Let me keep it simple

Sunday 15 January 2017

HUSTLER CRAZE


There is a scene where Nick, that cunning fox who is also the deuteragonist, sells popsicles to students after class having played victim in order to get a big pop yet his character is duplicitous. He cunningly gets paid for the pop by officer Judy Hopps who sympathizes with him and his young ‘un. She later finds little Finnick and Nick melting the pop in order to go and reshape them into small ‘pawpsicles’ to sell to the rat students where the earn quite some bucks.  


And then, there is that point where Judy tells Nick, "Well. I stood up for you, and you lied to me. You liar!" She lashed out at him. Upon which he naughtily replied "It's called a hustle, sweetheart."


Obviously officer Judy had a déjà vu moment and she did not waste time in seizing the opportunity into duping him to confess that he had committed a felony by lying on a federal form for tax evasion. ‘Well its my word against yours,’ Nick tells him. She then lets him listen to his tape recording before replying, “Actually, it’s your word against yours.” Before continuing feeling like a diva saying, “It’s called a hustle sweetheart.” Kaboom.


Mockingly, Little Toot Toot who was in the pram jumps up laughing out loudly while retorting boisterously, “She hustled you. Hahahaha. She hustled you good.”


I have never tried doing movie reviews before since it is not my cup of tea. Consequently, I am not going to pretend to do a synopsis of that movie. However, I love the hustling bit. Movies have also become my other love.


The lucky me requested to be redeployed to a less frustrating job from the more cumbersome and seizing up job of outdoor selling to telemarketing/sales. The day I got my letter, I could not even think twice. I even forgot to go tell my boss that I had moved given that she was not willing to let me go. The HR had solemnly replied to my prayers because I had drooped like a desert tree in that arena, why lie. I was even contemplating to resign during the festive season considering that I was finding it stressful to go back to do that which was not brining in results. It was a return to uptown deluxe. Actually, the reason why I left that kind of hustle though very rewarding monetarily is because of the fact that there is a behemoth in the name of CFA that I tackle each day that I cannot compromise on given that I hate repeating coursework. It normally comes between me and all the adoration I have loved over the years. Actually, you have to give blogging a wide berth sometimes to read CFA. It’s just practical. I don’t know how to explain it better than having to feel the pressure from within.


I now sit in a corner somewhere next to the boss’s WC and in the event that it becomes sprayed with those noxious air fresheners, I usually feel like fleeing especially when the door is opened because I am now a full-time proletariat operating from the Branch as opposed to looking for sales in the field. Well, it shows how diffident I can be especially if the pockets become shallow and you have heaps of debts that you need to settle but they keep on resurfacing like night after day.


So, there was this guy who came to the office and I loved his courage. He was sweaty in the armpit which was visible in his tight and amateur-redesigned t-shirt. Albeit, the njaanuary rippling effects were quite real and the Zuku bouquet had not been replenished so that I did  have to look for movies elsewhere.


The lanky guy was in all white. His face looked like someone who has worked so hard but ‘mjengo’ had not come through, the reason why he resorted to peddling movies in CDs the way I used to peddle loans, credit cards, accounts and insurance policies and my figures were not looking any brighter.


He showed me several pirated movies that would have wowed me, but I only focused on his general mien that was also questionable. None of his movies had the x factor that normally moves me to watch because ratings and the small bio of the movie tells me a lot rather than listening to the perspective of someone who there is a likelihood did not watch what he is selling. 


There is this movie called pets that caught my eye. I have never had about it but given that this guy appeared like a movie connoisseur, I instinctively trusted his word to be the gospel truth. I looked at him, tattoos all over his arms, neck and I  could tell they were never done at a professional tattoo artist but a novice who was not thorough in his trade. What convinced me to buy from him was the fact that he mentioned a certain manager who has a seat at a certain corner as his main customer and given that he succinctly gave a fitting description and given that it is a month known for its inadequacies, I gave him a benefit of doubt and decided to promote a fellow hustler who probably earns more that this office guy when their is a shortage commissions.


Later, when I went to try it on my laptop at the close of the day’s business. I realized that it was blank. I remember telling the chap that his DVD was probably blank but he reassured me that he cannot do so given the loyal customer he had.  That’s the point where I recollected my former nark skills in surveying a DVD. Ideally, there is a start difference in the coloring of a blank and a written DVD. A written one is kind of darker while a blank one is not as dark.


There is this conversation I was listening to about food in our ka small office kitchen and one of the ladies who work there made me laugh inwardly because I am new and as such did not want to burst out laughing at her. She was telling a story of how she arrived in the city back then from shagz. Apparently, she was brought up eating food in such a way that you eat as much as you can. On arrival in the city where she was to probably slum with her brother because I am sure they were not living in the suburbs to qualify as a resident, she got a shock of her life.


Ugali, was served in slices and since her brother also lived with a company of men, she started crying when she saw the quantity that was to be shared by all the people in that house. Five to be precise and she was there to eat with men who she thought were not having enough. Yet when you look at her, she does not look like someone who would eat lots of food because she is the kind of those we call petite. Luckily, her elder brother came to her rescue and bought her a full loaf of bread which she cleared not knowing that in the city you have to have manner when eating.


Since this is about hustling, there is a certain hobo who is dread-locked on Moi avenue near Innscor eateries who ‘times’ dudes walking with ladies to request for alms to go and buy some victuals. I only noticed that when I saw him hustling a certain guy with a ‘kawa’ chic and I passed him realizing that he also begged me to give him cash not twice but more than that on several occasions when he spotted me walking with a chic from work. I just shook my head and said inwardly, 'This is Nairobi.'


Hasta La Vista Baby.


[Picture Source: Google Images]
Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...