Let me keep it simple

Friday 28 July 2017

PREPARING FOR DISAPPOINTMENT

Disappointment

As I type these unsavory words on the keys, I feel emaciated regarding the inceptive peptic feeling I had when I embarked on a certain journey. That I have sank deeper and deeper into emptiness and apathy is a stigma I cannot explain. I have this invincible feeling that makes me kind of miserable. I feel like I want to express my feelings sincerely, but I cannot. Diction is elusive.


You see, I keep on bawling like a baby and throwing tantrums like a toddler in my quest for attaining things. Which makes it hard for me to get a grip on my own mind. I feel desolate and want to childishly say, ‘I want my mummy.’


Every negative emotion is buried before I can even feel it, making me passive and weak and every other feeling is crammed into my chest. Problem is, that space is getting so full, so much harder to ignore. Some inner pain is bottling up and I feel like I want to release the internal pressure that is astronomically turgid. Even my personal happiness is tinged with sadness. I  find myself caught between feelings so antagonistic to one another.


How do I defuse this bomb without triggering the damage I seek to avoid?


I think it’s legit to fail. Like every other soul, I fear failure. That is why it took me more time than ever to sit down and pen this post that was haunting like the spirits of the dead are which I feel are roaming where I am, walking around as ghosts. In my small room making me have hellish dreams that are unimaginable. Slowly, it is sinking in. That, yes, at some point in life, failure is a must whether we prepare for the feat or not.


I had been waiting for my CFA results but I was having this mixed kind of feeling. I was scared and equally confident even though pessimism was at a higher percentage than expected.


About a year ago, I wrote about the feeling of passing CFA exams here. A year later, am writing about failing. Yes, I failed and I must admit that I rest the blame entirely on my lack of preparing well and greed for petty money that never helped me out in any way. I cannot account for anything worthwhile out of the cash anyway.


 As I had intimated before, I was cynical about the results after sitting for my exams. I knew I had not given my all in terms of the requisite preparation required to sit the exam. I was wobbly somehow.

Looking back, it has been a lesson well learnt. That it is only responsible to go to a battle well-armed to the teeth and never leave anything to chance for the enemy to detect the loopholes if any and use it to disadvantage you. And in the event they detect sloppiness, you have a fall back plan that resuscitates the battle and you bounce back with an epic resurgence.


I must admit that I prepared well for the enemy given that I was average in terms of the scores that I had in my final results. The only problem was that I never put my skills into use before going to face the enemy. I never did pilot editions, auto simulation and trial and error mockups in my quest to conquer. I was ill prepared because of fear. Fear is bad.


I must admit that I was not as thorough as I should have been. The extent to which I had whet my intellectual acumen was not as nimble.


There were many days I wasted on the run up to the exam engaging in futile trivialities. But the biggest reason why I was ill prepared was because of being stressed. Especially at the workplace. I only revised consistently for only a week. Which is not adequate.


I was stressed out in my job. I have come to learn that a sedentary lifestyle is crucial if you are preparing for an exam. If you are up and about, chances are you will never be settled and ready to tackle an exam without having trouble in executing that which you wanted to achieve effortlessly without I wish I knew.


Now I have this heuristic feeling that has made me strong.


When I was preparing for the exam, I never took into consideration the revision part which is very crucial. I was adamant in revising using questions preferring to dwell on notes as opposed to doing similar exam questions to prepare myself for what lay ahead.


The truth is that I read everything that I was required to, twice. Unfortunately, when it came to the questions bit, I never took them seriously. I thought I was a genius. Therefore, there was no need to dwell into questions because I could use my mind to piece up those that I never understood.



I remember a certain friend telling me that there is a high likelihood of passing the exam if you guess rightly by doing so intelligently. I really laughed and told him to guess in two exams because they are closed ended questions and he ended up scoring only a third of the questions correctly. I had disputed his assumption and it turned out right.


There is nothing as demanding as preparing for a CFA exam. It is a mere six-hour exam that makes you a social recluse and an academic nerd that whether you pass it or not, you know where the shoe pinches.


I did fear taking exams to gauge myself on where I was strong and in instances where I was week. Plus, I was using a computer and using it proved kind of tricky for revision purposes especially when doing scenario based questions. Lesson learnt, the antiquated way of revision still outdoes using softs. It is best way to you use papers and books to read and revise as opposed to using computers and phones because the radiation effect may transpire.


I barely did two exams before taking the main exam. Which I never even finshed. I did one and failed disastrously and thought of focusing on mastery of the notes as opposed to trying out other exams. That was another receipt of a havoc in wait. CFA is a question based exam and the many you can tackle correctly with ease set by different course providers, the better for you as an individual because you will be able to get the gist of the content.


The exam bit was my weakness because they  essentially help in testing knowledge that is presumed you have got through studying the coursework. It did measure my knowledge and the truth is that I was deficient in making it to the few who passed it successfully.


