Let me keep it simple

Thursday 7 April 2016

HUDUMA CENTRE


There is nothing as tedious as waiting to renew or apply for a duplicate identify card. Especially when it is at Huduma Centre, the one located in GPO and you arrive mid morning.  Hitherto, I thought it would take me few minutes and am through with the process. I wrote this piece about two months ago while waiting for my turn to renew my ID. Ideally, I had already stayed for one hour inside the hall before commencing this write up. I remember looking at nothing in particular. Just meditating or maybe lolling.


Still, approximately 105 souls are ahead of me. That was visible given the digits on my receipt. ‘This requires patience another’ I told myself. ‘100  people have been served  already while am waiting.’
At this point, I had to retrieve my phone and pea myself shughli. Because I had also slept for close to half an hour. You see, am a three am man. Not that I usually get to bed at that time, but that's the time I arise.


Initially, I was at the taxman, to be precise, the transport wing to take my invoice since my DL got lost. It was so easy a process I was quite impressed. Then I remembered I needed to get a new I'd. Not that I didn’t have one but because getting a new one that looks like an ATM card is something I earnestly longed for. To have two, an old one and the new one. My aunt who works at the immigration department had suggested I needed to renew the old one. The one that signified am a second generation bugger. I AM NOT sure how this new ones are called.


Immediately infront of me was a hot mama. Let me say so because she was a lady. She spoke like she is from the coast. The sweet and flawless Swahili that scintillates and you want to hear more even though you are not concentrating on the message. The fact that she had high cheekbones, you couldn't help but stare. Then, that programmed lady who says, "Now serving a888, go to counter no.1" disrupted me from hearing what she was saying. She had a broken screen Techno phone, looked like she had also been waiting. Beside me, was a dude who had no watch with a faded white t-shirt turned cream. He was in fitting khaki pants and shoes that had holes in front. They looked frogfish or like the Volkswagen beetle we used to call pokopoko chura back then. He had no socks, kind of gross. And his feet looked scaly and mpararo. Next to him was an Indian banyan. Sharp, bespectacled and in a bespoke grey jacket. The kind that is sagging but still looks like it is fitting. Still it allowed room for breathing by the armpits if you know what I mean. He also tightly clutched on his iPhone just to show us he was owning a gadget. The old one that probably has the status of an iPhone. I also loved his shoes, shiny and fitting. As opposed to him, I was penning in some nondescript Asian phone which served the purpose it was meant to, communication.


I was writing because I do not have eidetic memory. In front were another bunch of gentlemen who were conversing. They had faded caps that had lost colour as a result of being over worn. Their shirts were also worn out. You just needed to look at the collar and you can easily conclude they were probably hustling, like yours truly only that they were doing it late in life. Or they probably had disguised themselves. You know, they looked like kuyos.


Hunger pangs started driving me crazy. ‘Looks like I will be staying another hour in here,’ I told myself. It was past two. However, I could not spot hot babes. Those that make you ogle because Mother Nature endowed them with the voluptuous hips, charming beauty or a bewitching smile you can't help but gaze or stare.


Looking in front, I saw this guy who was serving guys. I loved his hairline which was great on his face shape. In fact he looked like a model without hard part disconnection, as his was simply cut with sheers for a more natural short hair look. I guess he probably went to one of the finest barbers around judging by the way it gave his face a model’s look, plus he was tall. The only folly is that he looked old from afar. 


But this guys who tend to ID seekers were quite very hard working as opposed to the ideological belief that government employees are very slow. Reminds me of Zootopia, that scene at the government offices, seen it. As opposed to the usual sluggish nature of most government employees, they worked like it's a machine they were made of. They never got tired. If they did, they would be quickly replaced by another more agile fellow. But when you have a sea of humanity looking at you, you sure know you must deliver. There is no compromise. Maybe they were adhering to the motto on the wall that, "Efficient service available at the convenience of the citizen".
At that point I remember ceasing to continue writing. ‘Wacha niachie hapo Juu hii njaa joo. Ni ngori.’


Then I started feeling like going to the loo but was afraid of asking where the Damn place is. Chances are, you will find them in a pathetic state, the usual government facilities. Also, there should have been a place you can buy some water. To quench your thirst. This is a huduma centre na hata hakuna chai kuwapa wageni unaowahudumia.


Like most public governmental offices, there was a notification on the walls indicating no photo taking. But when you are despondent as a result of boredom, you may be tempted to take a photo. Yes, it's a probability. But rules can be broken, right. Like you can take  Selfies kichini ya maji.


Then all of a sudden the progress of the queue ceased for five minutes and I felT like you would fall the next minute. But since I was seated, I just waited and pretended I was alright. Because patience pays. It aids to keep you calm. Even those first time internationals who travel to the USA for ten or more hours have to be patient. It's a virtue.


Then there are these kind of guys who smile and remain looking at what caught their attention with their brown teeth also aiding in vision. There was this man who had a book. The ‘Millionaire Mind by Thomas J Stanley, PhD’. Damn do you need a suffix at the end of your name to sell? Or is it just a way of telling guys, ‘I am well read’. Who even cares about titles in this age and time? Then there was this damsel reading Joel Austin. I found one of his books quite bland. But you really need a deeper Christian mindset to imbue the contents. It's just normal for me to say so because my Catholic status does not endow me the spirituality of possession. Maybe am just cynical. But it's just me. Methinks the issue of spirituality is a personal affair.


Inakuanga sacrifice ya the whole day’. A guy tells me. Then we chatted for a while until we realized we are having no more words to share. Judging by the fact that I was now doing three hours on a continuous basis yet it looked like I was not going to be through with the process as early as I had anticipated. It made me feel wasted and used like a lady feels after a quickie. But that is the price you pay for engaging in such an activity. One that gets boring overtime especially if you have no chat mate. Even if you did have, you cannot continue talking for more than two hours without lacking words to tell the other person.
As I was writing this, I had slept more than three times. When I woke up and feeling bored I continued scribing. A pair of two chicks captured my attention and being the  passive guy I took no action. Just imagined what they were thinking seeing me slumbering.


‘It's almost my turn to be served.’  The queue was snaking and if this is the consequence of having to renew an ID, probably next time I will use the easiest route, not necessarily having to issue some soft dollars. But in the event I will be in a job requiring most of my time, then I will use those alternative ways.


Did I mention that there is that point where your finger prints are taken by either a dude or a lady. I wish these guys were more intuitive. How does it feel when a hot lady has to grab your middle finger then rolls your finger over the ink before taking the plain impressions on your fingerprint card? Any dirty minded fellow will not fail to be naughty just to ease up the formality of a process if the lady gets the point. If the lady's hands and fingers are soft, that's the point you start making castles in the air and probably you may en up smudging.


Anyway.


The model like guy is the person who took a photo of me. Me thinks he probably  side hustles as a model because he was tall with the frame of one. I remember  standing on an elevated platform so that he could take my snap and he still towered above me which made me feel inadequate because I wish I was taller.


PS: I picked my ID and DL on the same date a month later. I love the new look ID, its coloured. Oh! In fact, my phone had refused to charge since that day and I only had it repaired today and downloaded part of this excerpt from my google notes. I will still be holding on to my Small Wiko phone which has served me fine in the next few weeks as I strategize on getting a Galaxy Note even though I have no reliable income. But all things are possible.


Hasta La Vista, Baby.


[Photo Source: Google Images]
Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...