Let me keep it simple

Friday 17 June 2016

PETTY BUT PRETTY


This is my last day of being idle. I have been idle for the past couple of weeks and though not the idle of being useless, in some other people’s angle, I have been idle. But idleness is nice, some times. You are never bugged by any one, you have so much time which is again so little. For instance, just at the dial of a button, you are able to get to that pal who is also idle and you have all the time to talk about all the nonsense in this world. What ladies call catching up.


I go my first job about four years ago where I worked as a volunteer for Red Cross. Hitherto, I had thought that it would be business as usual when it comes to arrival time and exit. Ideally, I was not the person who loved being late. But during one particular occasion, I got late. We were assisting nurses in handling children who were due for vaccination during a Measles campaign. Also conducted concurrently was the creation of awareness that the campaign was ongoing. Never mind that my church was against the process, somehow, we managed to vaccinate some kids within the church by setting base somewhere (sic). But given the fact that I was killing idleness and making money at the same time, I thought it was a worthy engagement.

Then one day, I accidentally got late. I remember our supervisor fuming with rage almost sacking us for not taking our duties seriously. She was called Bibi and came with the head of our team. I remember chickening out and almost ‘lambad’ her not to sack me because I urgently needed the money for personal use. I was the first to arrive late followed by two other Congolese dudes who were also hustling in the city. I had just finished my sophomore year and was lucky I had joined Red Cross and got engaged few weeks later because they saw how serious I was.


Luckily, we got a reprieve because we became remorseful and promised never to get late again. Ideally, the reason for our lateness was due to the fact that the city clinic nurses we were working with were usually late and it took them time to open it which meant we had to idle around walking in the city if you found no one in sight. That was before I knew that better be in time than be on time.


In principle, keeping time is something am still struggling with. Yesterday (6/16/2016), while going to sign my contract, I arrived on time to the venue I was supposed to be but did not know where to go. In the process, I got late by ten minutes in asking for directions. Luckily, there was no caveat placed on the time of arrival because you were only required to go read the contract letter and decide whether to abnegate if it was not palatable or validate it if the offer was sumptuous. I laughed at myself the moment I saw it.


What drew my attention was the pay. I was not looking at it anymore, I was looking at pleasing future employers and probably forming a network, or landing my short term dream career because there is an avenue as opposed to where I was- being idle and lolling. Luckily, even got contact to a new colleague. Obviously, we complained about the pay plus the working terms silently but took it up because there is always something good at the end of the tunnel.


An idle mind is the devils workshop. Looking at the pay, I was thinking deeply. I have conquered one hurdle, in the short term. I will be dedicating so much time to my new employer in terms of travel to the work place and leaving not forgetting that I need my own time. But was this pay worth that wait? Mmmmmmmmh, just enough to ensure you do not stray but be able to pay bills arising. As for a continuing student like yours truly, there is one thing I will not be able to achieve in the short term again. I still need to dig into my old man’s purse for the last time as I work towards saving for my future school fees.



According to an article I read on Business Daily, the net if viewed on the surface will not be enough to take keep me in the city. It will just be enough to curtail the zealotry in me to be patient for a while. Given that I hate borrowing people money, I will take the little I have and now work on improving my relationships people who matter by aiming at giving real value.




[to be continued...]

[Photo Source: Google Images]
Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...