Let me keep it simple

Monday 29 September 2014

Digitally Incorrect

Sometimes we usually end up sitting together as a family though it’s usually rare. But on the few incidents that we get together, I have noticed one thing, most of my siblings and my peeps are usually on the phone. My dad is either calling some dude in the rural areas, my mum- apparently she is on whatsapp –  either chatting, my sisters are also either chatting or taking selfies and my younger brother hooked up on the computer playing games or he is on Facebook doing his thing.

Our family meetings are rarely about bonding. Though we live worlds apart, we are able to meet once a month. Those are the times when we should share stories, reminisce the good old days, remind our mum how she used to flog the hell out of us and equally surprise us by buying us new clothes each Christmas. But since times have flown away fast, I can’t believe that my mum has become the best of friends with one of my sister. Someone they never saw eye to eye. Times do change and the unbelievable does metamorphose into what would never be thought would exist.

I remember watching a reality show in which a family was forced to do without all the gadgets in their house. The family lived in America and there was a price of some few thousand dollars for staying without the technology gadgets which included; mobile phones, iPods, television, computers and any electronic device. The first day was tough for the family, the daughter cried all night and the son locked himself in his room as the mum and dad looked at each other as if they were strangers. The second day the escalating tension in the family reduced. On the third day they were able to do something together as a family. They realized that there was much they could learn about each other. That continued till the time they got their gadgets back. Upon receipt of the gadgets, life went back to normal; they all reverted back to their earlier ways.


I am also a slave. I can’t do without my phone. Like everyone I can’t leave my phone unattended. Sometimes back I became addicted to twitter. It was so addictive to a point I found myself tweeting even when meals were served and hence someone had to remind me that I needed to eat. One of my siblings was also a slave of chatting. She used to chart extensively to a point where she became a nuisance. She became a recluse and a snob. You couldn’t tell her anything. The digital world was however making her happy.


In as much as mobile phones have been of great help, they have also been a big setback. Sometime you hear a person blatantly lying without regard of the fact that it is a communicable disease. I became used to that trend of lying on the phone till one of my aunts caught me red handed. I vowed never to lie. It was embarrassing and belittling.

The notion that phones only corrupt family members is also manifested among friends. I had a friend who was virtually hooked to his phone that whenever he was using it, he forgot that there was also a real world. You could only see him giggling and laughing uncontrollably when something did fascinate. It was frustrating especially when you were conversing and the chap with no due regard would be busy chatting.

Phones and computers betray and destroy the tenets of socializing. That could be the reason why most indoor house parties have adopted the no phone policy. The host takes the prerogative of safe keeping the phones and upon exit; one receives his/her phone back. At least those who are alien to each other can easily mingle freely after partaking some few shots of ale. Hitherto parties were a show of might, those with the latest high end gizmos would be using them to take videos, chat or just floss that they had something one would envy. Those with humble gadgets would conceal their devices in order not to appear out of touch or inferior.

But we have to learn in order to move ahead. I bet most family reunions should adopt a no phone, iPad or tab policy when they meet. This would aid the members in discussing not only pertinent issues but also open up about the projects that one may aim in undertaking or in progress. That said there is no denial that communication has changed. You may be seated in a meeting but others are busy chatting. These instances are not limited to informal settings, they are sometimes witnessed in the formal settings but on rare cases. So next time you find yourself in such a circumstance, worry not, it’s a global affair.
Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...