a dry spell on this blog.


Hasta la vista baby.


[Picture Source: my own]

Share:

RECENT POST

Undressing youself, The echo effect

Once in a while, it's essential to break away, have a debut in the unmined, and see a poignant reflection on the losses brought about by...