Let me keep it simple

Wednesday 2 March 2016

EMPLOYABILITY.


I am currently pursuing an online course on employability. There is a big difference between employability and employment. The former encompasses the latter. To paraphrase what employability entails, this has to do with gaining knowledge, skills: technical and soft skills, achievements, and personal attributes that makes one an effective employee to make successful transitory contribution to the employer, colleagues, the public, clients: both prospective and current and the society in general.


Employment on the other hand deals with having the job and being able to make a difference in the workplace. The difference is subject to interpretation depending on which field one is in. As a blogger, I am at making a difference through writing. What about you?


So far, I have been applying to mainstream angel entry jobs, low cadre jobs an middle-level positions. The response from employers has been quite skeptical. Am even planning to call a truce with one of the employers. I don’t believe in employment bureaus. I have not signed on any up until now. Yes they might help me find a job, or the very minimum secure me an interview. But I am still reluctant. One of the reasons I have not used fee-based bureaus is because I hate to think of a person ‘eating my money’ just to find me a job. Secondly, I believe that I should fight for the chance like everybody else. Those favoured and those who are not. Thirdly getting a job is not currently my raison maître. I want to test the system. Which I am having a futile debut at ever since I quit to concentrate on studies.


One thing I learnt about studies while being employed is that they greatly improve on one’s employability. They make you be regarded as able to take up more responsibilities and be seen as an effective time manager. There are also intrinsic gains to a part-time student that he or she knows while going through the process. The challenges are pecuniary and both peculiar. Pecuniary because you have to forego some luxuries an pecuniary because of the opportunity cost of the time one spends in ensuring they never fail.


Allow me to surmise on some aspects that I have learnt over the years as I prepare myself for employment. Last year, I prepared only for an interview (Read it here). Then, I thought that what mattered was how to impress a panel or an interviewer while undergoing a scrutiny. Now, I have a broader perspective. The key lies in preparing the self continuously. If you have limited entrepreneurship ambitions in the meantime like yours truly. You may impress today, but that does not mean you will still have your verve in the near future when contemplating to switch careers if that happens. Anyway, if you have a pusher, why should you mind? But even pushers have to shove that which they are sure about. Competency is such a required tenet that if you fail in meeting the minimum standards, then you are as good as obsolete unless the pusher will shoulder the baggage.


I have learnt that everything boils down to communication.  If you can accurately convince the other party into buying your argument, then you are good to go. Watching the movie ‘Moonwalkers’, probably one of the reasons why Johnny Thorpe was able to convince Kidman into bringing him film director Stanley Kubrick was because he did not falter in his communication skills. Even his body language never betrayed him. He took a phoney to Kidman, received the pay and scripts and went to offset his other debts.


Communication is paramount. Whether you want to get employed, strike a deal, present a proposal or be in business which has a perpetuity. If you can tacitly express yourself through other leveraged ways, well and good. You have communicated.


Being able to express yourself in a comprehensible way, concisely and driving the point home counts for 80% of striking a deal. Knowledge counts for 5% and Skills 15%. It’s palpable to convincing a lady, which I rank very low at. You always need that third eye and ear, an extra tongue a flair for being well versed with the surrounding. However, in my case, I must confess that due to my botched ability in mustering the skill to effectively and efficiently express my ideas in black and white, I have not been able to be called for even a single interview. Let me not lie, I have never gone to an interview I applied to, most of them have been referrals. Most are a result of the  former and come  without financial constraints on my side.


Perhaps I have wrongly written my CV for the right job. My resume is a two page document. I call it a bikini CV. Once someone said that a bikini is brief enough to reveal all details but covers the really essential details one wants to get acquainted to. I love the brevity because it gives the prospective employer room to gauge whether am competent for the job or not. Consequently, it reduces the time she needs to make a decision as she can easily flip through the document. You guessed it right, its pithiness has probably contributed in employers finding my credentials below par or of no value towards contributing in ameliorating the returns or contributing towards the goals and objectives of the firm in the long run. Pole Musa!


