Let me keep it simple

Friday 12 June 2015

STAYING IS TEMPORARY, QUITTING IS PERMANENT



Fine living. Damn this TV station. I have watching platinum weddings for the past couple of days and realized what most Kenyans do in terms of what we call a fancy espousal or an exquisite wedding is a pale shadow of what the average African American does during a time most women I tend to believe are the best moments in their lives. Fine living looks like a mirage, why lie. Someone tell me how to make money to live in deluxe.

I am not a fan of seeing people exchanging vows but the due to the fact that I sometimes never find it worthy watching miserable TV news that add onto my already fragile situation, I usually decide to watch something exotic. While the average Kenyan is miles away from having a wedding of sheer opulence and splendour, the fact that there is an avenue showcasing that people have gone to other levels means we can do our best to at the very least have a wedding that is standard and not exaggerated.

Sometimes I usually ask myself the questions such as. "Will I ever marry now that most of my male colleagues are bachelors? Will I ever achieve my dreams of liquidity to spend with abandon? Will I ever cross to the plush suburb of the city in the sun and live in tranquil and luxuriance life of grandeur free from the vexations and the beat up of life?"

Looking at the bigger picture, I am wondering if I will be able to hold water in my place of work. I have been completely attached to the profession albeit it giving me this meagre returns yet ideally I should be working on improving myself. I even have become if at all about even applying for jobs. Why should I by the way? But am building the nation, aint a trainer and an educator supposed to do that? Aint I  reducing the vacuous space that has been filling the medulla oblongata of most students? Never mind that scientifically medulla oblongata is the organ in the brain concerned with body functions such as breathing, heart rate and blood pressure. 

Medicine or science aside, since its Friday and men, I am like the brokest dude in town. You see, everyone wants to hear of those people who are living large, those who never eat mandazi and black coffee when its time for lunch that sells at a paltry figure when I am feeling endowed since the other option is to forgo because of the skyrocketing prices that seem untenable. Yet someone wanted to sell me what I spend less on more than twice the amount in one of the downtown facilities that sell them to men and women who are so gullible they offer themselves to be fleeced in broad daylight of their hard earned shekels because man is susceptible to hunger when having money. Bulshit, I ordered a mandazi though and went to drink it with the cheap coffee on offer.

Hitherto, I had never known that you could spend your whole life paper chasing those certificates only to end up working in a place where the staff turnover is so high you feel like you are slowly being swayed to join the fray. When you look at the reality of life and what you had expected in life, they are two different inverses especially if you are the progeny of a plebeian, you sometimes have to curtail your ambition in order just to survive. Later on you can rejuvenate your ambitions when things are looking promising. Sawa.

Sometimes I usually feel like, 'Why am I wasting my time in a place where every colleague thinks it is a place of respite before they can get that oomph place of succor in their career aspirations?' But when I want to give up and do my own things like blogging, web designing, earning my diploma from Tuko works (which led me to Microsoft Virtual Academy), I feel more fulfilled when I know I am contributing to making the life of another person better.

We sometimes tell the stories of touts, like there was one who had a masters degree plying his trade on ngong road and he was very comfortable with what he takes home. Then there are the mandazi sellers in slums, or guards or those who sell eggs and smokies and take home a good figure at the end of the day. Or that guy who in Kiswahili is said to "burura rukwama".  Though engaged in blue collar jobs, they survive and even enjoy. We concluded they sometimes take a better figure than a teacher.

There are times when you feeling the pinch and know where the shoe hurts most. Chics and dudes you were in the same class with in campus are doing more than three or four times what the average employee earns where you sometimes spend so much time you forget about your blog. Aren't we told to sacrifice, aren't there no jobs that when you find one that pays, you take it up hoping lady lack will smile on you and wolalala, you will get a nice job. However, since it is only in speech and not in action about their promising salaries since they have never offered to take you to a a cool place or joint to really feel their societal worth, you sit down and mull that maybe just maybe, theirs is a real struggle. But they developed over time and mark you, they are living it if whatsapp and facebook pics are anything to go by (I liked so many pages on Facebook to help ostracize me from their petty class difference). On our part, we are surviving, I cant place my pics on social media due to reasons everyone knows. Noone is developed (read having excessive tissue layers tiered by the consumption of more than normal calories) among us.

In the meantime, I feel the negative energy sometimes taking a toll on me (I kill it subconciously). Sometimes I get bored to a point I never want to go to class, but when I really don't want to go to class, I realize that the student pays and needs the knowledge as much as I also need to deliver it under tight conditions. But you need to been an actor, those times when you are not feeling like doing something turn out to be the times when you get psyche. In fact ever since I became a teacher, I can sometimes go to class and dictate off head because obviously I have read what I am to teach and can even explain it complete with examples. That I wake up early enough is not in question. My system has even programmed itself to this new conditioning. Reminds me of the Pavlovian dogs.

