Let me keep it simple

Monday 2 May 2016

A LONG SHORT


‘People hate to think bad things happening. So they always underestimate their likelihood.’

I love poetry. Out of sheer wit and passion because poetry is what is synonymous to derivatives in the financial miasma. They can be short, or long and are challenging to decipher. Similarly, you can long or short a derivative and they are not easy to decipher because they are esoteric. So yes, the two positions (long or short) are mutually exclusive.


Mmmmmmmmh! I bet you are at sea right now. If not, then you know about ‘The Big Short.’ Perhaps you also have also watched the series ‘Billions’. They both have investment grade rating in IMDB or rotten tomatoes. Sorry, they have high rating. The other day, I talked to some kin about betting. There is a person who did bet a company on the probability of a certain minnow clinching the title of the most followed league. Bet the guy has few hours to reaping big based on the high chances of his bet making a market.  Never mind that some pundits with marginal gen have trashed the ‘The Big Short’ as being irrelevant.


Life is a gamble, you either lose, win or maintain the status quo. If you bet against nothing, never think of making a kill. If you bet on the other hand, you either win or lose. There no sitting on the fence. The biggest gainers are those who act based on wit, yet there are some more who stumble upon gain based on sheer lack. Obviously, you know that the latter never smile because the probity of some prudent guy reaping from their idiocy is more than likely. Reason why the world allows for equity and not equality. See, equality has ‘al’, let’s assume that those two letters denote ‘all’ which we are used to. Equity on the other hand is aimed at moving towards equality. In other words, it is a subset of equality.


If you have ever done something, you know all well that it is never easy achieving the desired results. In economics, you know about insatiable human wants.  But we are all aiming at breaking even. When we consider the margin to achieve pleasant and abnormal results we either backtrack or advance. If we advance, we achieve results.  Those that make you smile sheepishly and feel like you are indeed a winner above all other immortal beings. Recall back when you were in high or primary school, didn’t you feel on top of the world when you scored the best results above everyone else. Then years later, you find that guy you used to beat doing well and you feel like asking him for a favour because you have hit a rock bottom.


‘It aint what you don’t know that that gets you into trouble.’


I decided to weed some kales on our small garden the other day. The guy we had assigned the duty was kind of, ‘I won’t soil my hands yet I can make easy bucks somewhere else.’ When it gets to that point where you are begging, you usually find an alternative. Why not try it yourself? Unless the issue is rocket science, you have the option of taking the bull by its horns. I went to till the garden after a five-year hiatus and guess what? You guessed it right, I managed to finish weeding it but not after feeling like I was pulling a tooth.


First, there was clearing the overgrown live fence with a blunt panga that took up so much time I felt like I was whistling in a moonless night but I managed to finish because of the few tricks that come as a result of spending some time in the shags. Then there was weeding out the shrubs and since I never did agriculture in high school, I had no idea whether I removed symbiotic or poisonous weeds. And tilling while it is a rainy season is a faux pas. I never had an idea it would be terrible. The ground is usually sticky and it takes so much time because mounds of soil sticks on the hoe so that you need to much energy to cut through the ground if you don’t remove the soil. But it’s also a plus given that you only hit the ground once and you are good to go if there are no mounds. Apparently, you need to safeguard your eyes because you will intermittently have soil jetting into your eyes which means you have to adorn an eye gear as a safety measure.


In the long run, I made it. I finished tilling the land and also leveling the fence to my able best. Whether it was to standard, I am not giving a damn because there is no ISO to certify my work. Given that I was doing it to kill time, time that resulted from getting bored as a result of perusing. Because perusal is what resulted in me deciding to watch a movie. And I could easily relate with the jargon in ‘The Big Short’ because of having this privileged gen. Ideally, what drove me to tilling the land was because I was conned. Which we do once in a while. Like some guy may sell KICC just like Victor Lustig sold the Eiffel Tower.


Hitherto, I had never wanted to till but I saw it as some form of revenge. I must have been very bitter. There is this phony Facebook page that gave me hopes of finding the job of my dreams. But not everything is real as it turns out. Luckily, I never succumbed to their luscious connivery in terms of parting with sums of cash because I will never pay to be engaged in a job. A day later, I found an SMS I had not subscribed to directing me where to find jobs. Men the struggle is real.


You see, when you are sometimes in need of a job, you always think all the opportunities that come about are genuine. You seize them as they come. However, they are never the best opportunities. The best opportunities are those you initiate. Those that you have done some reliable research through carrying out feasibility studies (I loved the way guys who reaped big from short selling of CDOs and MBSes in The Big Short smiled all the way to the bank did their research). But we all fail to seize opportunities. Like every other bugger, I want security. That of being in a job knowing full well I will be paid at the end of the month. Yet when am paid, I don’t invest. I consume all the income forgetting that a rainy day is nigh. Or I should invest after doing some valuations of the investment I am to venture in.


The theory of everything. Can the youth forget about breaking bad to focus on breaking the illusion that they are just a bunch of couples who want to merry and never aid in contributing to the nations growth? That’s a fallacious argument BTW. Anyway, when you are in a quest for something, you will always find those things that relate to what you do and they contribute to ameliorating your ken in the field of perpetuation. Someone called it 10,000 hours’ rule. Some one hand me Outliers, authored by Malcolm Gladwell.


Hasta La Vista Baby.


[Picture Source:  My Own]
Share:

RECENT POST

Undressing youself, The echo effect

Once in a while, it's essential to break away, have a debut in the unmined, and see a poignant reflection on the losses brought about by...