Let me keep it simple

Tuesday 16 February 2016

ARRESTED BY A LADY POLICE


Have you ever been caught by a lady police officer? Unawares. Driving on the right lane. Listening to music and jokes on radio and laughing like a hyena inside to those bland jokes by a sell by date radio presenter. That’s the time thoughts started accelerating in my head. Even though I knew I was on the right, my heart was hammering inside my chest like it belongs to a rabbit running for its skin.


I feigned composure though.


Unaenda na route gani?’ she asked. I don’t remember receiving any greetings from her.


“Langa’ta Road,” I replied.


“Nifikishe Bunyala Road.”


“Ingia twende.” I said then went mum.


She pulled the manual lock because I had rolled down the window due to the sweltering heat and entered inside. She looked motherly, removed her reflective jacket and I noticed the sillage. It was floral and nuanced of a finer approach. After sitting, we had a plausible awkward moment. I remembered I had discussed with someone that cops like freebies. Lifts are their weakness. This was the second time I was carrying one. The first was a young policeman who stopped me and as opposed to this lady, we had a lengthy chat. Usually, they are on their way to attend to duty.


Nairobi traffic jam. It was a gridlock on that day. Every car had turned off its engine, you could see matatu conductors wandering on the highway looking up and down for clues. My panya route turned out to be the longest route. I had used Kenyatta Avenue, then snaked effortlessly on Processional way to Haile Selassie from Uhuru Highway. I caught up with her just after switching lanes from Processional Way. Then I saw the cars I had left in the jam on Uhuru Highway getting preference over us. Ouch! Reminds me that I always have to exercise patience. However, this lack of patience had resulted in me giving a lift to a lady police. Is this not a worthy exercise?


I normally listen to Capital FM while alone. A habit I developed in campus because we thought it was cool. So the practice has stuck. The sassy diva was on air. Apparently, Koffi Olomide, ‘Mukulu Kulu’ is coming to town, tickets go for 2K. I was made to understand he has over 35 names. Pole Musa. I cannot afford to attend this concert. My uncles love such stuff, Rhumba. They hyped how they would attend Fally’s concert. Did they attend?


Sitting inside a car with a police is uncomfortable. Especially with the sweltering heat of Nairobi and am dark-skinned. That makes me look darker than usual. Compounded with sweat, I look scary. Just wondering how she resorted to ask me for a lift. Is it because I had not tinted the front windows? Do I look philanthropic? Or is it that I am homely and kind? Food for thought.


Inside I started being bombarded by many questions. How do I start a conversation? Why does she not take the initiative? She is a cop for Christ sake and should be able to take initiative. The insurgent cold almost resurfaced. Most guys I know are currently battling a cold. ‘Mapua karibu itoke makamasi.’  I had to look up and sniffle. To avoid eye contact, I decided to look outside. Imagining.


This were the imaginations. Why is that guy in a bespoke suit walking from work? Does he even know that I have no money on me yet am driving? Or did he pack in a shady place where he does not have to fork out parking fees? We surely needed to switch positions if he had no car. He is burly and am kind of skinny, I think this is a reversed role. Then I notice a dude who has a big derriere. They go like, ‘ashu mia, ashu mia’. This sounds gross, right. But he should have lent that lady in front of him with some. She looked like someone denied those assets which are hideous on men.


A voluptuous lady with yellow thighs passed by the kerb. She had a slit on her skirt that almost kissed the ass. And she had a fine ass. I wish I could go tell her ‘Kizuri chajiuza, Kibaya chajitembeza’. She probably caused men to have lascivious thoughts as she walked the aisles of the offices.


As a driver, you only imagine. Imagine a lot of things. You are also imagining what the cop is imagining. Let me not pen down those dirty thoughts. But cops know so many secrets. This one was a traffic police. She was well build, round faced and had a mellow voice. A phone call did break the virginity of silence.


Hallo.


Sitafika mapema leo.


Unataka nikulete nini?


Sirudi town lakini.’


I could not hear what the other person what saying. But it did sound like a young’un. That was just an excerpt of the short conversation they had. I was not keen enough because I was driving. You know men cannot multitask.

She also talked with someone who sounded like her boss. The jam was on again. She kept referring to him as ‘Sir’. Her senior. Sign of respect, like we used to call all our male teachers ‘Sir’, in primary school. And that mentality has also stuck in me.


After the conversation, the jam started moving. I remember her telling him that she was taking to her what he had required of her. Then I realized that indeed, cops have sway on the Nairobi jam.


We had been in the jam for more than thirty minutes. But after the conversation was over, we started moving.


She said something but I still could not respond. I have some kind of introversive demeanor with strangers. Then there was news that there was a proposal to increase the age of judges to 74 from 70. She gave the example of Kubana. That they were going to age while in office. But judges are like wine. I corrected her that it was Kalpana Rawal, the deputy CJ.


We talked about how judges like privileges, and she talked about immunity and some other benefits I have forgotten.


I wanted to ask her how comes guys in big cars with normal number plates were overlapping and overtaking using the wrong lane while we were in the jam. Why did they let them do so? Were such guys more special than us in small cars that with three litres, you can drive to Nakuru and back? Could we also do that now that she was going to build the nation? She never looked like someone in a hurry.


On reaching Bunyala road, I almost hit a car by the side. ‘Umeingia vibaya,’ she told me.


One of the side mirrors is past its useful value. It serves no purpose other than it just being there. A grease monkey had told me it retails at 4K. I cannot afford that.


She did alight on the round-a-bout as I sped off.


I remember seeing a guy in a vitz looking at me. Maybe, he thought I was caught and the fact that the laws do not allow police inside commoner’s cars, it looked odd. But at such times, you need to kill your conscience. If you can kill your conscience and live your life, you will achieve great feats, someone told me.


PS: Someone pulled the charger from my pc while doing the original version of this post. It was over 800 words. I hate having a laptop in form of a desktop. That means I should buy a battery as soon as possible. That was more than two hours of time lost. I now wish all my content would be web linked so that nothing is ever lost.


Hasta La Vista Baby.



[Picture Source: Pixabay.com]
Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...