Let me keep it simple

Friday 19 June 2015

FUKES, EWER ROUT JIVE



On average, it should take one fifteen to twenty minutes to read a post in a blog with twenty five hundred words. Is that not the same number of minutes a viewer takes to watch an American comedy, say, there are no those airtime thieves in form of advertisers who sponsor programs as a way of marketing, advertising and engaging in public relations at the same time. Those who bore the hell out of you because they want a wider market share of the products they sell and hence sponsor programs by ensuring they have their ad just when you cannot unseat yourself from the couch or settee or change the channel because the remote is far away and you are eagerly awaiting for the next part of the episode.

Let me not beat about the bush any further, it takes an average of twenty minutes to watch a comedy series like Big Bang, Modern Family, Exes, and you name them if a fan of comedies like me. Damn, am a silent pitcher, never afraid to falter till I get it right. It's life. The Hell. You need to be swayed and rocked like a ship in the ocean by the tidal waves that lam without warning you feel the ship will keel before you find the right bearing you really wanted. And when you do, you say alas!

Have you ever worn a chintzy pair of pants, those that make you look like an Abunuwasi? That which is just slightly below the ankle when standing and exposes your socks when you sit, the knee raises it so that its length is just something below the calf. Bad, I had to pull that because my wardrobe is becoming too disdainful because I have been kind of allergic to go to G-mall and do some exquisite shopping. Then there is this kitsch t-shirt that leaves me irritated wanting to scratch my belly, shoulders, chest and armpits because it reacts with the body when you sweat (it’s normal to sweat). I will check the material used to tailor the cloth because it also smells funny when you have removed it from the body and has those electric shocks as a result of the static energy it harbours. Pardon me, only designer clothes are tailored (achana na nguo za kushowa juu mafundi huwa zi designers) while the kind I wear are you know this things.

'So jive, rout and ewer are words found in the scrabble dictionary.' a scrabble challenger asked was shocked to find out. Fukes. Imagine I had been given a range of over 80 marks or points, whatever. I had underestimated my rival and he had pulled a 'triple word' using a Q and my goose was almost cooked. Luckily, a man never says die. I love playing scrabble because it lets me showcase my lingo and lets me ruminate using the seven words I have. I am not that smart though? In fact, there was a lady who told me that I should play scrabble with her continuously to enable her improve on her lingo. Bingo! Hats off even though I have to do it for myself.

You see, I gave her the kind of thrashing which caused all the male colleagues to look at us in suspense (we were playing scrabble during a break). She had taken over from the guy colleague whom I was trailing because the guy had gone to attend to pressing or urgent matters. She screamed like a rabbit being slaughtered much to the chagrin of many, especially those who have a thing for her when I reduced the gap like Kibaki did and Raila's sychophants started crying foul. I had pulled the stunt. Trust me to gamble with words when playing even if I know they only exist in my head.

I had to blow my own horn. It's practical. I was trailing her but at the end, Even though she and other colleague used combined power in bringing their folly to a guru like me, I was able to outmaneuver them in diction and voila, I emerged the winner. Lest I find a pro who will show me how it is done.

Like a story I read of a certain old man from the countryside who went to a city where they were not allowed to be riding on draught animals while going for business. As a sagacious fellow, he went to the home of a young man who deemed himself as the self-confessed ‘World’s greatest Chess player’ and had engraved the sign on his gate. 

Since the old man was intending on having a place where he could have his donkey given residence while he was doing his business, he decided to challenge the world’s greatest chess player to a game. The chess player berated him and only agreed to the challenge after being persuaded that there was a wager of 15 gold coins. 

They played the game and the old man was checkmated in less than five minutes. As a bargain because he did not have the 15 gold coins, he left his donkey with the chess player as substitute for the coins since it was worth 50 gold coins and went about his business in the town for a week. 

The young man changed the saddle and purchased new reigns for the donkey and also cleaned the ass.
When the old man finished in his dealings after about a week, he returned to the young man’s house to play for another game (return leg but still on the young man’s court) and this time, he had the 15 coins.

However, his wager was different. That in the event he won, he would get back his donkey but if he lost, he would surrender the 15 coins.
The two of them began the chess match. However, this old man who was once terrible showed completely different skills in just one week. The young man did breakdown in sweat and started squirming on his chair and in no time he heard the old man say, “Young owner, checkmate.”

Since he was anxious to know why the old man wanted his donkey back, he asked him why he had lost and won. So he asked, “One week ago, sir, you were really bad at chess. But in such a short period of time, how did you increase your skills? I’m very curious.”
The old man explained that when he reached the city, he found a sign reading, ‘Donkeys or horses are not allowed.’

Since he needed a place he could house the donkey, he purposely played with the young man and lost to be able to run his errands in the city. When he was through, he went for his donkey which was happy to see him after he had won. Clean and with new reigns and saddle he took his beast of burden and headed to back to the countryside.


When he finished his business, he went back and won after losing.


