Let me keep it simple

Tuesday 20 October 2015

STRATHMORE CFA


I remember reading 'My CFA journey.' A muse by a certain blogger on the probable factually  journey of a bugger who was anticipating to have a charter under his belt which is patriotically a heroic feat now that the number of chartered individuals is still minimal in Kenya. Maybe, he succeeded. I am not going to go into the nitty gritty. I am in one such class and the Department of Immigration has still denied me the right to register for the exams because the process of acquiring a passport in Kenya is quite bureaucratic and somehow snail paced. A single omission of an alphabetical letter on my birth certificate has changed everything about the whole process. I am not sure whether I will get it in time before the second registration of the exam. I am still passportless one and a half months down the line after application as the status on my application is still reading processing. As a patient person, I keep hope alive.


That aside this is my CFA journey up until now.


The first day I entered the class, I was all sweaty and looked like a wretched out of place homeless guy with a pale and contrived visage and compounded by the fact that I am this dark guy, you can imagine how haggard and dreary I looked.


Then, I was still working in Mombasa Road. A place that should roughly take you like twenty minutes and you are in ‘Strath’ as it is colloquially known. Nairobi jam can dampen the spirit especially when it decides to show its languor when you really need to be in a given place. I never went to class the first week because of matters out of my ken. But the second week, I sure was going to go to class. To find out about the chaps I was to be in class with and just to get acquainted with the higher learning institution.


I remember going to one Patrick’s office to be given direction on the CFA class. I never found him but opted to still inquire in an office nearby, I have forgotten about because I rarely frequent the administration building. The guy noted that I was from walking judging by how I was sweating profusely on a slightly chilly evening in Madaraka. Management Science Building (MSB 11) was supposed to be my class. The class was warm, well lit and nicely furnished in comparison to 'the prestigious University of Nairobi' . My immediate former Alma Mater. Not with the mundane desks found in most institutions. Though the classroom walls were bare, the windows were large and a cross of the Lamb of God, a well mounted projector and a clock were distinguishable. But the way the slider which illuminates projected notes rolled downwards after being switched on was quite startling for a guy who had no such interaction even though I have celebrated silver jubilee. The unlimited amount of energy the students contained was heartening. Guys were in nice fitting suits. Ladies in glossy colours that radiated with charm and allure. I felt like I was in a new setting, was this a class or a conference!


The lecturer that day was one Richard Muriithi, CFA. That suffix signifies a lot in the financial milieu. He is of average height, chocolate complexioned with an amiable smile and eyes gleaming with energy. His physique is compact unlike most lecturers who have a hate relationship with the gym. He was in a body-hugging and fitted shirt and a slim tie that amplified the sturdiness of his physique. His rippling biceps and triceps highlighted their powerful posture. One could be tempted to confuse he was brawny more than brainy. But judging by the fact that he is a former Bush boy and a comrade at actuary classes in UON, his acumen is unquestionable. Guess the ladies liked his well-built appearance and soft voice, the voice of consideration and attention (they came in numbers to the class). Again he is no vicious tutor who glares at the class with red flames dancing in his eyes as he expects an answer to a question even the world’s most intelligent mastermind couldn’t provide an answer to (Just kidding). Comrades however said he was not that experienced with the command of his lectures as compared to seasoned lecturers in other course units. And having read about his bio on Linked In, I can attest to the fact that it surely requires time to nurture the skill of imparting knowledge to easily distracted students in an intuitive way that is humorous and keeps the tempo of the rhythm cozy. He once did greet me because I am a back bench dude and never contribute anything in class having been out of place during his class since I'm a homebody in earthy tones.


I recall, I took my school ID during the first week on Wednesday morning just before heading to work. I had initially earmarked the previous Friday before reporting as the day I was to take my school ID before the official start of the semester. Unfortunately, that is the weekend Obama arrived in Kenya and the roads having been closed, most of the staff had taken a break. On Saturday, the staff was nowhere near the institution apart from the tall concierge or is he a sentry I had initially explained to my predicament on Friday about the ID but he told me the same story of the staff being on forced holiday. I have never had time to enquire about this guy, mainly because I am usually busy at work and by the time I arrive in the institution, it’s usually very late and I like my space, just being alone and observing.


Strathmore is an ID based institution, like UON of late due to the Alshabab threat that has aided in the employment of more men and women as guards with metal detectors they have no knowledge of the working. Unlike UON, there are no metal detectors in Strathmore. You use your ID to gain entry almost everywhere. There are very few buildings which do not require an ID to gain entry like the SBS (Strathmore Business School, sic). It has this café that has average status but still better than Student Centre at UON. The only problem is that you need to return your plate and cup after eating. That is something my comrade from UON, Julius taught me.


Already, I am torn between writing this post and concentrating on my studies that require a lot of time. This studies are getting into my nerves. Yes, they are. I have to tender it like newlyweds do their marriage. Writing is like the boys in my life, they keep on coming between my marriage to reading for CFA exams. I have decided to cut the crap and write. Already, I have wasted many man hours that I should have spent reading. That way, I would have eased my backlog on studying for the exams because there are ten units that I should be reading for. The only problem now is to be consistent with my reading. They say in order to make it to being a CFA, a minimum of 300 hours should be dedicated to study. I have done a paltry 30 hours as at present. 

There is this dude who probably acts like the student assistant. Maybe his name is Jeremy, I factually don't remember his name. He a is tall and chocolate complexioned dobber like over 6". Having observed the oddities in his mien, there is no denial that he oozes a sphere of reclusivity. Sometimes you see him in apparels so lousy you wonder whether he truly takes time to choose while at his fashion dispencer. Having seen him reading Walter Isaacson's 'Steve Jobs' biography for close to a month, there is a hypothetical conjecture   i formulated that he is either an FIT (Faculty Of Information Technology) student or a just another lazy
reader struggling to finish a book yours truly tried reading as an Ebook and the disastrous results are not penable. However his drab nature has probably put me off because he appears like that guy who wants to be sophisticated but that feat ideally backfired because he looks more wretched than serious. But maybe it's just me. You look at him and even though you may be mistaken to conclude he comes from those middle income suburbs where guys have an aloof trait that they will not shed because they think society bestows upon them such exclusive rights. 

Enough of dudes, someone may be tempted to brand me a fag. Strathmore has not given me the slightest iota as to it being what it is highly regarded for. But in many other spheres, it qualifies as an institution that adds status and gives    
one the signature oomph as opposed to the currently out of touch UON that has given undue preference to being an institution of advertising at the expense of affording quality education.

Hasta La Vista, Baby. 

[Photo Source: CFA Institute]
Share:

RECENT POST

Let's Try Again

You are enveloped in the comfort of your bed; the ebbs and flows of a neon-pink vision dance in the darkness behind your closed eyes. How th...