Let me keep it simple

Wednesday 7 January 2015

AT THE DENTIST

Add caption

KCPE results were released without a lot of glitz and glamour that characterizes the event. Prof Kaimenyi really did a disservice to the kids who had worked very hard and smart in anticipation of being called on national television having performed very well or in archaic lingo “having passed with flying colours.” Last year marked a decade ever since I cleared primary school. Looking back and darning the stitches at how the years have flown away fast, I am still reeling from the menacing hangover of the past festive season that was like a maze since it faded out in the twinkle of an eye. Let’s say I am just subdued and bound by the reminiscences of yester year as they have failed to acclimatize into the new year like a textbook.

‘Mummy, ile ni chips’ I remember a young girl who was kind of five or three or four pointing at a brown paper bag that contained medicine. We burst out into frenzied laughter with my cousins when we heard this. I bet the girl was used to her mum giving her packed chips in those brown paper bags. I was probably 8 or 9. Since we were laughing, I only saw the mum whisk her away and not listening to what she had told her daughter. We were at the dentist, she was called Dr. Diana.  It was the first time I had gone to visit a dentist. My dad had gone for a checkup and since it was during the holiday season, I had accompanied him.

On the day results were to be released, I had gone to the dentist. I only realized that the results were being released when two ladies sitting by my side were discussing about it.

Initially, the ladies were talking about Big Bang Theory. They were talking about the Sheldon spot. I can’t  exactly recall the episode but it had to do with Penny and Leonard getting intimate then on realizing they were on his spot went straight to their bedroom cool things off. One of my friends told me that he had a buddy who confessed to him that he can only date ladies who watch Big Bang Theory. I am earnestly waiting for season 8.

The ladies were however not going to see the dentist, one of them was going to see the general practitioner who it seemed had so many patients to attend to. The dentist had not arrived from where he was to come from and so I was pretending to be reading the newspaper while I was listening to their conversation covertly.

The ladies also talked of Criminal Minds and other TV series that I can probably never recollect. Of course ladies know how to swiftly change from one conversation to another. All of a sudden, they were talking about a certain dude who one claimed usually acted like a diva. The reason why one was calling that man a diva was because the lady had told him he was 38 and since he was 35, he quickly corrected her since the lady thought that he had previously told her he was 10 years older than her. Boom! I was able to decipher her age.  They talked about Christmas and the long trips that they had made outside town during the year. Machakos and Nax Vegas heavily featured in that conversation.

Then they switched to politics before finally discussing KCPE. Chances are they were friends dating back to primary school as they were discussing how their school used to perform very well taking students to the likes of Alliance (my dream school back in Primary school) and the likes. One even talked of how her place, Gwassi had come up with better mechanisms of evaluating students before they sit for KCPE.

When they shifted to discussing salons, and girly issues, I concentrated on reading the Newspaper. Since it was Monday, The newspaper being Daily Nation, I automatically shifted to my favourite columnist- Rasnah Warah. She was hot on the Jubilee government and the silencing of criticism by the government.

Politics aside, waiting for a dentist is usually very stressful. They are very few and their services are highly demanded. The first time I went to a dentist was when I was in high school and I had to wait for more than six hours before I could be able to see the doctor. And when I saw him, he did his thing before telling me to go and wait for further actual treatment.

In this hospital I was, I was almost doing four hours before the doctor called me in. They carried out an X-ray on my tooth and discovered they had to do root canal. My blood curdled. When you hear of root canal, you need to be afraid, very afraid. The process is costly, very painful (painful here is an understatement) and very traumatizing. The good thing was that I had medical cover, the sad thing was that I was to undergo through the process. My oh my. It had not gotten to this again.

I remember the first time root canal was carried out on my tooth. Dentists are people I can say ‘hawana huruma.’ Perhaps coldhearted and callous.

They have these very thin syringes (I don’t know their names). Usually you have to open your mouth wider before they can anaesthetize the part of the tooth they are working on by injecting it with those chemical that make the mouth numb. The syringe injects the palate and lower jaw leaving you feeling like your face has mumps all over. When you look in the mirror, you realize you face is just okay but what you feel is different. Like those people who go for surgeries on their faces and the faces end up looking deformed and some cement inserted on the bulging potrutions.  

When you bite your lip or tongue, you only rapture the soft tissues but you feel no pain at all. When you look at people, you think that they are looking at you because your face looks funny and has bulged like that of Shrek but it does not look so. The dentists usually make the tooth numb then sends you back to the waiting room in order to allow it to be operated on when the medicine applied has worked as required.

Advances in the medical field means that one does not have to have a bad smile after having a refill of the tooth.  Again, the process is no longer as painful as it used to be. This however depends on the dentist who is operating on your tooth. Dentists in some public hospitals never give a damn about their patients. They never ask when you are feeling pain as they mess with the tooth like it is some mine they are working on.

Dentists in private hospitals are more humane. They treat patients like they humans and not some animal or stone without feelings. In fact the one I went to told me f every procedure he was carrying out and contrary to the pain I had had, it was a very successful procedure without any ados.

SITUONANE.  

[Photo source: Google Images]
Share:

RECENT POST

Undressing youself, The echo effect

Once in a while, it's essential to break away, have a debut in the unmined, and see a poignant reflection on the losses brought about by...