However, a colleague disappointed me too much, okay, in teaching, the pay is a paltry figure you adopt survival skills to really cushion yourself against the vagaries of the imminent. In Nairobi, you can never survive on that pay without running into debts (which most are forced to go though). You need to come up with other ways of hustling hard if indeed you want to ameliorate your standards of living. When the colleague quit for reasons best known to him, I felt like things were not right. I am strong, that I have come this far is not a joke.

I have also adopted this pseudo-serious look to appear professional so that students never take me for granted or take advantage on me. I have come to realize that working students, especially those in their thirties and forties are more easy to deal with than those in their early twenties and late teen. 

There is this older student who wears a beanie cap but each time he sees me, he removes it before he greets me. Is this not a sign of respect. You feel you are adding an impact even when someone does not recognize it.

Older students even have courtesy. When they want to pick their phone, they courteously do it. They respect you as much as you respect them. They actually know that they should take education seriously because it give them skills and makes them more professional not forgetting it offering a leeway toward better job prospects. But sadly, some cannot convincingly express themselves. Still others are full of themselves and think you need to attend to them like they are high school kids. Don't they know that in college as long as you are given the cause outline, the tutor's job is to ensure you have the material and cover the cause content of which most fail to achieve and end up giving out handouts instead? As a student, you need to take initiative and go the extra mile of doing things on your own. That is a philosophy I think applies everywhere.

But I have been a student, I know most students despise being tasked with the job of creating their own notes and reading thoroughly because if you do not read widely, you may find it tasking even to construct a simple sentence to convince an individual in writing.

Then I have this class of this former high school students who actually think that I have no much to offer and they can do what they want. I am still giving them what in insurance they call the grace period. I know their Achilles heel and can use it to their disadvantage. Some act as if they own the world. But a time will come when I will have my guns blazing and those who act pugnaciously and think they are in still kids will taste the wrath of an offended teacher.

Anyway, I have realized more chics love being taught and they never are as obnoxious as dudes  who one of my colleagues told me even have the audacity to ask him questions in sheng. He is the guy who is no more.

Looking at the bigger picture, I know I deserve better. I wish I was in a more challenging environment where even though you are working, you are specializing each day in  being a pro in the field of choice. The hours I spend reading in the morning, the alarm that is by my bed that reminds me that I should be helping students is a reminder that I can actually count that I am making a positive impact.

But a student offended me when he compared a colleague with me. Of course we can never be the same. There are those people who are very social and easy going. Lets just say, I have been more reserved. I long lost my witty side and adopted meticulous flair. Which makes me think I am losing out on a lot. Some of these students should know that people are sacrificing a lot because the materials needed to give them the best they deserve are sometimes scarce you need to dig deeper. And I will have to network a lot to get what I want.

I read from a writer that the internet is not a good source of information as the library and especially applies to books. The library is the epitome of knowledge, those who spend most of their time with books may not be materially rich but they are rich in terms of having knowledge and helping the world in solving perennial problems that lambaste it unceasingly. I am still seeking knowledge. I am now in the same shoes my former lecturers used to wear. They have seen a lot in life. They know that the average student is always impatient.

I especially love students who ask challenging questions. Sometimes when you don't know, you can use other students to offer answers before giving the final word of advice. It works, when three or four students give answers, you usually have a clue. And I can never go without asking questions. I love engaging people.

But methinks I will not last being a teacher. I have been having mild coughs that have prevented me from sometimes finishing that which I wanted to deliver. Ormaybe I should be carrying water. I will raise this issue when we meet our bosses. If I was planning to stay infinitely, I would have requested my employer not to place me where I landed. What I am learning is the art of patience. I have been a master of none. Say jack of all trades.

Oh, and I must say I am not good with the women folk. Up until know, I have not hit on any of the students, lets just say I am a good teacher. I know it is unprofessional but I have to keep my pudenda from committing dhambi ya adamu na hawa

Soon, I will practice the art of deception. I will only cram one good story that I will tell all my students and they will be able to identify me with the story. In fact, I need to go to UK so that I can be able to narrate about the streets of London feel. Even if it means going virtually. So that every statement of mine will start with, "When I was in London, I went to the Emirates Stadium (It is the most sophisticated in England at present), White Hart Lane and The Bridge- Stamford- and I saw River Thames where that Mighty American Magician was placed atop in a glass house."

But our Landlord grew up in London. In his tot years. He showed us the snaps with jungu kids him being the only black sheep among white. He schooled in the most cosy international school in the country when his stay in UK came to an end and went for trips the average Kenyan only dreams about. But drugs my friend, rendered him I a social misfit. I only feel sorry for him because he is worse than what Zulu titled in his blog 'Give a man a hand'. 

HASTA LA VISTA BABY. 
Share:

RECENT POST

Undressing youself, The echo effect

Once in a while, it's essential to break away, have a debut in the unmined, and see a poignant reflection on the losses brought about by...