Hitherto, I thought that I would easily transition to another job having quit my former employer who made it clear that it would be in contradictory to company policy if I was going to be studying part-time. Even while working, I knew it was not going to be easy getting another job. I had tried and know the numerous futile attempts I made. Employers hate rookies. They take long to adjust to the workplace, are incompetent in their view and lack panache. They however will give an ear to an amateur with validated experience. So, internships, attachments or related jobs experience is as important as having done the job.


Relating to the employability course, I realized that participation in other aspects like sports, voluntary work, travelling and lots other engagement is important. All jobs have a skill you can always take to the new job. Cooking can help in being a watchman. Only a HR professional knows how.


Because of the enormity of the studies I am undertaking, I preferred staying out of employment. I cannot dispute that learning has no rewards. Time is the most important factor. If you easily find your life’s passion, then you know what is right. But with our increasingly competitive world, having an edge in terms of skills gives one an operational advantage. I no longer want an employer who will look at my transcripts then conclude that I am not worthy of the position. Irrespective of the paper qualification, I still work towards my employability. Whether it is through perusal or daily life experiences, at the end of the day, what matters is that God added me another day that I heavily invested on. How I use it in adding value to my eventual career boils down to the management of hours I have at hand.


The other day, I was flicking over the pages of a daily looking at the job segment. Who did I see? A certain campus mate appearing as model for their company’s newspaper advert. I remember holding my horses in applying to the said company. Even a certain lady who was ‘spit’ by my first year roommate was now plying her trade with the prestigious auditing firm. However, as a consolation, I can say I have never loved auditing. Just as you may abhor being a house maid, shamba boy or a toilet cleaner. However, the rewards and benefits the company bestows its employees, you cannot fail to reconsider a profession in that field. Plus you may find other befitting roles once in.


Seeing those guys on newspaper did remind me of one Greg Smith. He was once a vice president at Goldman Sachs, where he earned over $500K a year. Greg was even in the advert showcased to budding employees on how pleasurable it was to work for the investment bank. He depicted the role model who transitions from campus, then into the workplace seamlessly. However, in what appeared to be a complete icebreaker in the industry, he wrote an op ed in Times Newspaper signalling his resignation. Colleagues and the firm woke up to find out that he had resigned. As a student, I find the mechanism he used to tender his resignation very unethical. He also wrote a book which industry analysts studied carefully and vindicated his former employer of any wrongdoing. The fact that he was also engaging in ‘whistle-blowing’ instead of seeking the advise of independent counsel, or his supervisor or better still the compliance department was enough to also hold him accountable.  To cut he long story short, those two pictures of my former campus colleagues did stir something very crucial. I am challenged. I did ask myself, ‘What misdeed did I commit?’ Nevertheless, I am writing about it now. Yes I am also into writing. For there is a whole lot of life ahead. The only difference made is when the grim reaper ascends or otherwise.


In that case, allow me to introduce you to investments. It is said that the best investment is to invest in yourself. With that regard, I am envisioning myself being a C-suite professional in this angle, or a portfolio asset-manager or research analyst. The list is endless. Whichever comes my way, I am welcoming it with open arms. If something more appealing comes my way after the rigorous studies. You know what I will do.


In our investment profession, there is being passively involved and being actively involved. Like I chose to be actively involved in my studies. Even though my old man paid for my tuition fee, I found it was not enough. I felt like I needed to get out of the passenger mentality. I remember watching a certain lady on an investment channel I have subscribed to on YouTube. She decided to take the bull by its horns by enrolling for a PhD program aimed at equipping her with investment skills. That way, she could be able to analyze investments, select securities and construct an investment portfolio. That way she could be able to chart her own destiny with her money while investing. Obviously she lost when starting. Did she give up? No. Initially she relied on the advice of an asset manager in an investment bank to guide her on how to invest. But she was not getting results. After the studies, she moved from investing in mainstream equities to investing in derivatives (options to be precise). I know that is jargon. But you can always google the terms, right. She studied while working on a fulltime basis, as opposed to I who resigned. With $10000, she was able to make over $100 million in three years. Through active participation. If she invested without knowledge, she would have lost everything. Hard she taken a passive approach in investing, she would have ended up either getting a return of 10% to 20% a year. Does that ring the bell? She did risk investing for herself and the returns were a boom. And you know what? The asset manager who was to invest her money is now her partner.


