Let me keep it simple

Tuesday 26 January 2016

STEADMAK GARDENS KAREN


Ever imagined being bought a bottle of beer while having a great time in the waters, say a small lake, or being served food while cozying on top of a floating restaurant by a flunky who rows a canoe holding a course with paddles?


If you consistently write, you will sometimes find it tricky to have killer opening lines in your write-up to hook on your readers. Every scribe knows full well that he or she has to ensure the message is driven home using the first few words.


That was a detour. As such allow me to decode. Can I annul to the fact that I have adopted middle-class mediocrity with the idea of frequenting joints in order to while away time when an opportunity arises when it is an all-expenses paid lunch in a hotel.


Less than two years ago, I was at Steadmak gardens, Karen. I was initially scheduled to attend a wedding at the venue in April which was graced by our home county senator (not the Nairobi one). On the contrary, I never attended because my campus project was acting like this elephant in the room that I needed to address. So as a matter of fact, I never made it to Steadmak.


Three months later, I was able to be freed off campus baggage and I had all the time in the world to indulge in that which would kill the spare time that I had on my sleeves. Hanging out.


Alas! Hitherto, I had not meticulously thought of taking my ability in terms of penmanship to the next level. Maybe I would have reviewed this restaurant then. I was still having hallucinogenic dreams of joining a body corporate to kick start a career in any field of repute with a pay package rivaling my old-man’s as long as it could make me independent. Now my creativity seamlessly sews together different aspects of my subconscious. As such, I am indifferent as to matters pertaining to joining in and being a proletariat. Maybe I will be one. Sooner. God willing.


The first time I was in Steadmak it was quite a fun filled experience. There were few guests and the ambiance was quite serenaded. It was like taking a breather away from the city. Back then, it was still undergoing construction which was in advanced stages. However, nothing has changed in the two years I have intermittently gone there. We did check the hotel rooms, went to the swimming pool, and requested to see the birds, but upon being told they are paid for, we changed our minds.


Since it had just started, using the floating restaurants was free of charge. Allow me to say that Tujuane show on KTN was a major influence as to the reason why I had wanted to go visit the restaurant.


Steadmak gardens offers great ambiance and a luxury gateway from the hustle that is the city if I were to write a decent review. It is secluded in a kind of remote setting away from the chocking fumes of the traffic that goes by almost without break. I love the fact that it also caters for children who may feel disenchanted just eating and listening to music on a floating restaurant. There is a smaller version of an Amusement Park with trains, horses, see saws, bouncing castles among other sources of entertainment to fascinate those who may become obstinate as you imbibe liquor or frolic carelessly with your better quarter.


Currently the price of a single floating restaurant ranges from 2 k to 5 k depending on the depth of your pockets or width of your wallet exclusive of food. Which is relatively fair. The floating restaurant are more than inviting, there is a certain cool breeze inside that unnerves a clogged mind so that you feel pampered in a relaxed sensation. The one in which Nairobi Diaries was filmed in is cozy and the aura is filled with soothing music. The leather seats inside adds to its vivacity and desired comfort if you have a mama you want to please. My younger sister told me such places wow an average lady even if it means just getting inside and drinking a glass of water. So long as your loose vibes are complemented by the probity of being overgenerous with mullahs.


Anyway, I did not find the food that sumptuous. And many reviews of the place can corroborate this. The problem is that you need to book in advance as you may end up waiting for long as they have no ready food like the fast food joints I frequent on Tom Mboya Street. Plus the price of meals are highly exaggerated here. Most times I have gone to Steadmak, now thrice, I have had a wonderful experience, but not with food. There is a Christmas I went there and the best thing about it was that I ended up being a lackey, collecting food for my family and since I was free to serve as the waiters or chefs were tired for having worked continuously, I found it was a terrific experience. I took adequate or the write word to use is copious amounts. If I had taken the rationed quantity, maybe we would have gone back to the digs having that feeling of, "Tulionja tu". Plus we ate late, when the all the tender parts had reached omega levels and those being brought having been half cooked. Since we had to wait for long before we got our food, the hunger pangs on my belly decided that I could help out with service. 


This year, we were doing a birthday inside one of the floating restaurants. In the money stifled month of January.  I was told Sundays are family themed days hence like most joints it is advisable to go there on a weekday if you want to feel the full impact of the place. Apparently, I got a parking spot at an unlikely place. A place you never will get space to park when business is booming. So, January is not a bed of roses.


The most spectacular moment was when a certain musician came to our restaurant and played the trumpet for the birthday girl, my niece. The sounds were vivid, magnificent and brilliant. The symphony especially the mellow and smooth sound of the clichéd “Happy Birthday to you” was breathtaking. Played forte, notes in this register are sonorous and rounded. There is something about music that gives life even if you feel like you have spent a so much.


Later, looking at the pictures of the guy who was playing the trumpet, I could not see his visage, he had dexterously concealed them using his cap like Frasha in the early days of P-Unit. Then the guy started calling me ‘Ababu’ because am bespectacled and had shaved in a way similar to the politician. He had a the characteristic costarian accent and told us he knew it was the month of vacuity and whatever little we had, he would appreciate.


Naona nyi ni wasomi kweli, nikiwaona naona muna degree na masters. Mimi mamangu hakuwa nacho ikabidi niache shule mapema’ he told us.


If he knew only knew yes I am a jobless graduate and penniless one for that matter. I presumed he made close to 5 K on that sunny day in January having confessed that business was still catching up owing to the many tables he went to.


His music was just great, why lie, you can die for more (sic).


I must confess I love places with less noise, guess I gave aged. Anyplace that has din irritates me like s°°t. So, for a bugger like me, it is just fair that I go to social places when the numbers are less. That way I can get preferential treatment as opposed to when people are in multitudes and the servers never even bother with your order or find you like any other person. But giving them that tip cheers them up and in any case, I usually strive to give them one. Especially fine looking damsels who primordially look at you and have to serve you thinking you can be the Mr. Right they are after.


Verdict: If you are planning to go to a new place, then, Steadmak Gardens would be a wonderful place to sample, however, if you are someone who loves eating and as a result you have developed a fine taste for food and therefore a connoisseur in matters chow, you will be highly disappointed by the cuisine. But if an ale imbiber, its the best place especially on a hot Saturday afternoon with a group of buddies if you hire a floating restaurant.


Hasta La Vista, Baby.

[Photo Source: Steadmak Gardens website]
Share:

RECENT POST

Undressing youself, The echo effect

Once in a while, it's essential to break away, have a debut in the unmined, and see a poignant reflection on the losses brought about by...