Dejected and embarrassed, the young man removed the sign from his home and did muse the reason as to why the old man had deliberately lost and won yet he had all along considered himself the legend of chess. 

Reminds me of the African proverb, 'An old man sitting on a stool can see farther than a young man who has climbed a tree'. 

I might one day be forced to humble myself in scrabble but not any soon. Until I find someone who can give me a range of 100 marks, I am Hercules of the game in the staffroom. Or which superstar is a Dexter in playing mind games because if you cannot play that you cannot win. I don’t know the superstar figure but when I do, I will be good to go.

Ideally, scrabble is a time-waster, Aa aa (shaking my head sideways), no it helps reduce boredom and improves on your IQ, though Qi and not IQ is in the scrabble dictionary and other words like OE, OI, OO, XU, XI, JO, KO, KA, WOX, KO, KY, ZA, ZO which I have never had of are also there. 


I am a tad bit too weary thinking of how those words became part of the English dictionary. They sound Chinese or Asian. But English is also a remnant of another language. It heavily borrows words to this age from other languages au fait and turns them into its own words. But as at now, it lends more than it borrows.
(to be continued)


That day I will be able to use the word quinzhee on a double letter and triple word on scrabble, with either z or q on a double word, I will have killed scrabble. No lies. That will instinctively be more than 100 marks at once.

And now to the main issue, my brother took me to an upper middle class coffee eatery and guess whom I met? Our director and his son. Bet they were on there way out since they never had anything on their tables.

Where we sat, there was also a lady with her daughter discussing business. I don't know what happens to my ears but I just found myself intermittently listening to the sagacious banter the mom and daughter were engaged in. The daughter had this dude who she was saying she had and had a predilection for because she was looking at the future with him.  They also talked about how she could be able to secure government tenders now that she was a woman and a youth. 

I remember he mom advising her to take her professional papers seriously also because they would really matter in the near future.

Which brings me to one of my colleagues called Bonjour, when Bonjour confessed that sometimes he really strains to make ends meet in Nairobi, I could feel his struggle. Especially  when he was narrating the story with Oty our sentry. Both from the house of Mulembe. They did remind me of those two luhyas who act on 'Hapa Kule' who have this ideophone, 'hulangauri' said as if someone has a lump of ugali on his throat preventing some vocal codes from clearly producing sounds.

Bonjour has this cousin who once took him to Safari Club and he wax with the Taxman. Damn, working with the office affords one a certain flair because it is a cash-cow for getting for getting free cash. Especially those that want to fault on payment of taxes or those who want to evade payment of tax.

In Safari Club, Bonjour's cousin was meeting his associates and he was introduced as working in the tourism sector. In fact, bonjour could not believe that he had been ordered to take a taxi to go meet his cousin who was still tipsy and needed someone to help him while checking on a firm in Industrial area. Bonjour was then tasked with driving the cousin-brother to Safari Club where things were beyond his reach.

He could not understand how they were able to consume what is his gross pay in a single meal. He tried to mull over it but could not come to terms with that fact. Upon finishing, his cousin gave him 3 K and told him to occassionally visit him in his office. Oh! And since the cousin could be able to swim in money, he even had a mpango who he had rented a hose in Kile while he lived in Runda which Bonjour thought was next to Karen.

Oty also told us of the story of his uncle who even though his pay was more than 300 K, he was still not satisfied because the uncles friend was a member of the golf club. Muthaiga golf club where you pay sh.20 million to be a registered member and play with the former president. Oty's cousin was also wanted to join the big boys and that was the reason he was finding his 300 K salary so little.

And that brought us to discussing about ladies, we can only be able to buy a lady a decent meal on the lower sides of Tom Mboya Street because as you know, if you pay rent, think about food and fare, you can only have nothing left because by the middle of the month, you are broke and need to take goods from mama mboga on credit.

I am still pondering on the next move to take if I will continue being a teacher because I never liked the way a colleague was almost having his eye gored out fail for the fact that robbers only dealt with his face. They escaped with a laptop and man, its sometimes demoralizing seeing this. It broke my heart as much as I pitied him. The sympathy was not enough. 

Later on we concluded that the assailants were not Sap because Saps know that they need to let their victims safe to be able to rob them again. Luhyas and Luos are the more crude muggers because they want their victim never to repeat the mistake again and can sometimes go the extra mile to kill. But saps, am told kill only when they have instructions to silence their victims. 

This is a hypothesis we came up with that am not sure can hold water and be theorized especially regarding crime in the sprawling slums. 

Even if I am complaining about being a teacher, I could never have come into contact with this intelligent men and women who are building Kenya into a better place. I can only wait till that time when I will be able to transition fully into writer so that I can be balancing it by part-time being a teacher.

HASTA LA VISTA BABY

[Photo Source: Pixabay]

Share:

RECENT POST

Undressing youself, The echo effect

Once in a while, it's essential to break away, have a debut in the unmined, and see a poignant reflection on the losses brought about by...