I introduced the word risk and return. I am increasing the probability of my returns by hedging on the risk of failure by dedicating more time to study. I am a full-time student till I get a fulltime job. My rote is flexible, reason why I can take any form of employment that will aid in me getting credit points in my career of choice. I am not vitiating the role of the tutors who play an instrumental role in my studies. Only that I am taking an active role. In that regard, I am improving on my employability even though I am not employed. If I will not end up being employed, I will resort to entrepreneurship. That way I will have taken advantage of my employability.


Studying my ethical and professional standards notes, I realized that I could not mark as important sections I felt were weighty. Lesson learnt? All ethics and professional standards conduct is important. Am studying via a computer. Slow, tasking and loathsome. But I realized one thing. If I am professionally competent and can return the best results to a client without observing ethical standards, does it really matter? Yes. We all want to be associated with success. That is why a code of ethics and standards of professional conduct is critical. When we acquire knowledge over time, we can use it to societal detriment or benefit. That is why guidance is necessary even if you think you are the most moral of all persons. Maybe the Son of Man is the only being who can be exempt. But other mortal beings are not. Reason why we have a code that guides our profession.


Reading through the fiasco that led to the collapse of Imperial Bank. A bank whose logo signified royalty. As such it should have treated clients with reverence only given to a queen or king. I did bemoan the death of ethics and lack of standards of professional conduct in a profession that is at the centre stage of man’s interest. Money. We surely are beholden to money. I am not a morality evangelist though. If I was one, EACC would have probably hired me based on the track record which I don’t have.

Anyway.

I am only paraphrasing on the vices I read about. Whether true or the converse. Those that the common man finds too complex to understand. Especially when they do not innately affect them but macro economically contribute to poor credit rating of the country, collapse of the shilling against the dollar and serious integrity issues on holders of such institutions that affect the fiscal and economic policy of our beloved country.


In my opine, there is only one thing that should have prevented the collapse of such a bank. A code of Ethics and Professional Standard of Conduct. If only the employees acted at the interests of the beneficiaries (bank account holders) and the probable compromise of the Central Bank Governor through his better half, who should have acted with authority. If only such people knew about ethics, and acted with veracity. Probably the bank would have not been placed under receivership and clients loss their money due to the requirement of debt service before other financial obligations have been ratified. Is another scandal in the offing? This is Kenya.


Away from matters financials. Do you find anything that makes me tick? I think I am not a hustler. Not that a go-getter who is nimble when it comes to employment. But hey! I now know the genesis as to the reason why I had to fork out more for my professional course. I read about it and there is something called mosaic theory, I was able to piece up things. You see, I also don’t have a mentor. That someone I look up to. Is it because of my big ego? I am ready to kill it. Like I killed my conscience to become a teacher for a few months knowing full well the pay is wishy-washy.


Now piecing up all that information, you realize that my employability has not gone to the dogs. It’s only time before I get the right employer. But you see how things are related. A bank is imprudently run, it uses a gifts and benefits to influence the decision of the Central Bank Governor. The bank collapses, share prices of other banks also plummet, the number of investment bankers being employed thins and I am now here griping at my probable cause of lack of an opportunity in the investment industry.


This is a matter of conjecture. It is best left to the pundits and naysayers and haters to debate about. And on that note allow me to end with my signature of


Hasta La Vista, Baby.


[Picture Source: Google Images]
Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...