Would have favourable results changed my fate? I doubt. There is no employer who recognizes the value of an employee who only has knowledge unless the skills and knowledge result in revenue on the part of the employer. Hence you may have knowledge but if it takes time for it to be fruitful, then you are as good as a waste. Which is not essentially true.


During the exam, which I did and though was not that hard as I had thought, I felt like I was preparing for the wrong questions. While the questions I was tackling were direct and straight forward, those that I had used for revision were complicated and too much time consuming I felt that I did not need them for my revision purposes. Little did I know that they were crucial for the ultimate goal of doing the real exams that is graded and can help or may not help in later life.


When I finished the papers, I instantly knew that I was having a fifty-fifty chance of passing the exams. And truth be told, I had been praying silently that the exams be favourable owing to the many hours I had put into study and the nights I had decided not to go and party. But critically looking at the hours, I was not as thorough as I should have been in optimizing them to the fullest.


There was Whatsapp that was a distracting tenet, and the need to play Candy crash when I was bored. I never pushed myself to the limit this time round like I had when I was doing my level one exams. I should have pressed hard. I should have revised more. I should have dedicated more time not reading like a stuttering preacher reads the bible but spent more weeks answering exam questions. My memory capacity then could not be able to retrieve the prior information and put it into good use in answering the exam.


Then the day for receiving the exams came and I was eagerly waiting like my friends were. There is a friend who I knew would not pass exam owing to the fact that he had not revised as he should have for exam. He did a mere three weeks for revision which is abnormal because he studied for one and half months for the course work. I remember see him struggle and I knew he was a disaster in waiting.


The morning when the results were to be mailed, I went and check my mail but found nothing. Yet the actual time for transmission was 0900hrs ET time. During the rest of the day, I kept on refreshing my mail and it was not until around eight in the night when I woke up from a siesta to find my results and the regret message that I was more than expecting.


I should say that in the event that I could have passed that exam, then I would have been a genius. I would have screamed my heart out for the entire world to know I had been victorious. Because I was doing two jobs, and reading at the same time. But it was not to be because I ended up failing and I had crafted my own casket. They say as you make your bed, so you must lie on it. I am lying on the after effects of my own making in failure.


Since I normally work at night, that day I felt disheveled and weak. Yes, it was eminent but the truth is that we all expect good results at the end of the day. Chances are, I would have worked better and energetic would I have received good results. At that moment, my eyes started becoming glazed with a glassy layer of tears and they almost slid from my cheeks but I courageously snuffled. It’s not like my life would end if I did not pass. I was too sad to I wanted cry out and wail. I felt a burden had clogged on my system because it had choked the little hope I had out of my heart.


I felt like I wanted to sleep. Yet I could not slumber once in bed. Thoughts were like a carousel in my head. To kill the antipathy, I remember calling my friends and they intimated how they could not work that day. Well as opposed to them, I was able to work until emotions raged high because I could not be able to find work online and my hourly earnings were plummeting at an evanescent rate which made me want to crash the computer because I have got this temper. I decided to go and sleep it off. To forget about the sorrows, the sacrifices, the friends I have lost and the job I would have been in had I not been so much focused on the exam at the expense of exam.


Now I have learnt it the hard and better way. I will devote time like in my quest to nail level two like I devoted time for level one. I have learnt how to be dedicated and stick to rote come what may. I think passing the exam is not as important as what it inculcates and the knowledge you gain. While it would have boosted my ego, prepared me for the next phase that is the final leg, it has taught me more in my everyday life.


In the event that I had passed, I would have gone to the next stage with some braggadocio buoyed by the fact that I can do two jobs and still focus on studies and pass. Wrong. You cannot have three competing fledglings happening at once and you expect that you can juggle them successfully. At the end of the day, you will lose one, two or all.


I ended losing the few friends that I had after that. Someday, years from now when I will finish my CFA exams because I am planning to finish it come what may, I will rekindle the friendship if it can be rejuvenated. I feel like I have lost a lot. Nobody even calls to say hi even though I bought a phone. Even my immediate kith and kin that include my mum and dad have gone mute. I have not told them about the results and will tell them later on when I feel philanthropic enough.


Even the gal I used to talk to who was a soul mate went mum and I think she will never talk to me again soon because she is the type who catches feelings but never admits that she feels let down. And she will not blink first, neither will I.Both egotistical individuals who fear expressing their minds or letting go of the pride. Apparently, she is the type who asks how was your day when you call because she thinks she needs to know what happened. I once told her I took a certain lady for lunch and I could tell in her voice that she was not happy about it. That's it.


I bet we all go through this life’s moments. They are what make us strong. I know this is a season I will overcome. In the meantime, I will continue praying till something happens.


Hasta La Vista Baby


[Picture Source: My own].
Share:

RECENT POST

Undressing youself, The echo effect

Once in a while, it's essential to break away, have a debut in the unmined, and see a poignant reflection on the losses brought about by...