Let me keep it simple

Thursday 25 September 2014

Life: A Paradox So Real


Writing with no pay is one of the trickiest hobbies in life. You may opt to write a very fascinating story only to end up writing non sense. You may churn a good idea only to forget about it when time is nigh to put it in black and white. I have severally gone through occasions where I come up with a great idea while making castles in the air. At such times, I usually have diction. But when it comes to the real act of making sense out of the thoughts, my brain becomes numb and the fathomed ideas become irrelevant.

That is what life is. I bet life is a very tricky affair. Many people usually have great hopes and ideas as to what they aspire to do or be. When it comes to the action of now putting the notions into practice, you realize that it is not that easy. The same case applies to me. I have sometimes written the best articles in my mind while thinking of the next big thing that has never been penned down only to realize they were just that, dreams.

I like stories. I also know many people like stories. A good story if well narrated will ideally have an impact on the target audience. A story with relevance to society will withstand the test of time and not even modernity will dilute the meaning it was intended to portray.

The Bible is thousands of years old. The same applies to the Quran and other religious books that have been relevant all along. I guess the authors were not just witty but were motivated by humanity and income was not a major driver. Their main drive was to show society that as things change the more they remain the same. I don’t know about Quran but I guess what it contains is as true as it was written then as it is now.

While vanity may make some to cherish what they do, it is not worth it to be remembered for nothing. Being famous for vanity may be very enticing especially to those seeking the public limelight. This also applies to many who say life is all vanity. They have nothing to die for, they are just there. To them, as another day passes they view it as an obvious fixation with no endeavor to achieve.

Good stories should have meaning, relevance and create the unrivalled suspense of making readers or listeners glued or accustomed to what they are reading or listening. Suspense is an art and very few have mastered that art. It requires more than just reading or listening. Building on this art should start from the beginning to the end. The story should be brazen and create worry; failure of which it will be bland and have a nondescript build-up.

This reminds me of James Blunt. He was once one of the most hated musicians in UK. He sung lousy songs according to those who hated him. While his song ‘You’re beautiful’ was an international big hit, it attracted revulsion among some quarters. I guess the video was just lethargic, it was also not well thought and it could be one of the reasons why most people could have possibly hated him.

I wish to be a force to reckon with. That does not mean I want to transcend to that level without any effort. Like victors and those who have had an impact in this world, I know that making a statement is not that easy. Those who rise to the occasion early find out that it is not usually that rosy. If they can’t keep pace, they soon go into oblivion. This reminds me of the child actor who featured in ‘different strokes.’ Ideally Gary Coleman could have kicked the bucket a millionaire. But apparently, he died a pauper having helped mint millions as a toddler.

I am hence tempted to say that today’s failure may be tomorrow’s success. Again the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. Thus, it is prudent to know where you want to be. That applies to my writing. It is at present devoid of lustre, but as they say experience is the best teacher. After a while it will gain sheen and maybe go to the next level.

It is a challenging satisfying the unpredictability that is associated with human nature. When you think you have made nailed it, the response may be insipid. When you try out subtle things, a bubbly outcome may be witnessed. Life is full of contradictions.

When I started this article, I thought of writing about the technicality of writing. I have slowly realized that making amends with the self when things are not working does not break a bone. When it comes to loss of ideas and banal creativity, there is what I usually call brevity. Telling a long story in few words in a sense that is evokes emotions and captures the requisite imagery to the recipient is a very good thing.

P/S: I have never understood the ideology of one saying 'I have a very long story'. Please, long stories are only found in novels. Furthermore, those who say they have a long story end up having short stories.

When you have something to say, say it. This spite of long stories does not augur well with me though. 
Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...