Let me keep it simple

Friday 25 August 2017

A RANDOM WALK

Walking

Pounding pavements in a bid to be an avid exerciser, I have decided to sometimes work my feet to walk lonely paths where I only encounter vehicular motion. I am a rapid rambler with short majestic steps. My brisk pace makes me look like a speed walker who appears to be floating while pacing. I wish I would have a way of making my walking genes addictive as opposed to getting psyched at the spur of the moment. Well, I am a feckless walker, born without a sense of direction. I hate it though, but at the end of the day not all who wander are lost.


Sometimes I spell my coordinates, but most times, I let my mind piece up the whole jigsaw that is the map of where I want to end up. The best part is that my sense of direction is intact. What I know is that I have a goal; to sweat out the lethargy that characterizes my sedentary lifestyle as a worker who rarely has time for socializing. Walking hence is a respite, a chance to process the problems and struggles I go through in sometimes gloomy days that I hide in my introverted life. The out life has a sanguine feel, I am melancholic.


Truth be told, I am in this carefree time of my life where things have reached a stalemate. I am not pushing harder like I should. There should obviously be things that I should have sealed tight like a can but I have not, ‘yaani, nilikuwa nimekafunga tene’. Who cares, it’s a feeling I have learnt to grow comfortable with. Which should not be the case. To kill these mediocrity thoughts, I meander from the slums to the leafy suburbs like a river winding its way across grassy plains, down rocky waterfalls and occasionally collecting debris that line the watercourse. I love this crisp wintry weather with its sedating air, you can walk as far as your legs can carry you given that you rarely feel drained and parched. The fluffy cumulus clouds shield you from the devastating heat of the menacing sun which hides in its private room.


I started walking way back in campus, at night, to burn off the heavy meal that I rarely took for supper. I just wanted to go off and explore the bowels of our raucous Nairobi City. At such a time, I would not be harassed by hundreds of people who dot the busy streets during the day with nothing particular in their minds. Walking at night when peddlers had spread their wares with generic and cut-rate products probably from China was by and large imbuing. I loved the eeriness of the night as I passed lonely streets, some darkened while others glowing you feel like you are walking in broad daylight. Obviously, dark spots did send a chill down my spine and I felt my typical bravery being pricked. To date nighttime roving remains a facet that springs up occasionally when I go out to sip ale as a mechanism to remain sober.


These days, I walk during the day, I reserve the night for work and sleep. As I did trek on my way to the city’s exurb, I saw this lady who trudged along the pavements in a sedate pace. My mind focused on the gentle footsteps that seemed to echo throughout the desolate street. She had a random gait, and she was in walking gear pounding her feet with experience. Her steps revealed her feet was used to the shoes she was wearing which were gel cushioned to absorb shocks and the reflexive details of the rising terrain. She was probably the kind who does not want to crank her muscles through a rigorous exercise like running. She walked in front of me for a while before I overtook her leaving her dawdling not to be seen again from her sight.


I love the surge of endorphins that feels my body with a feel-good rush each time I walk where I presume I cannot meet someone twice. I have a sharp memory and there are instances where I have noticed individuals especially those with distinct features or clothing in different stretches of where I have been to. Not that meeting a stranger a second time is perilous, but it’s odd and tells a lot about you when you are wandering on the streets looking for something spectacular to write home about. The question that I ask is whether those guys I met also recognize that they saw me roaming the streets. Is it a coincidence that we met twice? This normally prompts me to take the next available action that comes into mind, take the next matatu back to the digs and think about nothing and to format delete the trails of the day and the individuals I met.


While walking, there was this time I was pacing on a grassy side path that was also characterized by intermittent mud after a heavy downpour. I never realized that the treads of my shoes had worn out while feeling like a real nigga walking on the lonely path. While jumping over an insignificant stream that had been eroded at the banks by water, I almost slipped but the impact of the slide fell on my shoes that escaped with mud all over after slightly sinking on the wet banks. I started feeling panicky because crossing to the hilly side almost made me feel like a drowning man clutching on a straw. After the near scary and embarrassing experience, my step picked up speed as did my pounding heart. But that incident had clearly sabotaged my confident gait. If I had fallen how could I explain the soiled clothes in an already dry environment? Luckily, nothing ruined an already good day.


PS: There are free apps online to monitor the amount of brisk walking an individual does and provide tips on how to incorporate more into the daily routine.


Hasta La Vista Baby.


[Picture Source: Google Images]
Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...