Let me keep it simple

Friday 26 May 2017

A BREATHER


Life happens in strange ways. The guys who were smaller than you become bigger and you are left wondering whether you don't feed well or you have intestinal worms given that as opposed to being in the league of adding,  you are in the loss league.


Someone who saw you months ago thinks you are into getting in shape. Another tells you, 'na umeisha'. It's a combination of many things. But the truth is,  it has more to do with stress than actually being passionate about what makes you happy.


At some point, I got really sick all of a sudden because of having walked a normal distance I used to cover. When I went to the hospital, I started feeling unwell. A cold had resulted in a fever and I had to be tested for everything to find out if I had something in my blood 'kamdudu kanaweza kuwa kamesneak'. They found nothing. That day, I had to be booked for bed rest as I waited to see the doctor. I was OK realistically,  that is according to the doctor. Yet I was not feeling well. My weight had greatly reduced. So in the intent of ensuring I get to spend inside there,  I was given medicine. Medicine that I wake up everyday,  look and feel like they remind me of that day when I was sick but not sick.


Henceforth,  my morale went low. My ambition died,  my reason for living was pricked, and I decided it was time. Now am no longer an employee. I feel more free and can sometime eat. My younger brother is even weighing more than I do. My sister who I live with thinks that I never take ugali and mboga because I don't work for it. I felt like, 'Shit,  this lady thinks it's only the most precious food currently in the country that I don't eat.' Sad that she only thought that I only dont love ugali and mboga. Truth is,  my life is not sweet. I hate that I gave up hope, I hate that I became thin,  I hate that I am where I am. Even chapatti has become unpalatable.


What's worse is that I pass the workplace without feeling a tinge of guilt that they pay me for having not worked. I had contemplated exiting,  but they told me to hold on. Now, I am in a dilemma. Wait,  can't they just sack me now! This is the kind of feeling I have. I sat with my line manager who was feeling like I was doing nothing and felt like telling her, 'Madam, have you ever found someone who sees money and says I don't want money?' If she knows of one,  then am not in that category.


I was to hand her my resignation letter but I have not. I feel empty, and indifferent. She had requested for it. I hate to think of the stress she has to go through because of me. Damn! If I was Ozzy Man,  I would have easily used the name destination fucked, dickhead and pussy in the same line without any ado. Simply put, I just have to be ethical in the face of being debased. Sic.


Am happy that I managed to take a certain lady for lunch, a campus girl. I forgot to ask what her name was,  forgot to ask for her number and forgot to tell her that she is truly a go getter. We met in the library. You meet with a guy,  talk to him for few minutes,  become friends and you don't get pricked asking to be taken for lunch. If she were a salesperson,  which she is given that she sells perfumes,  her client list would be bulging. And that is evident by her WhatsApp messages.


So we went to a modest restaurant in uptown Nairobi. Where a decent meal costs about 500. Initially,  we had planned to go for fries,  but given that it was Friday and that is the day I normally expect some cash, I decided to take her to a midrange eatery. Luckily for me, I also had cash backup in the event money did not show up through Mpesa.


I ordered for fries and sausage. What I never do because I rarely go for lunch. Ever since I relieved myself from walking helter skelter without a reason in the quest for a clientale,  I have been having peace. A reason why I decided to go for lunch with a lady I barely knew. Was she pretty? I bet she can work on that. Say,  she was averagely beautiful.


Then she started telling me about her stay in New York. It's crazy in the land of milk and honey. What's for sure is that you need to sync to new situations faster. When a man washes dishes,  all night and still has a day job to make ends meet, that is itself a real hustle. And the pay? Having a quote on your head in terms of what you are worth is important. Her host was an uncle who did menial jobs to make ends meet. They lived in a three bedroom house. They lived in a house where each bedroom was occupied by a different family with a shared sitting room. But it's easier making money in the US than in Kenya. Right?


More recently, her uncle had decided to be a teacher,  a profession that is synonymous with poor pay. I remember a certain priest from the US telling us the same about teachers in the US since teachers were on strike at about the same time he was in Kenya. A stingy guy who bought Meakins and thought it was better than Gilbeys. I refused to take his digits. Because I hate stingy people.


My guess is that this chic was probably deported, lies. Life was a real hustle for a high school graduate who just found herself in US. Juggling school and still working partime. Though when you are on student visa, it becomes illegal to work and the institution you are in can propagate your derpature and deportation back to the country. You need to be extra careful if you have to work because snitches are also in bulk. Even the person who hires you does it knowing it's risky,  but given you are in need of mullahs, the pay is peanuts and though the working conditions may not be deplorable, the end result is that you end up feeling inadequate. Conclusion, to make it in US,  you have to have thick skin.


Hasta  La Vista,  Baby.


[Picture Source: Pixabay]
Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...