Let me keep it simple

Saturday 3 February 2024

Just a little bit of patience

The truth is that Blogger's interaction lags and its promotional tools hinder a wider reach. That said, its user-friendly interface impressed me from the word go. I experimented with the designs and their customizable nature. It was particularly appealing and charming. Nonetheless, it falls short of providing the necessary tools to promote your work and ensure broader exposure.

Initially, I considered ending my use of this platform, but as soon as I observed the increasing numbers, I found a compelling reason to stay on. Surging growth numbers reignited my enthusiasm. Numbers excite me in a way.  Though, I am still sitting on the fence. Should I stay or reconsider its long-term suitability? I am tempted to stay. My initial disillusionment grapples with this growth concern.

Ready to abandon ship, I eyed Medium as my new harbor. However, unexpectedly, a surge of views occurred, making me hesitant to make the switch. Last month, I achieved a record-breaking 1300 views, and I realize now that I should have written this prior. This very post, perfectly primed for that moment, never saw the light of day, a missed chance that still stings.

It would have culminated in 4 posts done in January. I wish I had a virtual assistant to blare the siren and remind me to post.

Normally, my blog chugs along with a modest 100–200 views every month. I could reach a much bigger audience if I got a shout-out from a famous blogger. The views might increase 1000-fold. Certain authors have a Midas touch and the charisma to draw readers globally. They wield a powerful blend of adopter advantage and possess captivating talent. They are always ahead of the curve, and they know how to engage their fans and followers. I would love to learn from them and gain their endorsement. Someday, I could replicate their success.

Feeling discouraged by Blogger's inability to attract even a small, loyal readership, I started to reflect.  I had set a realistic goal of 20 loyal readers, picturing them as a dedicated class I could build upon. Witnessing successful blogs grow organically taught me a valuable lesson: sometimes, the platform isn't the problem, I needed to refine my content and outreach efforts.

I'm acquainted with over 100 individuals who own smartphones; a simple alert, and they're instantly delving into my thoughts. I must admit, I fall into the category of those who feel a bit self-conscious, reserved, and insecure.  Questions that linger in my mind include. What if they don't like what I write? What if they find it lacking in quality or deem it mediocre? That would bruise my ego, and it does affect my spirits to some extent. 

The lack of comments and likes, coupled with anonymous views, makes it difficult to find motivation. A few chaps read my blog. They may be faceless, but they have eyes and ears. They are my audience, and they give me a reason to keep going. Even if it's a single view.

They say charity begins at home. And the best people to cheer you on is your family. They offer kindness and support. They can serve as advocates who not only appreciate your work but also recommend it to others. The potential for exponential growth lies in their recommendations.

I love writing and sharing my thoughts online. It's my passion and my work. All I have to do is write something interesting and post it on my blog. That's it. Simple, right? Then Blogger takes care of the rest. It recognizes my quality content and attracts readers to my blog. But building a readership involves more than just publishing, something I'm still learning as it takes active effort.

Ultimately, my interest lies beyond the monetary aspect. If I find myself deeply engaged, I might consider commercializing my writing and adhering to the constraints, as expected by Blogger. The reason for my initial desire to leave was the notice I received. They gave me a warning I had no idea about.

I'm not like most bloggers or YouTubers, who have thousands of followers and viewers. I align more with someone whose YouTube videos typically garner 10–100 views. You might click away quickly because you think that person is a Moff. But you'd be missing out on something unique and amazing. Don't dismiss me as a small-time creator, instead dive in and discover something special.

As much as I want to switch allegiance, I feel anchored even as I dream of fresh pastures. It's like saying goodbye to a part of myself. I've invested so much time and energy here, the sunk costs, let's say inertia wins this time round. Economists call this switching costs. It means I have to start from scratch if I move somewhere else.

I can acknowledge that change will eventually come. My respectful relationship with Blogger will end someday. I don't know when. And I will sing "Jamaican Farewell" by Harry Belafonte. But I'm not ready to let go. Am still here, clinging on like a skilled worker stuck in a rut. I prefer the familiar over the unknown, even if it means missing out on potential avalanches of opportunity.

Well, I realized that Chatbots can make my work more fun and engaging. I admit that I rely on tools like Bard, Co-Pilot, ChatGPT, and others to improve and enhance my writing style. That might make me less original, but hey, even singers use autotune. And they still have fans who love them.

As a result, I may have lost my casual, conversational style that lends my writing its natural, spoken quality—the subtle nuances of language. 

I'm not sure why Blogger Algorithm doesn't prominently feature my blog. But who cares? It could be due to perceived mediocrity, I copy too much from others, or perhaps I've been cautioned for unknowingly violating platform guidelines. But you know what? I don't care! I love writing and sharing my thoughts with the world. Furthermore, I'm passionate about what I do, and I hope you are too.

Hasta La Vista, Baby.

Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...