Let me keep it simple

Thursday 7 May 2015

CONNECTION: AN APAGOGE?



I have a godfather. Why lie. You should be guessing who the bugger is by now. You probably think he is some big man sitting somewhere in an palatial office tacked somewhere in a leafy environment complete with lash green grass sipping some 50 something year old whiskey. And he is entertained by exquisite well toned socialites who have nothing to lose but money to gain (that's what they are after). He probably sits behind a cherry desk that seems almost superfluous, since there's little to no paperwork to be seen. Plus, a deep burgundy leather desk chair, that reclines to an almost obscene angle.


Hell no. I have a different Godfather. (Reminds me that I need to watch the Godfather series). One who offers me challenges. He can never let me sit idle and while away time. He challenges me to think and to be on toes. He wants me to see the bigger picture in life. He cares and has given me the leeway to act as I want. He never checks me. He never is like a teacher in primary following pupils around to check they have done what they are required to do. He wants me to be responsible, to find out something about life. It has to do with being watchful and taking stock.


I bumped into my Godfather more than two years ago. I never knew he would one day turn into the Godfather he is today. While most people have Godfathers who help you find a job or aid in a quest (hope this is their job, right?), after that you struggle to ameliorate your status, my Godfather is kind of different. The moment I found him, he never got me a job immediately. He only gave me an avenue. If I get that job, it will have to give it to my Godfather. But aint I employed already?


Everywhere I go, I am challenged. ‘You are going to make it.’ My Godfather reminds me as he whispers on my ear. He has refused to help me figure out how to make it. He lets me find out things on my own. I thought it would be easy dealing with him. However, he has been very instrumental in checking my moves. I have made mistakes before that I have been forced to correct. And will make many more because they help make one a better person.


My Godfather has forced me to go back to school. Not the conventional one where you sit each day and wait for a teacher to come impart knowledge in your empty head. No, he has put me on a journey I need to discover on my own. Actually, he ensured that everywhere I went to was a class. I have learnt a lot through him pushing me to try to do it better. Obviously, I have grown in many ways ever since our union got to the next level.

Who is my Godfather then? I actually don’t know. If I told you his name, you would not believe it, if I gave you the idea of how to approach him, still you would not be courageous to go through the way. He never relents, though. He will still be waiting for me with open arms. He is enthusiastic to welcome me back even when I deviated and went away. 


For instance, I just discovered the other day that he has been growing in bounds at a very steady state. The approach he took to advise me was what was inspiring. Am really betrothed to him. However I am not a fire starter. It is that commitment where you never have to be fully consigned to the person. You are free like oxygen.


I sometimes push my godfather to do things he is unwilling. Say, take me to the next level, or maybe just open up and tell me to surrender because things are not really working. But he never lends me his piece of mind. I am not an astrologer, a charlatan or a mind reader. Not even slightly. He wants me to think outside the box and look at the bigger picture. And maybe see to it that there is something I can gain or maybe discover if I never relent. My angst at him is void. He has no fillings. When you try to deviate, he brings you back.


As a matter of fact, my blog is my Godfather. Yes. Since it got me a full time job, I have been able to be in unpaid employment. Am a freelancer. Now I can concentrate on what I know best. Exploring all the avenues that are worthy but satisfying till lady luck smiles.


Sometimes, I usually cannot believe that this is my designation in life. Sitting down and reading books, travelling, watching movies and what else, writing because I am aiming at becoming a better reviewer. As you can see, I am not complaining on what I wish I had. I am only complaining that I wish I knew this earlier. I wish Godfather could have spurred the urge in me to do more earlier on in life. However he never did that. He was sitting still, never blinking an eye or moving an appendage. He was aloof. The kind of person who ultimately would have never even approached you. But he is there. The only problem is sticking to his ways. I have belabored him to change, he told me change is given upon purchase of cheap things. 


And that's true, change is never given to people who go for luxury and are filthy rich upon purchase. They never tell you to keep change, instead, they tip you.


However, I am open to being a connector. I have realized something funny about Kenyans. They are all over talking about connections which are never even that necessary. Someone who never seeks the connection gets the connection as you sulk day and night.


I am as unconnected as any other guy outside there. Seeking to make it even when I will tryout till the umpteenth time. I still have seven years to go with this godfather. When things will have taken a nosedive then, I will seek another Godfather. Then my sobriety will be rational enough having seen a lot and been knowledgeable.


The best connections still remains to be the network of people we have. They work better than anything else. But when it is said and done, it is the persona that will determine the success and if the connection work.


SITUONANE.


[Photo Source: My own]
Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...