Let me keep it simple

Thursday 22 February 2024

Ready, Set, Checkbox! Do you have a Hack?

Is it true that music is what mathematics dreams of being? Surely, that is sweet melody for the cochlea. Otherwise, it would have been a calculation.

Where should I start? That's the lingering question at the back of my mind. The proverbial saying about curiosity and what led the feline astray comes to mind, but let's set that aside for now. A song can be fleeting or echo through generations. There are those tunes that hit you once, dazzle for a season, and then fade away like summer's fireflies. Their message became a fad, leaving you tapping your feet and nodding your head for a brief moment before moving on to other melodies. 

But there's another kind of song—the ageless kind. These melodies resonate across time, they defy trends and capture your heart with their timeless echo. They have become part of our collective memory, our playlist, woven into the fabric of our lives. Perhaps it's the lyrics, the tune, or the emotions they evoke—the reasons vary. Regardless, these songs remain etched in our souls long after other tunes have faded away.

Each of us is granted the same 24 hours in a day, and how we choose to spend that time defines our journey. Each sunrise ushers in the potential for new epiphanies, waiting to be unearthed through our active engagement with the world. Nature nurtures, and there's a distinct beauty in subtly achieving a goal without overt effort, as well as in allowing nature to take its course while you pursue your objectives. 

In recent weeks, I've been exploring the factors that distinguish consistently successful individuals from those in pursuit of excellence. It's not a matter of time, luck, or education; rather, it's the sheer determination to succeed that sculpts one's perspective on the world. Some achieve effortlessly, propelled by passion. Others face hurdles and have to "push through the wall," fueled by a calculated drive to overcome them. However, the fervor and fire in our hearts to overcome obstacles propels us to persistently push forward.

I'm the kind of person who revels in the spontaneity of my decisions. As much as I plan, it doesn't fit neatly into my schedule. It's the unexpected phone call to a friend, the impromptu detour through the park on a sunny afternoon while on a random walk, or the surprise visit to a relative. It's the little things that count.

Life, with its inherent unpredictability, offers an adventure in the unexpected outcomes of our actions. There's a natural inclination to be carefree. We are naturally wired to abhor obligation. More so, that which tends to be pushy. It's the reason we dislike bosses, who impose rules and regulations that seem to force us into a robotic mindset, even though, at times, such structure is necessary for progress. Many of us resist accountability, particularly when it is self-imposed. Our lives lack a clearly defined destination, and we don't meticulously plan every step of the way.

Listening to people's stories, it has become evident that incorporating "checkboxes" can serve as a valuable tool for assessing your progress. While I won't cite specific examples, it's clear that if you aspire to succeed, daily reminders about what you should do in your life are essential.

It's equally crucial to establish a foundation when starting from scratch, rather than simply picking up without a robust base to shield you from life's uncertainties. You can't afford to be rigid.

Some daily tasks may seem insignificant but contribute to the overall overarching objective. Additionally, there are short-term goals that need to be met. For instance, my weekly goal is to write a blog. However, I have not laid out a plan for the next 3 to 6 months about what to write since it would stifle my creative juices. On an annual scale, my goal is to have at least 50 posts, even if I take leave at the end of the year. I would have asked about yours if I were writing a motivational book. Am not!  

A couple of factors contribute to our success. Key among them is the ability to visualize if you are making any inroads or not. If you know you quit easily, then you need to work on your patience. Once you achieve a milestone, just tick that checkbox! 

I don't have a checklist, and I didn't plan to have one. This blog post has been a revelation. I need to have one.

I am the wishy-washy type! I thought I could write on weekends and have my article ready to post by Tuesday or Wednesday. But guess what? All I have now are vibes and "inshallah!"  I not only disregard routine; instead, I haphazardly follow my indecisively self-set preferences.

Most people don't like to be confronted by direct questions, especially from strangers. Yet if you ask, you gain insight into the lens through which they view the world and can empathize with their experiences. Sometimes, I yearn to be a curious questioner, engaging others in conversation and actively listening to their stories. People crave the opportunity to share their narratives rather than merely hearing someone else's opinion. After all, life without stories would be utterly devoid of meaning! 

Hasta La Vista, Baby.

Share:

RECENT POST

Undressing youself, The echo effect

Once in a while, it's essential to break away, have a debut in the unmined, and see a poignant reflection on the losses brought about by...