Let me keep it simple

Saturday 8 April 2017

ROLEX TIMEPIECE


The first time I sat next to a certain man in a mat, who was snuffling and smelling of some queer substance, I thought that the smell and sniffling were synonymous to him given that he also looked haggard and irresponsible. The smell was the kind that irritates and since I had no option I had to sit next to him battling mucus which was also loathsome. It was a cold season and the rains were just as now. Those are the times you regret why you sat in between two people in a mat. A lesson I have learnt. I rarely sit between two people unless I am in a hurry. I love it when I sit next to the window. It’s more aesthetic because you have a chance to sample some of those things you rarely do and notice those things you overlook.


The other day, I also sat next to another gentleman who I noticed was sniffling and was smelling the same as the old fellow I had sat next to years back. This guy was not old though. At first, I thought it was the vehicle that was stuffy. But on closer scrutiny, I realized that the man I had sat next to was apparently oozing the indifferent smell which made me want to place my nose far away but that was impossible. Again, it’s the rainy season and given that I was from the library and needed to catch a mat as quickly, I had to condone the nauseating effusion given that I had no other option. Luckily, some passengers alighted and I quickly changed seats and to my relief, the slackening was one of a kind. It was tantamount to getting freed from the hands of an abductor.


Less than a year ago, I spent enough bucks to buy me a simple midrange smartphone to buy a watch. Well, as a watch aficionado, I thought it wise to have one given that I had always thought of buying one to match my new prospects in life. After so much convincing, I decided to procure one from a friend who used to sell me cologne and attar on credit while in campus though at a price because the same were cheaper in supermarkets and other outlets in town.


When you are in a sales job, you must reach as many people as possible to be able to get those sales. As a rookie, I started with friends and relatives. The much I achieved from them was nothing much to talk home about. Then this salesman friend of mine came. I had thought he had transitioned into a white-collar professional, but looking back, he still was the same old guy, those of business as usual. Luckily, he was able to get things right and had gained some pounds over the years.


Then one day, he told me that there was this priest who he was in school with who had told him to market for him watches given that he was good at the act. I guess that was just a ploy in convincing me to buy into his argument that the watches were imported and designer. I could tell he was lying. Only that he brought me what I needed and at the right time and place. So, for his troubles, I took a brand new fake Rolex watch from him. The kind of watch you unwrap from like you do a new bicycle given that it is covered with polythene (well, if the policy on polythene is implemented, this stuff will be no more). When I first wore the watch, which was oversize, I felt some tinge of importance. I am now the proud owner of a Rolex watch. Ain’t it an achievement.


Before buying the product, I was first introduced to it. He came with it and convinced me that it was a genuine watch from Italy and hence I needed not to worry about the authenticity (Mpaka hapo hata mimi nilikuwa tothi tu saaaaana). Never mind that I knew he was into fake stuff given that he used to sell me perfumes that made me doubt whether they were concocted somewhere in River road or the chemical contents had been esterified in a certain developing country known for generics. This watch has now become a white elephant. It has barely served its purpose.


Though the watch is no more, it was a one of a kind timepiece. It was elegant and traditionally stylish, those who saw it admired it because it never used a battery, and was powered by ETA quartz. It looked golden and sleek and was designed to match any outfit, even casual. Though oversize, it made me feel proud and professional. The dial was crisp, antireflective and made in a way so you can see the quartz that powers your watch. I loved the hands because the watch come with an elegant push-button deployment clasp. It was also made of glass from beneath so that when you are bored you could marvel at how the quartz are moving.


You see, having had ambitions to be in the investment industry, a Rolex watch was inching me close to joining the reclusive profession full of insider information that is never released to the public lest it leads to the collapse of some S&P giants of the world. Well, as opposed to those who join the industry, I was having my fake Rolex, sad but I later learnt the hard way.


Before I bought it, I remember googling to find out more gen about it. It was being sold in India for some rupee which was translating to something less than what I paid for it by about a G after doing conversion of currency. Since this was a unique chronometer, I paid premium for the brand and perhaps the cost of shipping it to me. Barely a week later, the watch was hibernating. That’s when I realized that the fake thing I had brought was not going to last long. The seller told me that it was characteristic of a ‘majira’ watch to lie dormant when it was not in motion. And true, instead of using a battery, it relied on generating its own energy to power the watch. In most cases, this is done through harnessing the kinetic energy generated from the movement of the wearer. The less you wear it, the less energy the watch gets and so the less accurate it becomes.


Every morning, like a jalopy, I had to start it by vigorously shaking it up for it to wake up. Afterwards, I had to set it again using my mobile watch for it to be accurate. During the day, it would lose network and stop working I thought it was a dame who had issues. When I inquired from the seller, he told me that that was the way a time piece that does not use battery behaves. I accepted the vibe though I doubted the efficacy of his word.


“Hizi ndio zile watch hukaa for fifty years unaachaia vitukuu.” He told me.


What I had bought thinking I would give my old man is now lying idle gathering dust having refused to work because the majira has gathered moss. The glass back also shattered into shards leaving the underneath exposed. It reminds me of the dreams I had. It gives me hope that one day I will have a Breitling, or a genuine Oyster Perpetual Datejust. I saw the unboxing of a real one a generic one on YouTube. Guess thats the price to you pay for being average. My dreams are still vali.


Moving on


In the meantime, I have followed numerous watch pages on Instagram and Pinterest. They are a reminder that I will own just a luxurious watch as I had imagined. Obviously,  when money will not be a problem,  a $10000 watch will be on my wrist. Hitherto,  I am still mourning my Rolex. I have to stare at it because it serves no purpose on my arm other than it being a jewellery.


Hasta La Vista Baby.



[Image Source: Pixabay.com]
Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...