Let me keep it simple

Sunday 29 January 2017

GREENER PASTURES


There is nothing as good as doing something that you love. Sometimes money can drive you nuts but when you find true autonomy in a venture, you get excited and happy even when you know there is nothing to smile about in terms of leveraging on what you take home.


I realized that I love a sedentary lifestyle. The kind of life where I am not supposed to be in motion if it involves a job that I am required to do. However, I love travelling. It’s fun travelling, but when it is work related and it determines your stay in the workplace in terms of contributing towards pay, then am not in for it. Truth be told, I love being in a comfort zone. Where you are not pressurized to meet people or such like stuff.


Ideally, I work with some of the best people who have received awards for having been the best in what they do. They are the kind of people who give me hope. However, the immediate person I work with as my boss does not seem so even though I find him quite affable when it comes to his former clients when he was still a teller in the bank. Like me, he is clueless on what I am supposed to do. However, he tries his best whenever possible. The job though, quite lousy. Sometimes I usually ask what I am doing but what keeps me going is the hatred for idleness.


Yet, there are times I find myself idle I normally feel like I am taking the bank for a ride. What then can I do? When you know your character quite well, you will not let things that are not working out be part of you. For a fact, I know that I am not as able to chase after people. That is why I love the sanctuary that is the office. It’s not that there is much you earn, but the fact that you are in the office gives some form of legitimacy.


Clients love it when they come and find you seated somewhere waiting to serve them (some). Then there are those who want to be served at the comfort of their workplaces which is also alright. I have experiences both and I think that what works for one does not work for another. What I know is that in the event I am forced to depart from this comfort to be a field salesperson, I don’t know whether I will last long.


The truth is that we are rarely satisfied with where we are. We want something better while others envy where we are. There is no place that is better. The best place ideally is in utopia. Methinks even Bill Gates is still searching for that place. Reason why he is also serving humanity in various facets through his foundation. While he is not after financial autonomy like yours truly that has been quite farfetched, there is something that keeps him going- hope.


Even the guy I work with is hopeful that one day he will find a good job. I thought I would have looked up to him but he only inspires me with his people skills. They are top notch. While I am appalled by his ease of doing it, I sometimes find myself in mental delusions or let me all them fantasies. I think deeply in retrospect and what I end with is nothing that I have ever wanted. School looks like failed me. I have lost the little verve that I had.


So last year, while waiting for the bank to be opened, I watched as Mucheru the CS in charge of information and communication talk about ajira digital. Well it is an online platform where Kenyans can find jobs to engage in given that this online jobs have been on an upward trajectory in the country. I never finished watching it but I got the rationale of why it was started. Well, the site is quite shady and reeks of ineptitude in helping the average Kenyan find a job.

Ideally, this was a website hurriedly patched up so as to appear like the CS was working. On the contrary, it worked for me to some extent because I got an invitation to attend an interview which would lead to work in a certain online platform called cloudfactory. Ajira digital is not for the average folk, for one, I am a graduate but I feel like it does not serve me. What with the fact that there are so many Kenyans out there who are in need of jobs but find it cumbersome to navigate the site to look for work? 


Well, the CS needs to realize that it for the platform to work, a feasibility study needs to be done in order to model it in the Kenyan context. I tried to refer someone else to the site to go look for a job but it did not work. That is how impotent the site is. What irked me was the idea of MPOST, a modern platform for receiving snail mail. I will not comment on that because it is a sales job which involves recruiting people. As for yours truly, I would not like to comment on it.


Ajira digital is lame. It is a link to other sites. It does not offer someone a chance to equip himself with skills to be able to bid for work. In a nutshell, it’s an idea that was hurriedly executed.


Like I intimated, I got a job offer from cloudfactory after taking part in online interviews where there was one I did not meet the minimum score but was still invited for a face to face interview. I declined the offer which I am not regretting even though there are signs that I might one day call those guys to request for work if things go haywire where I currently am.


Green pastures should come with an enticing offer. There is need for the package to be better than what you currently have. I did my cost benefit analysis and concluded that it was better I struggle where I currently am. Not that the offer was bad, but I remember the hustle that I was going to put myself in and rescinded going for the interview.


As for Mucheru, I must comment him because I thought he was the genius that I think people at Google normally are. As it turns out, he has been a lackluster performer who nothing can be written about. Where did the success at Google go to. Does it mean that he was riding on the effort of others in propagating flourishing ideas. This ajira thing is a still born. Even thiugh I am not sure of the statistics, what I am sure about is that it does not work for me. Hitherto


Hasta La Vista Baby.



[Picture source : ] 
Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...