Let me keep it simple

Friday 2 September 2016

IT SHALL BE WELL


Somehow, we all want a big break in life. A big break in our hustle so that we are better than the next average John or Jane. We need one to cross over to the other side of life, to be viewed as having made it years after struggling and the list is endless.


For lack of a better word, I am leaning towards the phrase ‘big break’ which I have repeated thrice. Anyway, I got a number of synonyms through Dr. Google and 'windfall' is what should replace the phrase.


Hitherto, I used to love the name we have been accorded as salesmen in our bank. We have this fancy name called ‘Lead Generator’ which sounds posher than being called a salesperson or a sales executive. Does it mean that roles have changed, not really? But we are better off with that name. Perhaps I should also change the status on my professional LinkedIn page to reflect my new found title fortune in a tier one bank.


Over the week, the country was so much engrossed in the pep talk on how the capping of interest rates was a godsend for the normal mwananchi who had to contend with high interest rates from the banks. This significantly means that they are going to start enjoying low rates failure of which the Central Bank will act in the event they do not cap comply with the new law.


Being the first line of defense when it comes to dealing with customers (which is obloquy as opposed to the title client because they are seeking after services). Obviously, we want a kismet in our endeavours. As for yours truly, getting many clients who uptake products from our firm will be like karma for me. This can be made easier if they refer me to other potential clients who will give me more business and the rest as we say is history.


Anyway, I read an op ed by one Larry Madowo on his exploits as a teenager who worked as salesman for a bank and I was left tongue in cheek because of what I can refer to a teenage rampage. Ideally, most teenagers never really know what they want to be in life. They think of so many careers, but never know that which they want. My bet is that he decided to be a salesperson to while away time. Little did he know that that would form a foundation of his journalism skills especially with regard to questioning clients who in his case are various individuals he interviews on various occasions. But one thing remains, the art of having people’s skills starts with selling.


While Larry may have painted an honest view of what he perceives of the profession of salesmanship, what he failed to understand is that there are so many people out there who survive on it and if given a chance to move to the next level, they would not or some went and returned back to the job they know best, selling.


This reminds me of the bestselling individual in our bank who I normally sit next to because our desks are on the same row. I remember eavesdropping to a conversation he was having with other vintage colleagues about a certain proposal he was given by another organisation to be employed on permanent basis with a figure slightly less than one hundred thousand.

Niliambia huyo HR sitaki hio kazi nikakata simu.’ He said.

“In fact, it was the HR who called me and said that she was going to give me an office, better terms or service and other benefits which I declined.”


“Unajua my monthly exenses run in excess of 200K and this lady wants me to be seated in the office the whole day only to be given 80K. I have told them to review my salary to something better past what I currently earn, failure of which I will not take the position.”


I was seated next to some two rookies who were recruited after me and told them of how this boy genius was talking and they did concur with him. He is usually sharp in his formal and casual wear and his cologne is mild for the occasion. Not the kind that screams even though it should be easygoing so that you don’t vex your imminent host.


What I love about this guy is the fact that when he is talking to a client over the phone, he usually takes over the conversation like a boss. He explains facts and scenarios like a person who has information at the palm of his hands. So, at the end of the day, he can be able to close so any deals such to chagrin of this blogger who should by now be making big bucks to take this blog to the next level. The next level here means finding a domain name, a webhost and a professionally designed web platform.


Anyway, when the money comes, I will do the same. Which reminds me that I also should be saving for it instead of waiting for the money to come. However, as for us in the selling business, sometimes it’s not about the lack of job in the market. It sometimes about the skills you gain in the process, the knowledge you get and the ability to make more money once you get steadfast in the business.


Has for me, there much more to be gained in terms of new insights, stories and most of all, getting engaged.


Hasta La Vista Baby.


[Photo Source: Google Images]

Share:

RECENT POST

Indisposed

About this season, there inevitably comes a point when you find yourself feeling under the weather, often without any prior planning or anti...