Let me keep it simple

Wednesday 21 January 2015

I am building a door: Letter to my potential employer


It's been long since I read the bible. Now it's a source of comfort, a pacifier and a teacher. I usually turn to it for wisdom, when moments are high and low. I am not so much into conformity and as such, I am kind of liberal with my views on matters religion. It makes sense, I can’t force things. I love pragmatism, hypocrisy naught.

Make your money work for, don't work for money. This I read somewhere and hope that I am building a door for the avalanche of success to come knocking on a classic hand crafted mahogany door that lets you in and you automatically feel at home. This door will resist splitting, cracking and rotting. On completion it will have the durability of fibre glass, architecturally correct stiles, riles and panels. Again it will be environmentally friendly, akin to having the look and feel of an auspicious aura full of vitality that countenances.

So I decided to surround myself with those people I think will offer me a leeway and a lease to new gem. Those I gain from, those who lift me high and that is the sole reason I wrote a letter. A dispatch to my potential employer who may never get to read this letter since I am a jobless graduate who hears, talks, sees and knows no evil. One I will never send because it is more than 1000 words. And formality requires that I only pen a letter that is straight to the point and terse. Bulshit, I am creative and a letter and a CV cannot aptly satiate my desire of letting you know about me as they tentatively limit my ingenuity.

I am not afraid to knock doors. However timing is again very important. I just remembered I had to write this because I had it tacked somewhere in the yore files that almost got recycle binned infinitely. Unadulterated but heavily borrowed from some place you need to know or already know.

Here goes the letter.

Dear Madam/ Sir,

This is not the typical letter where I have to be precise and concise for you probably don’t want to read pages and pages of emotional outburst. However I will endeavor to thoroughly showcase my initiative, ambition, creativity, and enthusiasm in this epistle that is not limited to the corporate brevity expected of me. As I pen this dispatch, I am exultant for I know how difficult it is to stand out from the crowd in today’s incredibly competitive job market. 

Allow me to say I will take a detour by not only deviating from the norm but also injecting in some informal thoughts to truly drive the point home. Rules can be bent. Right. But I will try steering clear of flashy gimmicks or stunts. I am infallible that this uniqueness in my approach is atypical of the many cover letters you receive. This letter will not be devoid of emotional exposition of my deeply seated craving to be a part of you even if it oozes egotism in lieu of self-effacement.

I am not only interested in the job, in fact what motivates me more is the fact that my current financial status needs amelioration so that I can transcend to the next stage as soon as possible. That means you have the key to unlock the hidden potential that is famished but zealously waiting for a position of service to positively make the desired impact burning in my instincts. I am an alchemist, whatever I touch turns into gold. Trust you me, I got the Midas touch.

There is a language that everyone understands, the language of enthusiasm, of things accomplished with love and purpose, and as part of a search for something believed in and desired.  My passion for what I do and endear to do is priceless. Actually, I will be highly motivated to not only be associated with the brand you have created but the immense first-class reputation you have conceived as a company to my admiration. I also know that when you really want something, the universe always conspires in your favour to aid you in your yen.

Allow me to narrate a brief story. An Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman all entered a 26 mile long swimming race. After 12 miles the Scottish man gets tired and drops out. Then after 16 miles the English man gets tired and drops out. After 25 miles the Irish man decides he can't finish the race, so he turns around and swims back to the start. Logically, these are the kind of people seeking for posts in your organization. Many are in the category of the Scotsman. I am neither of the trio, reason why I alluded to this anecdote.

I am an accomplished self-taught graphic and web designer and blogger who prides in the fact that I am independent and takes initiative. Experience and enthusiasm are two fine business attributes seldom found in one individual. I am sure these traits are deeply seated and ingrained in me. I am certain these skills will be of great help to your organization. Trust me; look nowhere else in discovering the Soul of the World, the Philosopher's Stone, and the Elixir of Life.

Here are five traits that I consider deeply rooted in my character in order to be instrumental in making a positive contribution to your organization.

a). I am insanely likable and I have a pleasing conduct that enables me to gel and work in a team structure.
b). I am going to perform incredibly well in this job through being decisive using learnt problem solving skills
c). I am really going to fit in around there as fast as possible as I have nurtured my communication skills after undergoing life skills training.
d). I have the ability to take responsibility which means I am able to plan, organize and prioritize work
e). I have good deduction skills that enable me to obtain and process information and analyze the data proficiently to create comprehensive reports thereafter.

Having grown up with the Nairobi city (where the hustle never ceases to bustle), I understand firsthand how you’ve earned your reputation as one of the best employers that all and sundry crave to work for in their lifetime. For many years, I’ve been impressed by how you revere customers and treat them like kings; now I want to impress visitors in the same way your team has so graciously done for me and those whom have been loyal to the brand you created.

This is a story, because at this point, it ceases to be a letter. Hope it has seamless segue. Already I have briskly elaborated my unique traits and my zeal to work for you. I am an avid consumer of your products (read services and goods). They have made an incredible difference in my life. Sometimes, I go to cozy restaurants, mull and daydream about what it would feel like to work with some of the brilliant minds that you have as a company.

I hate mediocrity and I also know that random trivia can come across as weird, currently I possess 25 years of inexperience. I may be inexperienced but what I do with what I know will greatly incite the urge in you to hunt for me to bring you the unexpected.  All this time has been spent shaping up my perspective of what I want and where I want to be. I only tolerate positives. The obverse was deleted from my diction as it did not build my drive towards personal fulfillment.

Life's greatest tragedy consists of men and women who earnestly try, and fail! The tragedy lies in the overwhelmingly large majority of people who fail, as compared to the few who succeed. I have tasted failure, now it’s my time to succeed. I know life is bittersweet and they said the roots of education are bitter but the fruits are sweet. I want to witness this phrase for all along, I have been committed to the former.


I believe I can be a valuable addition to your company, and I look forward to hearing from you. Genuinely, I’m excited about opportunities within your company and hope to explore contributions I can make. I’ll call you next week to, hopefully, talk further or set up a time to meet with you personally.

Yours sincerely,
Signed A.O
Anan Ocampo

Ideally, this letter is a follow up to a piece I had written about the hustles of being an unemployed graduate. Blue collar jobs are sometimes a no, no (according to friends and family) and white collar jobs highly regarded as I travail through this life full of twists and turns. My only sticking point is being offered a chance. That of a start off and I will be good to go.

Many a time, I have said I will write to you, walk to you office with my resume and cover letter in arms, however, I can’t. I usually use the net as a way towards reaching you. You never have replied my letters. I still am upbeat and hold onto a positive attitude that when time is nigh, things will work out.

But I have to rant and say the truth so as to set myself free, free from the bondage of the knowledge that I have to continuously be a leech. I want to be an ant. Be like a bee to search for nectar flowers to go use produce honey. This is nonsensical gibbery though. I am sure you get my drive. I hope to one day be an employer like you. But first you need to teach me the rues and ethics so that I will use them in future.

I am never going to give up, I will follow my dreams. I am careful of what I am wishing for.

SITUONANE.
Share:

RECENT POST

Undressing youself, The echo effect

Once in a while, it's essential to break away, have a debut in the unmined, and see a poignant reflection on the losses brought about by...