Let me keep it simple

Monday 6 February 2017

WHEN WORK GIVES YOU AN E


Well in the workplace, there are no F. There is dismissal from the system instead of being handed that grade. It's either you are good, at the midriff or worse off. There is nothing like seating on the fence. A couple of times I have found myself thinking why am I even sticking to the job like a tick that needs to be removed by an oxpecker. Countless times, I have been trying to look for an exit, but the reality is that I cannot move away. I am the clingy type of employee. The one who cannot afford to make the mistake of leaving lest I go back into dry spell again.


Alright, let me admit the truth. When I was in primary school, I thought that the key to a better life is working hard in school and scoring the best grades that I could in order to join my dream school in high school. That to some extent materialized because I was given a chance in what is now a national school and the chances of getting an even better grade is guaranteed if you are within a certain quartile of achievers. I did maintain the limit and excelled past secondary and was admitted to campus where the fee was something I could manage in the event there was a lowdown from my Oldman. But he paid it all in my first year. Then things happened in campus and I was not at my best because of the campus syndrome.


Now allow me to detour. I read about a certain dude who went to university and did a certain course in humanities and the chap has not been lucky to find a self-sustaining job to keep him going almost a decade after completing campus. I felt for him. In the sense that I am also tied somewhere I wish I could move. The guy had written a letter to an editor who wrote about him. What school never prepares us for is the fact that we need to take anything that comes along the way. The folly of this is that you may never find fulfillment in that which you are doing.


Obviously, there are those who switch careers and adapt faster than they even anticipated. They may either accept the mediocrity of the trade or work towards getting it right so that they are the best in what they do. They become passionate, focussed and make hay while the sun shines.


As for yours truly, I am not sure whether it is a bad decision after another that I am making or it is just what life has bestowed upon me. Several times I have contemplated giving the job an exit by calling it a day. It has resigned me to an E person in the work arena. I don’t want to be an E material. I want to be admired and be seen as a role model by the many people who look up to me in their pursuit of also having a better life.


It's stifling in here. But, it is better than waking up in the morning and you have nothing to do and nowhere to go. Let me say what I love about my job. The first thing I love is that it is one of the most flexible jobs you can ever have. This is because you can create time during the day to do that which you intended to do. Its flexibility is dependent on achieving results, in the event you never, mark you, the flexibility will turn into anxiety and the pressure to perform will be pilling.


Second thing is that when you work for a brand name, even if you are low cadre, the brand keeps you hooked. It’s even better if it is big because you will be given time to make all the mistakes in this world upon which if you cannot bring in results, you can easily be shown the door (sadly, this applies to this bugger called Anan). A good brand name however is good when it also comes with the paycheck. The salesperson that I am is measured by variables that are easy to achieve but can be hard to realize if you become what you are not supposed to be. But the field can be impotent sometimes, much to your chagrin.


I also love the job because of the caring human resource staff who will listen to you in the event you find it hard with the going. I have found it hard in the course of duty and they reassigned me to something that was less frustrating but also not straightforward. Now without any consideration, they took me back to the murky waters, to fend for myself when I wanted some support. This indifference and nobody sees it. I am human per se. I feel like crying when they dribble me around like a ball not knowing that I also have ambitions in life. But given the many people who are jobless, especially in my immediate family, I just have to keep going with a brave face even though it’s tough.


Success is what we all love. I love associating with successful people. I love the success the bank has achieved in terms of leverage. I may not be successful but its success gives me the determination to wake up every morning to go and be counted among the few Kenyans who are genuinely employed (yet when I am not performing I feel unemployed). Well, on the contrary I do not share in the part if I am not able to crack the numbers thing. I want to move to the next level. But it looks blurred.


Am on a mission. Until I achieve it, I will not let the oomph subside.


Hasta la vista baby.


[Picture Source: Google Images]
Share:

RECENT POST

Undressing youself, The echo effect

Once in a while, it's essential to break away, have a debut in the unmined, and see a poignant reflection on the losses brought about by...