Let me keep it simple

Saturday 1 October 2016

IF YOU WANT TO GATHER HONEY


Each single individual wants to feel important and appreciated. It's actually innate and right to have those feelings. Take my mum for instance, she like bestowing herself the title Mama G, which she first heard about a decade ago while watching a certain Nigerian film where the main star or could it be the villain was named so. As for my mum, she prides in being the mother of university graduates, which is not a mean feat given that all her children post-secondary have graduated (none with the coveted First class though) and that is enough to make her feel like the woman she should be. The jobs her progeny have are still entry level though, so she does not receive so much from them at the end of the month.


Sometimes back, I usually wondered why she loved such designation which vary depending on the occasion. I would occasionally get embarrassed on her behalf when she would blubber such entitlements when we held ceremonies but not anymore. She was lethal in her hey days, yet still many found it easy to live with her because of her motherly nature. Albeit she was austere, there are certain elements of leniency when you did well in something and she would be very proud. Like she knew it was not easy passing exams, so if you did well, she first hugged you, ensured a fowl was prepared and you got new Garissa Lodge attires. Bingo!


Everyone wants to feel appreciated and important. We admire those who are doing well and wish we would be given a chance to be in those shoes. What we sometimes forget is that bit where the struggle was such a pain in the neck but they still developed thick skin amid frustrations and failure. Everyone goes through periods of torments. It is what you learn from the lesson that is important. You either have to change or if you fluff in conforming, then there is that regret bit.


There is a book I decided to read on how to influence people because success can only come through people. School knowledge and all else is not as important as having the interest of people at heart. This does not mean that the skill is innate. To some it is, to others it is like the proverbial quote which goes ‘Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.’


It’s high time I started gathering honey. There was an online psychometric test I did and realized that I am mindful so much about other people. To be precise, my main superpower was being an advocate; simply put, I am selfless, giving and professional which I can use to delight my clients and customers consistently. All I therefore need to do is to balance my own needs as well as meeting those the people around me.


There is also this networking aspect in my traits according to the test. That I know how to call and stay meaningfully connected to with everyone. All I need to do is to add three influential people in my connection and plan how to build a meaningful relationship with them.


I am feeling like a victor already. I never knew am this charming a persona. I wanted to eschew penning about my pitfalls because they constitute what is negativity. The results relayed that I need to develop more drive, determination and ambition to achieve by being resilient, persistence and having strength of the mind (Jeez, kwani I am this week in spirit).


I need to continue digging it (This phrase got me excited after watching Angry Birds the movie) to find my true grounding when it comes to character. That’s because there are things only others know about you that you never know. I never made past the psychometric test but it has reawakened my determination in that which I do. While they may have wanted other traits of independence and resilience, one thing is for sure, I have a charming persona which I will not kill any time soon.


Hasta La Vista Baby.



[Picture Source: Pixabay]
Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...