Let me keep it simple

Wednesday 20 July 2016

TECHNICAL MENTALITY


If our office had ears, if only people could hear the words we say. Lately, there seems to be some form of dissonance in how I am working and achieving results. That behind, there is prudence in it all. The lesson learnt, the skills gained, the pain undergone, the pangs of disappointments we have to endure and the success stories untold that make our spirits rise out of our chests with shouts of joy echoing around. When all are wrapped into one, they become what is called the wholesomeness of humanity. I have realized that in order to be safe, as a person, there is nothing wrong with erring. Not that excellence is not a virtue. It is. But countless times, we found ourselves in already made situations. I am a victim.


The other day I sat with a colleague after hours in the office waiting for a client. I wanted to seek his insight as a seasoned workmate who has with stormed the vagaries of the industry so much so that he has become independent and can handle so much I even admire his patience, wit and the clientele he has built. What did he tell me, ‘Run my friend and seek a better opportunity.’ That is after asking what I had pursued while in campus.

At that point, I looked at him crestfallen. Why has he stayed put yet he is telling me to run? Does he know what I really want? Is he right or does he have malicious intent? He may or may not be right. Only time will tell. As a motto, life can be a journey of losses or one full of roses. You lose one battle after the other. However, in certain instances, you gain more than you would have imagined. But one quote, one morning gave me the psyche that I really needed, that “Cowards die many times before their deaths. The brave experience death only once.


When I got a new job, a job I would never have done by hook or crook having sworn that it is not the kind of place I wanted to venture into after schooling. Then, one day, while reading some professionally written blog, I was convinced beyond any reasonable doubt that indeed, a career in such an industry would provide a goodstart in my future endeavours. It’s funny that the job came right after I had cleared my professional paper whose results I will receive in a week’s time. I rue why I never read a certin book I have now forgot the title and author.


I want to tarry for a while. Even if closing a sale will not be easy at start and results will not be forthcoming.  Provided that there is something good attained at the end of the day. This is because the best things in life have no monetary attachment to them. But when they become valued, the price is quite enormous. They are like platinum in a nutshell. I am yet to see how platinum looks like. Like they say, as you crawl, you wish you would one day be walking. When you start balancing and becoming steady, you want to run and the list is endless. Maybe, if I get to see platinum, I will be indifferent and want an even greater challenge.


Being employed is great. But hiding about the same is not. Especially when you are in a job that I am in. Soon, everyone knows what you are doing and you need them to. Because you have to tell one or two friends, which will spread like bushfire. And when you do, you have exposed that you are attached somewhere. The place where no one wanted to go because it was practically not high yielding monetarily. But after being in the industry for quite some time. There is no denial that even the far I have come, someone would want just a piece of it.


There is a pal of mine who we usually engage in chitchats while reminiscing our woes of being poor performers. I need to change tact, right. Ideally, I want to cross the bridge to be performer. This is a gradual process that will bring be unraveled by this blog in due course. I trust this blog for one reason. It really tells if things will come to pass. Like, looking back, there are pitfalls that I have fallen inside. There are moments I have felt enriched and there are occasions that have come as a blessing. So my fate is not cast in stone.


Did I say I have been performing badly? Oh yes, figures never lie. My dashboard has a red flag. It is telling me each morning that I need to make amends with someone to hit the green flag. The green flag means a change in fortunes. It’s synonymous to the proverb that says, ‘Make hay while the sun shines.’ There is nothing better than having greens on your dashboard. When you do, you will probably do away with eating greens. Kales for that matter without an appetizing stew with some organic accompaniments.


Let me flash-forward. I am seated with a smartly dressed corporate honcho, somewhere in a serene aura. Probably in a ritzy hotel, or an expansive office where the lights are iridescent and you rarely notice that the walls have corners. I then start imagining. What if this was me being served at my own pleasure. Like there was a certain video I watched on Facebook where a certain lady went to meet the mother of her boyfriend and immediately she was given a handshake, she went into euphoria. Imagining she was being given a gold after a hurdle and then confetti being blown in the air to celebrate her for achieving such an onerous task.


I am imagining I am in that position. Not in the sense of bliss after meeting an in law, but, meeting people wo will give me good business. People who will make my wallet bulge with sheer potency if I become a witty raconteur who has mustered the art ‘Maneno matamu hutoa nyoka pangoni.’


To sum it up, I realized I had poor relationship skills. I needed to nurture them. As I continue doing so, I am shifting from being that reclusive person to an overtly expressive individual. That never comes easy. You need an avenue for such. A long the way, you learn a lot. If you are paid to learn that skill and bring in results, then why not. A man must work. Shoes soles must wear out, the collar of the shirt must constantly turn brown if white at the end of the day due to perpetual movements and the best bit is you learn to listen and not be the teller of stories. Why? We have two years and one mouth. Listen more and talk less.



Hasta La Vista Baby.


[Picture Source: My Own]
Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...